Attention All Spandex DIY's..Here's a Great Tip ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Instead of stapling /Gluing your spandex to wooden frame just go buy yourself some " Carpet Tack Strip " at Amazon or your local supply store.

It's much easier to use....Just attache to spandex and stretch and when satisfied tap the Carpet Tack Strip on to your wooden frame.

By doing it this way you get a nice even stretch because you are now pulling/stretching the entire side of spandex by gripping on the entire Carpet Tack Strip that is attached to spandex.

It's even more helpful if you have someone with you so each of you can have a Carpet Tack Strip attached at each end of spandex and then both of you pull to desired stretch and then tap it on to wooden frame.

If you have 4 way stretch spandex just attache 4 Carpet Tack Strips and have 4 people pull to desired stretch then attache to wooden frame.

With the staple method it becomes a pain trying to get a nice even stretch. By using the Carpet Tack Strip method you don't get any uneven stretch pulls. I'm sure all of you who have used staples know what I'm talking about.

Plus it's easier to remove by just putting a flat head screw driver under Carpet Tack Strip and pry off with no damage to spandex and now you can throw spandex in washer .

How do I know .. I done the whole spandex thingy awhile ago. biggrin.gif

Plus it's dirt cheap !

I Hope This Helps some Of You smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=Carpet+Tack+Strip

PS: You can also make a frame using carpet tack board to attache
velvet border to then when done just tap it on to wooded frame.

Or you can use the Velvet carpet tack board to pull the spandex itself and have it all connected together to tap on to wooden frame.

73" Mits DLP
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I may use this idea. I was planning on replacing my BOC with spandex soon.

XBL GT: Big Bucket
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page