Need some advice on DIY screen frame - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been working on my DIY screen in spurts when I have extra time/money. I'm doing a 130in wilsonart DW with the laminate mounted to 80/20 framing with industrial hook & loop. Unlike others that have used regular 1in square Quick Frame from 80/20, I chose to use Quick Frame 9005 around the perimeter since it has a nice 1/2in "lip" (1/8in thick) that can potentially be used to attach a border made of baseboard wrapped in velvet per Mississppi Man's excellent tutorial. At least, that was my plan. A diagram of my frame can be found here, with an inset showing a cross-section of where the border will be attached:

80-20 screen.pdf 212k .pdf file

I have the frame and WA DW already. I want to put the velveted border on first to avoid potentially marring/damaging the DW in the process. I recently picked up the velvet and 3 1/4in ranch profile baseboard, and I am preparing to wrap it. I had planned on attaching the velveted border to the screen frame with simple plastic mirror clips (screw side in the wood) to achieve a compression fit mounting on the outer perimeter lip of the 9005 tubing, but now I'm worried that the border boards (especially the one that will end up on the bottom) will be too heavy to be secure using mirror clips. I think I can fasten it better by using some sort of clamp or bracket that will screw into both the wood and the 1/2in metal lip as well. I've looked through the McMaster Carr catalog, but there is nothing on there that really sticks out to me that would work in this application. Can one of you excellent problem solving folks recommed a stock "flush mount" bracket or any other method of attaching the velveted border to my screen frame? Will the mirror clips work well enough?

Right now, I may just buy some 1in wide strips of flat metal framing stock, cut them into 2in lengths, drill holes near each end, and put one 1/4in screw in the wood and one in the metal lip. I figure one clamp/strip per two feet of border would fasten it pretty good. Although, I was hoping for a more elegant solution that wouldn't involve as much metal-working.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 80-20 screen.pdf (212.5 KB, 29 views)
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page