Lexan painted screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SeaFoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The plastics company here said that they cannot get a sheet large enough for the screen I'm building in Sintra or Gatorboard. He informed me the only option they have is 'white sign lexan'. I haven't seen anything on the forum through searching. Would it work? Or should I go with a built frame with painted fabric? The last time I painted lexan was RC car bodies..
SeaFoam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,878
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFoam View Post

The plastics company here said that they cannot get a sheet large enough for the screen I'm building in Sintra or Gatorboard. He informed me the only option they have is 'white sign lexan'. I haven't seen anything on the forum through searching. Would it work? Or should I go with a built frame with painted fabric? The last time I painted lexan was RC car bodies..

Where are you located? Let me try to help locate you something "right". Sounds like a bit of BS they are giving you there.................. rolleyes.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SeaFoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Where are you located? Let me try to help locate you something "right". Sounds like a bit of BS they are giving you there.................. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I never called them back. The largest expanded PVC sheet they had was 4x8.

I'm located in Des Moines, IA. Going to try to call some sign companies.
SeaFoam is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,878
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Look to see if you have a local branch of Laird plastics, or Piedmount plastics. They are both commercial suppliers of plastic sheeting and the goto boys whenever members need extra large sheets of Sentra. I'd look them up for you and give you a number to call but I'm busy me at my show.cool.gif

And BTW...all the Sign Shops get their inventory from one or the other of the places I mentioned. Don't let 'em try to day that can't get it just because they want to sell you what they have in inventory. At the very worst of all you should have to do is to place an order and wait for the next time they get a truck In from the supplier.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #5 of 7 Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SeaFoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended up finding a sign shop that ordered me white Sintra. I went with a 5x10 sheet, since my screen was only going to be 62" tall, it's not a big deal since the 6x14 sheet was an extra $40.

It was $84 and should be here Tuesday!

http://www.signaramadesmoines.com/ is the site, if anyone is looking for a supplier in Iowa.
SeaFoam is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-13-2012, 02:24 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,878
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFoam View Post

I ended up finding a sign shop that ordered me white Sintra. I went with a 5x10 sheet, since my screen was only going to be 62" tall, it's not a big deal since the 6x14 sheet was an extra $40.
It was $84 and should be here Tuesday!
http://www.signaramadesmoines.com/ is the site, if anyone is looking for a supplier in Iowa.


Ya gone Gud! Iowa is pretty much a Dead Zone as far as Wholesale Supply Houses.

If that is a 60" x 120" 6mm thick sheet for that price....Hell's Bells....you did most excellent!

More importantly....if you sourced a 6' x 14' sheet for just $120.00, you just uncovered a real boon for all of use who want 72" x 128* (16:9 147" diag.) or even Mo' Bedder...... 71" x 167" (2.35:1 181" diag.) eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Sheets at that size offer an infinitely better surface to paint onto than Black Out Cloth!

Now ya got me all 'cited! biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SeaFoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Ya gone Gud! Iowa is pretty much a Dead Zone as far as Wholesale Supply Houses.
If that is a 60" x 120" 6mm thick sheet for that price....Hell's Bells....you did most excellent!
More importantly....if you sourced a 6' x 14' sheet for just $120.00, you just uncovered a real boon for all of use who want 72" x 128* (16:9 147" diag.) or even Mo' Bedder...... 71" x 167" (2.35:1 181" diag.) eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
Sheets at that size offer an infinitely better surface to paint onto than Black Out Cloth!
Now ya got me all 'cited! biggrin.gif

I'll ask him and make 100% sure on the bigger sheet. I'd go with the bigger screen, but with the room being 17-5x15 I'm limited.
SeaFoam is offline  
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off