"Halo" around screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-25-2012, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just hung my projector (Optoma MT300 - a "private label for Wal Mart HD66) and built a quick 90" screen out of black out cloth. I'm shooting about 10 1/2 ft. I hung the projector and screen over the weekend during the day with a lot of ambient light. I got a chance to look at it tonight and i noticed a 3 inch "halo" effect on the wall around the screen (top & bottom of screen mostly). No image, just light. I haven't had a chance to do much adjusting of the projector but I'm wondering what causes this. My projector experience is limited to outdoor theater so this is new to me. As for the picture itself, it's not too bad for $20 worth of BOC & $20 worth of lumber. This is temporary screen to be used until the rest of my "honey do's" are done. I can't post a picture of the "halo" until this weekend as I'll be working out of town until Friday night. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This might be the cause of not using the projectors full resolution. I saw the same effect when I hooked up my laptop to my full hd epson with only 720p picture. Thought there was something wrong with the zoom but 1080p sorted that problem.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check that out when get home.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh92020 View Post

Thanks, I'll check that out when get home.

The other potential issue could be significant light leakage around the DLP Chip because it's not seated correctly. That would be a "Exchange it immediately" sorta thing.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Saw someone else who had this issue on the HD66 thread. Said it was because the projector is 16:10. I set it up using my Dish Network Hopper. Spoke w/Optoma Tech Support. They said use a DVD to set it up rather than the Dish receiver. They also suggested doing a black velvet frame around the whole screen (mounted on the wall) to absorb light spill. MM - asked about the dlp chip not set correctly, tech said if that was an issue, picture wouldn't look sharp at all. What is the downside to: a - doing the velvet mask (sounds somewhat dirty, doesn't it?) or b - building a 16:10 frame? Most of what we watch will come through the Dish Receiver. Mostly sports, a few PPV movies (not those kind!) a nd a boatload of Lifetime "chick flicks". You know Happy Wife...
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page