Border thickness and width recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
Was wondering if you can give advice on my upcoming project. I'm planning on spraying the mudd 2.1 mix onto a thrifty white board. I want to make the board in a 16X9 ratio and add 1-3 inch border using wood. My goal is to screw the board onto my drywall without the use of a frame. to cover the screws i am thinking of placing the wooden planks painted with dark black paint(i remember someone recommending behr's mickey mouse paint) on top of the screen to create a tight seal between the screen and the border. Would you recommend this and what width and thickness should i use for my border?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Hi.

That was "Disney Color Mouse Ears" using a Good quality Flat Enamel.

Try to find 2.25" wide Primed MDF Base Board (1/2" thick) at Home Depot. It has a smooth Curve. Next choice would be 3.25" x 1/2 Primed MDF Base, and that has a milled Drop-edge into a Curve. (see Trim link below)

Both should have Mitered Corners, and you should use 1.5" Bright Finish nails hammered through the MDF / TWH and set flush using a Nail Punch. The touch up the Nail heads.

It's a shame your not considering using Wrapped Black Velvet. That one addition adds proportionately more "class" and actual Masking / Perceived Contrast contrast than any other Trim option for the money & effort spent than anything else.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/865218/wrapping-black-velvet-on-trim-with-mitered-or-butt-joined-ends

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 AM

Don't know if MM will agree, but in my "temporary" set-up I bought some wide black velvet tape on Amazon. It was cheaper and much easier to work with than painting and hanging a wood border. It took about $25 and all of 20 minutes to install. Easy to mitre corners and reposition a little if you make a mistake. I like the look until I can decide on a final screen paint and buy and wrap boards. For me the cost and time and look was a better choice. YMMV.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for the feedback. If i were going with the black velvet option, where can i purchase it(amazon)? yes that is the paint i have and thought it would look good but if you think the velvet option would be better, im willing to try it. Also,
im thinking of pairing this with the epson 5010 series. You thinking the paint option is good for a light controlled room and ambient lighting?

thanks
post #5 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Here is what I used. Is it ideal...no, but for $20.00 and less than 20 minutes of your time, it was a great solution for me. Can easily be removed if you want to upgrade to the good stuff. smile.gif

It is black felt and comes in differing widths and is of decent quality and does help define the screen and soak up some straying light. I am sure it is not as good as dimensional, velvet wrapped lumber, but as with most DYI stuff, you get back what you put into it.... The time/reward ratio was great for me, but someday I hope to decide on a "final" paint solution and get a fully wrapped lumber border.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDGDIY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
post #6 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 PM

During my current planning of building my screen, I've made a sketchup of a 4' x 8' (with the 8' cut to 16:9 proportions) and put a 2-3/8" MDF trim on it. It would look like this with velvet. Hopefully this might give you some idea of what to decide for border width size. I personally will go narrower than the usual 3.25" that's recommended, but then, I'm going to have less than a 100" screen. Larger screens will look better with larger trim. I'm also a minimalist, so I would probably use no more that 2-3/8" in any case.

As for the velvet, I've seen MM link to this, so that must mean he's used it: http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/Plush-Triple-Velvet/Black-Plush-Triple-Velvet/681/264
post #7 of 8 Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
I use that particular black velvet almost exclusively.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #8 of 8 Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

thanks
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page