Attaching 6mm Sintra to a Wooden Frame - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I live in a rental house, so gluing 6mm Sintra to the wall is not an option. I'm thinking of a wood frame (ala BOC) with a Hangman cleat. Screen will be 85" x 48". My idea is to make the frame 1" oversize all the way around to allow for attaching the border. 1 x 4 poplar comes to mind (I used it on a 90" BOC screen w/no bowing) so I'm hoping no center support will be necessary w/6mm Sintra. Hoping to attach Sintra to the frame w/a water base contact cement (goes on white, dries clear). Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read through many a thread to try and find an answer to my joining two pieces of Sintra question and I've read that double sided tape is preferable for attaching Sintra to a wood frame and also that you should not attach the center support (should you choose to use one) to the back of the sintra.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 PM

Double sided tape... I'm thinking about using something like this:

Sticky Back Velcro

or this...

Industrial Strength Velcro

Conrad
post #4 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Double face tape sounds like a good idea. I've never had good luck with velcro. I thought the water base contact cement might work ( and I have gallons of it), but the tape sounds less messy.
Thanks
post #5 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 03:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 202
You'll get better results using the contact cement if the surface you're joining the Sintra onto is both very flat and not overly absorbtive. Double sided tape that runs along a long edge can dry out and buckle, and the edge Canuck fan, contract, and result in a observable crack.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

MM- Original thought was a 1 x 4 poplar frame, leaving a 1" "border" around the screen to attach black velvet trim. With 1 x 4 being 3/4 x 3 1/2 actual size, leaving the 1" will give me 2 1/2 of attachment area around the perimeter of the Sintra. Is that enough to keep the Sintra flat, or will it bow in the center? I assume if it does bow, it will bow inward, so I could put in a vertical center support. If I do need the center support, should I glue the Sintra to it or let it float over the support?
post #7 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 03:08 PM

Great question. This is exactly what I'm planning right now. I mean, exactly, with the 2-1/2" and everything. I have the same questions as you. MM said that adhesive should do the trick. This post helped me. Also, these pictures might assist in visualizng this for everyone involved. These are with the 2-1/2" for the Sintra on the borders and with 1" x 4"s (3/4" x 3-1/2" actual).

Rear:

Front (without velvet border):

If you're already doing a frame, I would do some center support. It wouldn't hurt, and it's hardly any additional cash. Well, then again, I'm using pine.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Great minds think alike, or they go nuts at the same time. I'm thinking the center supports are a good idea. Cost wise, they don't add much to the bill. My only issue is whether the Sintra should be glued to them or not. Using contact cement, you only get 1 shot at getting it set right. I would think they it should be fine without glue, but maybe not. Hopefully someone who knows more than I do will help us out.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM

I used velcro to mount my 6mm 122" sintra to my wall. Just make sure its level before you stick it on there good. Takes two people though, at least with my 106x60" sintra board
post #10 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 AM

I'm thinking I might try velcro to the the frame. If it works for a 122" sintra to the wall, then a frame would probably work as well. (I still want to build the frame to have it stick out slightly from the wall, and it's easily removable with the cleats for future movement purposes.) Plus if it fails, then I can just remove the velcro and use the cement or other adhesive anyway.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page