N00b guide to painting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm (finally) going to paint a screen in the next week or two and would like to try and collect all the tips and materials in one place -- I can't be the only one having trouble finding it all as it is now, spread out over dozens and dozens of threads.

I'm totally clueless about this stuff. What do I need other than the paints for my mix? I believe it's recommended to roll the first coat or two if painting on BOC as I am. A roller handle (what kind?), roller covers, mixing trays, tarps, squirrel mixer, bucket to mix in, Graco HV2900, tape and tacks? Am I missing anything? Assume I have absolutely nothing (which is true) and that I need to get absolutely everything starting from zero. Where to buy, brands, models, prices are all appreciated too of course.

Thanks in advance and I'll try to get this OP cleaned up and all the info added for future reference for those who need it.

Below will be my compiled list of necessary items. Please chime in if you have additional info on what else is needed or what kind/where to buy for anything here. Links and prices appreciated. If something looks wrong please let me know.

• plastic tarps (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) -- how's this? Husky 9' x 12' .31 mil (10 qty) $1.88
  • nylon sock-style paint strainer (Home Depot; I think I saw it in-store but can't seem to find it on website -- is it this?)
  • squirrel cage mixer (Amazon) $5.50 plus $5 shipping I think
  • sanding sponge ( fine/medium for $5 at Home Depot
  • at least two gallon paint cans, one for mixing your paints, one to strain it into -- about $5 each
  • blue tape and/or thumbtacks (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) $3.50
  • (paint dependent) syringes (what kind, where to buy?)
  • (if rolling) roller handle (what kind?) (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc)
  • (if rolling) roller cover (3/16" or maybe 3/8", NOT FOAM -- not sure if polyester is okay) (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc)
  • (if rolling) roller tray
  • (if spraying) HVLP (Graco HV2900 on ebay) $40
  • (if spraying) breathing masks (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) -- what kind?

General. Tips
  • Mixing the paint with the Squirrel Mixer: "Just don't "Whip" the paint....stir it just fast enough you see a whirlpool start to form. But if you hear a 'sucking' sound, slow down...you pulling too much air into the paint. That means creating a wealth of Bubbles in the SF Mix, that while they will strain out, they also tend to separate metallic particles. Don't suck.....just stir very well." -- MM

Misc. Spraying-specific Tips:
  • air volume control on sprayer all the way open; adjust spray by distance to screen and speed of movement across screen (12-14")
  • clean sprayer between coats
  • 70% overlap of coats, always drop to next row OFF the screen (i.e. go an extra foot past the screen before dropping down and returning the other way for your next row of paint)
  • wait 30 minutes to 1 hours between coats, depending on how heavy the coat is as well as temperature and humidity
  • Proper use of sock-style strainer to judge viscosity courtesy of MM
  • "Watch out for little Gnats. They seem attracted to Latex paint. If you get one, or a piece of dust or lint, unless you can easily pluck it off without smearing paint...let the paint dry and then brush/ lightly rub it off. The drying paint dessicates tiny bugs and dries them to a crispy texture, as it also does with hair and lint." -- MM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

COMPILED INFORMATION FOR NOOBS
These are compiled for your benefit. They have been gleaned from good sources, so simply don't deviate. smile.gif

MIXING and SPRAYING SILVER FIRE
For starters, before reading this list below, GO HERE. It will probably answer most mixing methodology questions.
The following information has been gleaned from posts by MississippiMan and pb_maxxx almost exclusively on the Silver Fire thread...
  • The base and viscosity can all be mixed in one swoop
  • The colorant needs to mixed separately.
  • Syringes and/or measuring cups are useful for measuring smaller amounts.
  • YES -- the water in the Silver Fire recipe is used as part of the mix. See next item...
  • The 100ml of water is used to ring the colorant from your measuring utensils and is part of the colorant mix...
    A good idea for this is putting 100ml into a glass measuring cup... then after measuring each of the color components into a separate container... to rinse your measuring utensil in the 100ml of water. After all the colors have been measured and the utensils have been rinsed... then add the rinsed 100ml of rinsed colors/water (which now looks like a nasty dark brown water mixture) to the colorant mix and stir thoroughly. After you have determined which silver fire shade you are going with... then add the proper amount of colorant to the base and viscosity mixture. Stir thoroughly with a squirrel cage mixer and spray. Do NOT put the mixer on a high speed.
  • Sprayer set to “Wide Open” and Vertical Pattern
  • Typically a 2.0mm or 1.5mm tip is used. 1.5mm provides a finer spray.
  • Overlap is needed by 70% each row
  • If doing a duster....5 seconds tops, shooting from 16"- 18" away. "Dusting" your moving at roughly 3' per second and your slightly further away from the Screen. Regular speed is 2' per second and you shoot from 12" to 14". Maintain 70% overlap.
  • It's a good idea to remix (with squirrel cage) after the paint has set for over 2 hour "covered".
  • CLEAN the sprayer thoroughly after every coat.

PAINTS
Silver Fire Thread

Lots of other questions too, like: How much do the basic ingredients make? Is it enough to cover 80", 90", etc. and with how many coats? Things like these are interspersed though several different threads and posts. I already invested in all the paint, but it's a pain to try to track down all this information in the forums.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, exactly, I don't mean to get into the paint mixes themselves, although I might include links to the threads for each mix just for the sake of being complete. It's the other stuff and the process I'd like to collate in one spot.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 02:32 AM

Liked: 11
I've saved a few threads that could help as I'm in the same situation waiting for supplies before painting.

These are a couple of MMs threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1152514/videos-of-stirring-straining-spraying-and-cleaning-up-after-you-spray-silver-fire

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1174876/black-screen

And of course the SF 2.5 thread.

Also take a look at the other treads MM has started as you can find more good tips on painting.

I do recall MM recommending a 70% overlap when spraying. And he always recommend spraying as it surpasses any other paint application technique by far and gives a far better result.

As for speed when painting I do recall reading:

Dusting - 3 feet pr sec. (very thin layer)
Normal - 1-2 feet pr sec. (normal layer after 2-3 dusters)

But this is all variables that has to be tested do to different needle size, paint viscosity, surface to be painted and of course different paint guns.

This is just me pointing in the right directions. But don't take my word for it. Go to the right threads and learn from the masters that have done and are doing this on a daily basis.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, and I'll definitely be adding those links and the tips in them to the OP.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 12:05 PM

I will be posting things that I have found from MississippiMan and pb_maxxx here, in my first post on this thread. Stay tuned.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated OP with list of materials I can think of so far, please chime in with corrections/additions.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 PM

I went with these syringes from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320914889924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

They are 50 ml and cost $3.99 for two shipping included. I'll guess you can get it cheaper in a pharmacy in the US but not in Norway.

Another option are the syringes for oil or battery acid at a car parts dealer. They would cost more but are larger and probably easier to clean.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 AM

Here's another very inspirational thread by MM with WOW factor.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1159573/the-really-big-picture-show-revisited-a-s-i-l-v-e-r-solution
post #10 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM

I just ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JLJDQ0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It says it's 100CC/ML, but if you read the description, it means 100mL.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimus View Post

I just ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JLJDQ0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
It says it's 100CC/ML, but if you read the description, it means 100mL.

Actually it means it has graduated measuring marks for both CCs and MLs

I ordered 2.of 'em

(power user) cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #12 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 PM

Nice. Yeah, I debated getting one for every large paint quantity, in case I do this again for someone else.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 AM

post #14 of 17 Old 09-28-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Talk about a total noob -- what do you mix the paint into? Another can? Do they sell empties? So I mix the paints into an empty gallon can (assuming that's correct), stir it in there with the squirrel cage, and then what do I strain it into? Directly into the sprayer container with the sock strainer over it, or into another empty can first?

And what kind of mask is recommended/necessary?

Polyester roller covers? Microfiber? Woven fabric?
post #15 of 17 Old 09-29-2012, 03:56 AM

I'm not quite there yet but my plan is to have two 2 gallon buckets for the final mix. Mix in one bucket and strain into the other. Clean the empty one and the strainer sock and have it ready to do another strain if I need to stir again or decide to add more colorant after testing.

As for the mask, 3M has some good once that should suit you just fine.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-23-2012, 02:18 PM

A small update on the 100 ml syringe. They are currently $3.77 USD on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100ML-Plastic-Reusable-Syringe-for-Measuring-Hydroponics-/270998423595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f18c3c82b

A few dollars saved for other appliances smile.gif
post #17 of 17 Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I actually found one lying around, no idea where it came from.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page