Need help making some tough decisions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all! Been lurking around this forum for the past month or so, doing research for this winters remodeling project, the basement. I have convinced the wife that the 50" TV will not suit our viewing needs any longer wink.gif and she has agreed to let me build a theater room! I have two areas in the basement that I find suitable for said room.

Area A-
About 13x20. Three windows and two doors, would be next to laundry room and directly under bedrooms. Could fit 130" or so screen against the wall.

Area B-
8x20(most possible length). No windows, under family room. Largest non-AT screen size would be 98", most likely to use DW. AT screen would accommodate about 110", likely spandex.

I like the larger screen size for area a but I'm not sure its necessary. Area a would also be much more to construct using good sound proofing materials which would be needed since the bedrooms are above it. Area b seems like the choice to me and I need to start planning this project soon to make my deadlines, but I am concerned I might not be as happy with the smaller screen. Would love anyones else's take on this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 12:44 PM

Liked: 14
It would be really difficult to assess this for you, given the fact that it's your house and your family.

What will it primarily be for? Football? Movies?

What do you intend to incorporate into your home theater. Would it be 3d? or 2d? What kind of sound system are you planning? Do you like it loud ? Is there room to mount the components and speakers? Will you want a home theater PC, blu-ray player, cable or satellite box?

What will be your seating?

Will you be using it all the time (like I do) or for special occasions? Will you want to incorporate a home bar? Popcorn maker? billiards?

My own feeling is, without considering at all the above factors, I would lean toward where I could put the biggest screen and where I could have the most options to do different things in the space.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Lone Cloud,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Sorry for the lack of info in the first post. Said theater will primarily be used for video games and movies, with some TV/sports thrown in. 3D is out seeing as the wife gets nausea watching it. Sound system consist of 2 floor standing klipsch, one matching center, and a custom 15" subwoofer, with plans for 7.1 in the room. Distortion sets in and its still not nearly loud enough but I refuse to spend thousand on speakers (for now) Room A would have plenty of space for mounting everything, along with having some extras. Right now I am leaning twoards two rows of seating, with the rear being on a riser. Current systems uses ps3 as a media server, outdoor HD antenna. The only reason I have been strongely considering this smaller space is do to everyone's raving about spandex. I could still have 110" by placing the front three behind the screen. Plus then I can use the larger room as my daughters playroom. Would having the screen literally be wall to wall inadvisable?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 257
If a room is dedicated in use, it isually get's designed to be optimal for such.

7.1 Sound and a big image demands space. Otherwise you turn what should be an expansive experience into a"little thing".

The smaller room would suffer badly as fa as acoustics, as well as delivering anything remotely close to being a expansive sound stage. One can always sit closer to any image to achieve the perspective of having a BIG screen. Parents have been hauling Kids back from having their noses pressed against TVs for years. But "Tunnel" configured rooms by their nature channel sound, and create adverse reflections of both sound and light.

From years of experience I'll irrevocably state that 8' distance between the R & L mains with the Center jammed between isn't going to do much more than make a loud noise.

More would have to be known about your specifics to make really effective judgements, but know this....you'll most certainly get out of your room in proportion to what you but into it....or not.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com