Spraying a manual screen or other suggestions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up my first projector. A refurb Epson 6500ub. I am now on to the arduous task of picking a screen. I'm on a limited budget and due to my frugal nature combined with my desire for quality things DIY is always an option. Because my projector is in my living room I'm leaning toward some sort of pulldown or electric screen so I can leave the plasma and keep the semblance of a living room going and to allow for less extreme tv viewing. The option of a fixed screen and taking the tv to the bedroom has not been completely dismissed but I haven't figured out how to downplay the giant screen in the living room effect. Perhaps up playing it would be the solution in that scenario. I am a bachelor after all.

My room is about 12' 4"x20' with 8ft ceilings. The viewing distance is about 12-13'. The throw is probably going to be anywhere from 17' - 18' I guess? The walls and ceiling are currently painted white but paint is on the list of things I need in that room and while I'm open to paint color suggestions that may have a balance between projector optimization and comfortable and not dark and scary living room. I already have a somewhat dark house so de-emphasizing that has it's merit's. I have the PJ on an AV cart for now but I'll probably end up ceiling mounting at the back end of the room and depending on pulldown or fixed screen the distance could vary a bit. I mostly would watch it at night in total darkness but it could be used in the day as well. I need window treatments anyway so an eye on black out capabilities will be considered.

Right now I'm projecting onto a sheet taped to the wall and am messing with different screen sizes. I'm leaning toward 135" but I've gotten some feedback on the 6500ub thread that I may be happier with a smaller screen size of 120". Other than brightness I'm not exactly sure why I may be happier with smaller. I'm concerned if I go smaller I may wish I'd gone bigger. So after reading until my mind goes numb and my dishes piled up I'm bringing it to you people.
  • I'm considering an Elite screens 135" manual for $165 with the option of DIY improvements. 1.1 gain matte white. Also I could use this screen out in the yard if I ever upgrade the main indoor screen. I've found limited info on painting a pulldown screen so I'd appreciate feedback on this idea. I've been reading about tension screens as well but many people have posted about problems with these just as many have posted no problems with their non-tension screens.
  • Should I abandon the idea of the pulldown and just go for the DIY fixed screen because the quality is so vastly greater that any other idea is ludicrous? And if so then which DIY screen idea and paint formula should I be looking at considering my situation?
  • Any other feedback or tips on helping me make a decision on the screen is appreciated.

I'm posting a version of this in the regular screen forum as well in case of more viewpoints. Thanks!!

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Liked: 11
If you read this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1429817/can-a-electric-screen-be-painted-with-screen-goo-or-black-widow

And follow MM's progress, I'll think you will get close to your goal. I'm going to spray my electric screen with SF after I turn it into a tab tensioned screen.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

How do you plan to turn it into a tension screen? I'll be waiting for MM to return from Hawaii and also to hear thoughts on spraying a non tensioned screen. The link he provided for the Focupix screen leads me to an $850 tension screen in the size I want. I can get the manual for $165 so hearing about what the $700 difference can bring me will be interesting. Perhaps weighting the screen from the bottom to provide tension for the painting process would have a similar effect as painting a tension screen?

post #4 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Heading back tonight...arriving Monday Evening.

Good news...I got the "thumbs Up" from the Builder to mask off the room / new furniture and spray the screen after all. Bad news....it's going to be a "down to the wire" crap load of work considering everything else on my plate between Tuesday AM and Thursday PM.

Chezteladog,

Be assured the reasoning behind going with a Tab Tensioned Screen does NOT revolve around it being easier to paint on. Tab Tensioning is a method used to assure that the / a Retractable Screen always maintains a virtually perfect flat surface...with none of the side / bottom edge curling or waves that $165.00 screens almost always posses. That it does serve to hold the screen Flat is a bonus, but also be assured that I'll be fastening it down securely so the air pressure from the Graco does not set it to moving back and forth.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #5 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Good news...I got the "thumbs Up" from the Builder to mask off the room / new furniture and spray the screen after all. Bad news....it's going to be a "down to the wire" crap load of work considering everything else on my plate between Tuesday AM and Thursday PM.
Chezteladog,
Be assured the reasoning behind going with a Tab Tensioned Screen does NOT revolve around it being easier to paint on. Tab Tensioning is a method used to assure that the / a Retractable Screen always maintains a virtually perfect flat surface...with none of the side / bottom edge curling or waves that $165.00 screens almost always posses. That it does serve to hold the screen Flat is a bonus, but also be assured that I'll be fastening it down securely so the air pressure from the Graco does not set it to moving back and forth.

I'll be following your thread with much interest. Do you have any other input you can offer on the questions I have in my post? I'm a little ancy as the sheet on my wall ain't cutting it and my brain is starting to hurt from all the pondering I've been up to. From your avatar I can see that you're familiar with the brain swell phenomenon and some experienced input would be tremendously valued.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezteladog View Post

How do you plan to turn it into a tension screen? I'll be waiting for MM to return from Hawaii and also to hear thoughts on spraying a non tensioned screen. The link he provided for the Focupix screen leads me to an $850 tension screen in the size I want. I can get the manual for $165 so hearing about what the $700 difference can bring me will be interesting. Perhaps weighting the screen from the bottom to provide tension for the painting process would have a similar effect as painting a tension screen?

If you follow my thread I'll be posting everything in my quest in turning av office electric screen into a tab tensioned silver fire screen.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430140/freebie-i-love-it

The screen is already weighted with a bar at the bottom and I've tried to pull the bar but it doesn't straighten out the curves on each side of the screen.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Chezteladog,

The Graco HV2900 refurb that I've seen you recommend before looks to be a fairly small unit. How would this be for spraying popcorn ceilings or walls in my house? Is there another paint sprayer you could recommend that might handle both the painting of a screen and maybe a little heavier duty work?

FYI I found this sprayer on Ebay for $40 and thinking of picking one up on your recommendation just to have around.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezteladog View Post

The Graco HV2900 refurb that I've seen you recommend before looks to be a fairly small unit. How would this be for spraying popcorn ceilings or walls in my house? Is there another paint sprayer you could recommend that might handle both the painting of a screen and maybe a little heavier duty work?
FYI I found this sprayer on Ebay for $40 and thinking of picking one up on your recommendation just to have around.

The Great Grand Daddy of inexpensive Electric HVLPs is this one: http://www.gleempaint.com/wagner-control-spray-plus.html

It was the "Go To" unit before the Graco became available for such a silly low price.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #9 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Great Grand Daddy of inexpensive Electric HVLPs is this one: http://www.gleempaint.com/wagner-control-spray-plus.html
It was the "Go To" unit before the Graco became available for such a silly low price.

Thanks for the tip sir. I went ahead and ordered the Graco. For $40 bucks it's worth the experiment.

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page