New projector and screen project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-29-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a few questions before I start my venture of fun. First of all my dimensions are 21’long x 25’wide and 8’ ceiling with windows on the east and west side of the room. Right now I have just regular blinds but was thinking of going to blackout shades to get rid of the ambient light. My walls are a light tan and ceiling is a flat white. I am either going to go with the epson5010 or wait for the 5020 to come out and hang it from my ceiling. I would like to make a screen around 100”. I’m trying to make the best possible condition for what I can control. I’m planning on using sintra (unless there is something better) and using a sprayer to adhere the paint.
1) Should I paint the wall that holds the screen a dark flat brown or would it matter much keeping the color it is?
2) 85% of the time I will be using this setup for total dark night time movie viewing. The other 15% will be watching sports during the day, playing Xbox 360, or watching something with the lights on because poker is at play. What would be the best mixture of sf 2.5 or rs-maxxmudd (is one better than the other)? From what I gathered maxxmudd is more for roll on paint job and sf if for spaying on.
3) Is it better to do a light dusting for every coat or spray 2-3 light dustings and then make them heavier until the screen has the desired paint on it?
4) Which aspect ratio should I do (2.35:1 or 16:9)? I was thinking 2.35:1 because I’ll be watching mostly movies. If I make the screen 2.35:1 would that get rid of the top and bottom lines that usually come with movies on a 16:9 screen?
5) From looking at the projector pro calculator on a 100” screen it says to have a throw distance of 14’, is that an estimate or the best distance I should put the projector?
6) My seating is approximately 10 feet away from the screen is 100” a good size or would it be better to go smaller for the best possible picture?

I’m sure I’m forgetting something but I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. If there is anything else I should be looking at or I missed can you please fill me in.
OR should I scrap the whole thing and just get a replacement 55-60 led or plasma because my room will not give me a picture I want.

Thanks in advance to those that can give me a hand.

At night with the lights on (thinking I may have to remove the bulbs in the light that is closes to the screen placement):

Durring the morning with the sun coming up from the east:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 PM

Liked: 11
I have to make this brief for now, I saw this late.

If most of the content will be movies, then I am a fan of 2.35:1 for the aspect ratio. I finished a screen like that this summer (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1307389/new-2-35-1-silver-fire-screen-project). And yes, it will eliminate the top and bottom bars on widescreen movies. Just be aware that the resulting 16:9 image (when watching sports on TV) will be only about 85". This is assuming a 2.23:1 screen that is 8 feet wide, which will be about 106" diagonal. A 100" 16:9 will be significantly less wide.

By the way, PIP can get you two 50" images side by side on a 106" 2.35:1 screen. I have done it. GREAT for football season.

If you can, try to get eyes on a widescreen movie projected on a 16:9 screen by the projector you plan to buy. I went with the 2.35:1 screen because my projector has a relatively anemic contrast ratio, and resulted in rather bothersome bars. The epson contrast ratio may be such that they won't bother you.

Pick a throw distance within about 10% of the minimum the projector can do to maximize lumens (the more you zoom in, the more lumens are lost).

Just my opinion, but I think 10' away is plenty for a 100" . I sit 12 to 13 feet away from mine.

Don't think the color of the wall the screen is on will matter much. Ceiling and adjoining walls will matter much more.

I am guessing(MM would know better) that a Silver Fire V2.5 3.0 screen might do quite well. Silver Fire is meant to combat ambient light, so it will look better with the lights on than the Maxx mudd.

If yo stay with the projector plan, you won't regret it. A 106" diagonal has so much more impact than a measley 50 or 60" TV, you won't believe it. If you go to the trouble to use indirect lighting, you will NOT BELIEVE how good it can look with what seems like a bright room.

Application method has been discussed many times, and It is now my bed time. Silver Fire MUST be sprayed, Maxx Mudd (one of the mixes, don't recall which) CAN be rolled, but spraying is still better.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 202
NewGate88,

Thanks for taking up some slack!

bisache,

Don't even doubt that with the right PJ splashing onto a SF Screen that you cannot have exactly what your hoping for. a 100" 2.35:1 Screen will optimize everything...but remember, the "bars" don't go away...they simply are not highlighted on a screen surface. If you either paint the Screen wall a much darker color, or use a wide black velvet "Top & Bottom" boarder, you can make them become virtually invisible.

However....with a "Constant Image Height" Screen that starts out as being a 2.35;1 ratio surface, when you play 16:9 content and adjust the image to fill the screen Top to bottom, you will then have exposed Screen at each Right & Left edge. A dark Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 will go a long ways to mitigate that effect...but you will still see a difference between blacks "on screen" and the color of the unused screen surface.

....unless you make Side Masking Panels, which many people do when faced with such a situation.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 9 Old 10-02-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response guys I really appreciate it, You guys are probably the two guys I really wanted a response from. NewGate88 I have read over your post many times and MississippiMan you are professor of knowledge. Just have to find some sintra or something very comparable in my area. I've called a couple places and they don't carry it or dont sell it just as a plain sheet.

Chris
post #5 of 9 Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisache View Post

Thanks for the response guys I really appreciate it, You guys are probably the two guys I really wanted a response from. NewGate88 I have read over your post many times and MississippiMan you are professor of knowledge. Just have to find some sintra or something very comparable in my area. I've called a couple places and they don't carry it or dont sell it just as a plain sheet.
Chris

Just tell me your location and watch what happens. Closest City / what State is all I need.

BTW...for absorbing the 2.35:1 Over spill, that is a case for painting the Screen wall a very dark, non-reflective color. It need not be Black. A Dark Gray or a "EXTREMLY DARK" Brown (Coffee) will do exactly what you need shouls you determine to try the 2.35;1 concept.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #6 of 9 Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Just tell me your location and watch what happens. Closest City / what State is all I need.
BTW...for absorbing the 2.35:1 Over spill, that is a case for painting the Screen wall a very dark, non-reflective color. It need not be Black. A Dark Gray or a "EXTREMLY DARK" Brown (Coffee) will do exactly what you need shouls you determine to try the 2.35;1 concept.

Tucson, AZ smile.gif

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Liked: 11
MM is right about the overspill. I never really referenced it directly in my thread, but if you look you can see that rather than paint the wall dark, I extended the frame the screen is mounted to on the top and bottom, and wrapped it with black fleece. I used velvet to make the actual screen border (about 2.5 inches) but beyond that I used the fleece. You can't see it in the photos, but you can in person.

For me, that was simpler, as I knew it would work, and I knew what I wanted to do. That was the deciding factor, as I didn't know what color I wanted to use on the wall.

However, it does make for a screen that is heavier than it has to be. I am not in any way recommending my solution for dealing with the overspill.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezteladog View Post

Tucson, AZ smile.gif

Both major suppliers are in Phoenix

Piedmont Plastics
5720 S. 40th Street
Suite 3
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Toll Free: 800-829-4770

Laird Plastics
301 e watkins
phoenix, AZ 85004
Manager:Leon Todaro
Phone:866-262-7819

Any local Sign Shop should be able (willing?) to order a sheet for you from one or the other Distributors. If you can / are willing to wait for their next delivery you might escape any extra Freight charges

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Chezteladog - Just spoke to Piedmont Plastics. $65 for a 4 x 8 sheet of 6mm Sintra. No charge to cut it down to 85" x 48". I'm in Glendale & heading to Sonoita next week. Might be able to bring you sheet if you can meet me along I10 near Tucson. PM me if you want to talk about it.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page