Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-23-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey you helpful bunch of AV geeks.

I'm going to be "building" my second DIY laminate screen here in a few days, and I've been wracking my brain (and the internet) trying to come up with the best mounting option for my situation.

You see, the place where I'm living currently is only temporary as I will be selling this house around the end of the year, but I don't want to sacrifice my home theater experience because of that. I want to build a 120" screen on the wall, and I want/need to be able to remove it to bring it to the new house when the time comes. The idea I've come up with is this...

Screw the laminate along the top and bottom to two long 2x4s (probably wouldn't use actual 2x4s but that's not the relevant part). These boards would over-extend on the sides by about 4-6" each side. This excess overreach is what would be anchored to the wall. With the laminate being screwed to these boards, again one along the top, and one along the bottom, and these boards being anchored into the drywall (a job for snaptoggles maybe???) my idea is that each board would help insure the rigidity and flatness of the laminate, while being lighter than using a heavy backer board, and ultimately allowing me to, when the time comes, unscrew the laminate from the "mounting boards", roll it up, and take it to the new place to be installed again.

If this makes sense to you guys please let me know your thoughts. Maybe the whole concept is ridiculous, and I'm doing nothing but showing my ignorance. But whatever the case may be I'd love to know. Also, I'm really not a super clever DIY kinda guy, so please pardon my ignorance :-p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 AM

Liked: 10
I don't think that would be a good idea. There would be a lot of sag in the middle where there is no support. It might work, but I wouldn't do it.

I just finished mounting my screen to the wall using a french cleat. Google that and you'll find some really good info on it. This lets you mount your supports to the wall and then basically hang your screen on them. Hope that helps!
post #3 of 3 Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Liked: 11
If you went with a self adhesive mirror foil and velvet/velor self adhesive tape as border you could make a Silver fire light fusion screen. It would not be like the original light fusion build but still be close to the effect of a light fusion screen. The wall must however be even to get a great result.

This would in turn be removable when you need to take it down. It would not be an expensive build and would not require much supplies to finish. Of course you would need to HVLP unit for the silver fire paint.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page