Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys

Hello to everyone.
First message in AVS, so first of all thanks to all the new guys (for not making me feel dumb asking questions) and the pro's (MississippiMan, PbXXX, etc, etc) for answering them. I recently bought a house and convinced management (A.K.A the wife) that a theater room was a neccesary must! So far I think I have the handle on the distance, location, type of projector (room is dark basement, so decided on theater projector rather than video), etc. My budget is less than $2500 and based on what I read I can do something decent. Im thinking about going w/ the EPSON HC 8350 (based on numerous reviews from several sources) so the first question is:

1. Is this the best option? Suggestions? Priced around $1200 is a balance and doesnt eat away the budget.

Second and most important issue to solve is the screen. I definitely dont want to loose contrast, resolution, etc or at least the least amount possible. Im shooting for a 100" screen (4'1"" x 7'3") . The first question in this category is

2. Which is better, painted or fabric? I know must people will say "it depends..." but I also know there gotta be one that has an advantage over the other.

If choosing paint, then Ill come back later after I read a bit more on what the best method of construction is, it would be of great help to point out a thread. But that leads to one question that I havent found the answer.

3. I have read silverfire and the mudd paint. Pros? Cons? Which one is the favorite? Why?

If choosing fabric is the way to go, then same thing, Ill come back later after I read a bit more on what the best method of construction is, it would be of great help to point out a thread. But that leads to one question that I havent found the answer.

4. I know blackout fabric is the easy way out, but quality is lost. How much? Is it an acceptable loss? Suggestions?

5. I also read about high end fabrics, such as stewart firehawk, etc. Is there such a substantial increase in quality in going this way? Is firehawk the best?

Sorry guys, I know its quite a bit but I have an info overload and want to have the setup ready for Christmas....Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYNooBDude View Post

1. Is this the best option? Suggestions? Priced around $1200 is a balance and doesnt eat away the budget.
Second and most important issue to solve is the screen. I definitely dont want to loose contrast, resolution, etc or at least the least amount possible. Im shooting for a 100" screen (4'1"" x 7'3") . The first question in this category is

I just got that projector for $999 refurb from Epson, and I love it. It's just on my white wall right now, but it still looks great. My throw distance is about 11' right now and it works even over 100" pretty nicely, and that's even with the bulb in ECO mode.

Before you buy it though, how far back will you have the projector mounted (throw distance), and how much ambient light do you think you're going to have? Both of those are the main factors of what projector brightness you should aim for.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Your solution is simple, straightforward, and inexpensive.

Substrate: 48" x 96" x 1/8"
Thrifty White Hardboard (Home Depot) $12.00
RS-MaxxMudd Standard
Spray using $40.00 HVLP Gun
Trim using 3.25" MDF Trim wrapped in Black Velvet
Hang directly onto the wall with flexible adhesive or on lightweight perimeter frame

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #4 of 7 Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Your solution is simple, straightforward, and inexpensive.
Substrate: 48" x 96" x 1/8"
Thrifty White Hardboard (Home Depot) $12.00
RS-MaxxMudd Standard
Spray using $40.00 HVLP Gun
Trim using 3.25" MDF Trim wrapped in Black Velvet
Hang directly onto the wall with flexible adhesive or on lightweight perimeter frame
Well, that pretty much answers what I'll be doing as well, so long as I can spray SF on that board, which I'm assuming I can. wink.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

@ Pessimus
[how far back will you have the projector mounted (throw distance), and how much ambient light do you think you're going to have?[/I]

I also have to add a wall to close out a section of a basement that currently has an open concept kinda theme going on. The estimate distance will be between 11.5 and 12.5 ft, when done, depending if I go for the in-wall cabinet or keep it simple and do a simple wall. I checked and both these distances should be fine. The ceiling height is what limits me, since its 7.5'. In term of light, its an underground basement with a very small window that even during the day, its pretty dark. This window will be out of the movie theater once I add the wall.
Im shooting for a final screen w/ black velvet and trim, very much like the one cgrant34 did (see below) except I want to try to put it inside a "cutout" within the drywall for two reasons, to avoid any one inadvertently hitting it and to add led rope light.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1423942/first-diy-screen-build

@MississippiMan
Is it safe to say that by recommending RS-MaxxMudd Standard, you would pick this option over Silver Fire? Ive also read many people recommend the nylon paint strainer...Is this only for SF? Is there any advantage by going with TWH over sintra as a substrate?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYNooBDude View Post

@MississippiMan
Is it safe to say that by recommending RS-MaxxMudd Standard, you would pick this option over Silver Fire? Ive also read many people recommend the nylon paint strainer...Is this only for SF? Is there any advantage by going with TWH over sintra as a substrate?

You Guys are cuttin' into my Beach time !mad.gif

Sheesh.....rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

A Silver Fire v2.5 2.0 would be perfect for you...just a bit more involved and expensive. Oh...I'm sure your NooB status won't hold you back if your a determined sort....it's just that RS-MaxxMudd is easier...and you'd lose no performance whatsoever. With SF though, you actually gain some PoP & Sizzle that goes beyond what RS-MM can offer.

Sintra / Cometex is the preferred. substrate...make no mistake. Bought in the right size and trimmed, it can offer the best possible, ready to paint on surface, and allow for a 2" area beyond the actual "viewable" screen area to use screws to attach the material to the wall, as well as leave a area over which to apply your Velvet Trim.

But it also costs many times as much cash as the TWH, and when smaller screens are the order of the day, TWH is a hard choice to pass up.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2012, 02:00 PM

I'm totally new at this, but I've been lurking through most of the Silver Fire posts, and I'd say 2.0 is consistent with MM's usual recommendations (not to sound like a parrot). You don't need to go darker since it sounds like the room is already going to be pretty dark. Your throw distance is about 1 to 1.5' greater than mine. According to the calculator, I hit the wall at about 28 fL. I'm probably going to do SF at 3.5 or 4.0. At your max possible distance and 100" screen, you're hitting it at 22 fL, so yeah, you probably wouldn't want darker than 2.0. The paint wasn't too difficult to mix, provided you have the equipment discussed in the forum. Here's what I just posted last night. It was pretty straightforward, at least to me, even though it sounds complicated. What I said there about the two Da-Lite's may help your decision, too.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page