Smokarz (and other subscribers)
Great post here...thanks so much for sharing your experiences and your photos along the way. I am in middle of a renovation and I am seriously considering scrapping the Elite fixed frame 100-inch screen that I bought because I am having second thoughts about my screen size (I didn't go big enough)
The problem is that I have already installed my in-wall Polks around the 100-inch Elite. My throw is set at 12.5' (that is permanent) and I am considering either the Epson 5020 or the Panny 8000...both of which have reputations of being light cannons. I am thinking I want to be at 110" or 120"...hence the reason for considering an AT screen. I've got a few questions and I'm hoping that someone will be generous enough to throw in their two cents. These are the critical things I am curious about and it will ultimately help me make the decision if this is all worth the trouble...just to get 10 or 20 more inches.
It would be VERY cool to be able to hide these speakers behind a screen and I think it would add to the overall experience as if the sound was really coming from the screen (not to mention being able to raise up my CC closer to ear level).
A couple of quick questions:
1) I have Polk 265RTs (R/L) and a 255C-RT (CC) which are all set in the wall. These will obviously have to be relocated behind
the AT screen if I decide to build one. If I were to go with a white over silver spandex combination for my screen, would I need to put anything else behind that so I do not see
the speakers behind the screen?
2) My wife has picked a light beige color for our basement walls (this is not a dedicated HT theater so dark walls are OUT OF THE QUESTION). Would I be ok painting the walls behind the screen/frame that same color or would it influence the screen color somehow?
3) Does sound/vibration from speakers tend to rattle/vibrate the Spandex material being that they will only be an inch or so away behind the screen? Or will the tight stretch take that out of the equation?
4) Is it recommended that you paint the wood screen frame itself a certain color to avoid seeing it thru the two layers of spandex?
5) Is Spandexworld still the go-to place to purchase spandex online?
6) If Spandexworld, am I correct in saying that I need the Moleskin Matte (Silver) Product #6409 and the Moleskin Matte (White) Product #977?
7) What are some good moldings that people have used to go around the screen frame itself (that is the same thickness as the 1x4) ???
8)) Are these moldings usually fastened to the screen frame itself or to the wall after the screen frame has been leveled/mounted? I've already got 4 yards of Plush Triple Velvet from SY Fabrics leftover from before that I could easily wrap my own molding...
Here are a couple of pics of where things stand now...
Sorry to bombard with questions but I'm just throwing it all out there...thanks in advance...