Painting Onto A 106" Tab Tensioned Screen with Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 98 Old 01-29-2017, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2121 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Yes it will be OK. One only needs to leave the Screen down for a couple of days to cure out...or a little longer if drying conditions are less than optimal.

I'll contact you later today about the Optoma I have listed in the Classifieds

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 01-30-2017, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a short throw PJ that could achieve similar results on a 120" screen? My room is similar to the one in the thread--light walls, non-dedicated space, shiny floors (although I can put a rug down). I think I want 1080p, although after seeing your screen shots I'm not sure I need it.

Thank you for all of the knowledge you've shared. I've been pouring over your posts the last few days and they've made the idea of painting my own screen much less intimidating.
post #93 of 98 Old 01-30-2017, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robinson 2 View Post
Is there a short throw PJ that could achieve similar results on a 120" screen? My room is similar to the one in the thread--light walls, non-dedicated space, shiny floors (although I can put a rug down). I think I want 1080p, although after seeing your screen shots I'm not sure I need it.
1080p w/good contrast would be preferred. In the example shown in this Thread, I had to absolutely minimize Throw distance, and at the time, a 1280x800 PJ was the only thing available that fit those requirements.

I mitigated the lessor performance characteristics by also installing a Darbee 5000, and of course I was sending a 1080p signal which the PJ accepted and scaled to it's resolution.

The Optoma GT1080 (1080p) can do 120" diagonal @ 4'-4" with a 9" Image Offset (Lens is 9" above the top edge of the screen)

The BenQ HT2150ST is a less adaptable choice.
1080p 120" diagonal @ 6'- 2" -but- the Lens must be just 1" above the Top of the Screen. Pooh.

The Viewsonic PDJ5553 is a 1280x800 Short Throw
120" diagonal 16:9 @ 4'-3" w/ 7" Image Offset
Crazy Long Lamp Life for a 3200 Lumen beamer
5000 hrs on Full Lamp - 10,000 hrs on Econo.
Probably a "best choice" if the primary use will be TV watching. And it's inexpensive...so get a Darbee 5000!

If you want a 1080p "Short-Short" Throw, things become more difficult to find, and more expensive. Optoma has a 1080p GT5500 UST that is an excellent PJ, but it comes with a 100" screen limitation.

Quote:
Thank you for all of the knowledge you've shared. I've been pouring over your posts the last few days and they've made the idea of painting my own screen much less intimidating.
That is the idea. While I've been doing it for quite some time and repetition does count for something , my own experience combined with the latest Electric HVLP guns and current Paint Mixes have gone on to show that it's "Cave Man" easy to do.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

post #94 of 98 Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How do you paint the screen? Just take a brush or is it spray can? I am getting a screen that is just matte white and this seems interesting
post #95 of 98 Old 01-30-2017, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post
How do you paint the screen? Just take a brush or is it spray can? I am getting a screen that is just matte white and this seems interesting
I use what is called a Electric HVLP (High Volume / Low Pressure) Spray Gun.

A preferred Model is the Earlex HV2901 or the Earlex HV3500, both being equipped with an aux. 1.0 mm Needle Kit.

Brush? Not a Chance.....
Spray Can? ROTFLMAO
(...I couldn't resist....sorry. )

The value in spending some extra for a HVLP Gun is twofold:
  • You can easily apply a ultra smooth finish, perfect for High Resolution imagery
  • Choose the right Gun and it can do so many other things around the House / shop as well.

post #96 of 98 Old 01-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yea i figured it was something like that ... but I have no place to do it right now .. something to think about thanks
post #97 of 98 Old 01-30-2017, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post
Yea i figured it was something like that ... but I have no place to do it right now .. something to think about thanks
Dude....I spray Screens right in Living Rooms and Theaters chock full of furniture that often costs more than the Car I drive! It's really easy....it's done and over with in about 3 Hours total time, and I cannot stress the easiness enough. You can cover the entire World (room) with thin, inexpensive Plastic Sheeting and spray without any worries whatsoever. (...look back at the beginning of this thread...)

Also, many have done the spray painting in a Garage, let the screen cure a couple days, rolled it up and took it back inside.

Where there is a will, there certainly are effective ways to get'ter dun.

Hey...maybe a few members will attest to that and give this Guy some confidence?

post #98 of 98 Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You wanna give me some info on the optoma ur selling vs buying a different model/brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page