AVS Forum banner

Join two pieces of Sintra or BOC

581 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Chezteladog 
#1 ·
So a forum member has offered to drive a piece of SIntra down to Tucson from Phoenix for me next week. You people on this forum are very generous with knowledge and time. I appreciate that in this often cold and indifferent world.

I want a screen of about 135" and the Sintra only comes in 5x10 so I'd need a few more inches of height. Is it reasonable to consider joining two pieces of Sintra by mudding the gap or some other technique? Is it worth the additional hassle and expense to use Sintra over BOC in this scenario? It would cost about $80 more to use Sintra over BOC.

The wall this is going on is slump block so completely irregular, bumpy and not flat and of course solid so how should I consider mounting this? Perhaps a frame and hang it?

I'd like to hear recommendations for a paint mix as well.

Here's my original thread with some description of my situation. I mostly will use it at night and although it's in the living room there is often no ambient light but it would be nice to have the option.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431762/spraying-a-manual-screen-or-other-suggestions

See less See more
#2 ·
After much deliberation and advice from MM and JWH92020 I have decided to do a BOC screen for now. Joining two pieces of Sintra to make a large enough screen sounds like a hearbreak waiting to happen. I did find Sintra in both the 3mm and 6mm 2M x 120" size sheets. I concluded that the 3mm at that size would be too floppy and potentially troublesome and the 6mm won't be available until near the end of October so I'll probably just do a BOC screen and if I can be convinced that Sintra will be a big upgrade I'll build one in the future. Apparently this forum doesn't get much activitiy as I haven't gotten much in the way of repsonses to my questions here so this will also give me time to read through the thousands of threads with tidbits of information and extract what I need that way.

I'll post a thread with pics so people can have something new to look at.

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.