Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post

Currently I was given a Sanyo pro xtrax huge thing that will be temporary. I hope to be getting a Panny. Viewing conditions will be seated about 15 feet back from screen. Panny will be mounted on the ceiling. I already built the frame and covered it with photo back drop white paper that doesn't look horrible. Recommendations based on these conditions?

I would need a specific Model Number. Way to many Sanyo "X" models out there to determine what might be best, but besides, any screen you might contemplate should be built around the upcoming PJ, one that is sure to have less lumens but substantially better contrast.

Also, which Panny?

In every sense, the suggestions already provided still are valid.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been part of building 4 AT screens now. 3 with moleskin (matte grey on top of white) and 1 with milliskin (matte grey on top of white). As stated by Mississippi Man the gain is the biggest problem with spandex.

Has anyone found a good way to 'get gain' out of a spandex screen yet? Would the spandex with the inlay-ed flake be of any use (or the metallic skined ones)? I'm afraid you could get hotspots depending on how even the flake is. Point being that many people don't have cave's they can install screens into and dealing with ambient light will always be a battle.

Not related to the gain discussion:
What about Lycra? Anyone tried this yet?

Quite temped to get a ton of samples and start trying combinations of fabrics on a tiny 'screen'.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 260
The best way to get more gain than you have using Gray over White is to reverse course and go White over Gray / Silver / or any of the semi- glossy varieties.

And of course White Milliskin over White Moleskin.

What won't work is a shiny or metallic Top surface.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

The best way to get more gain than you have using Gray over White is to reverse course and go White over Gray / Silver / or any of the semi- glossy varieties.

And of course White Milliskin over White Moleskin.

What won't work is a shiny or metallic Top surface.

I use white moleskin over black with a 2500 lumen projector and the brightness is more than enough. Even with some ambient light bleeding in from other rooms, as long as there isn't too much it is still more than sufficient. If I think of it this weekend, and the conditions are right, I'll see if I can remember to take some shots with ambient light in the room.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I would need a specific Model Number. Way to many Sanyo "X" models out there to determine what might be best, but besides, any screen you might contemplate should be built around the upcoming PJ, one that is sure to have less lumens but substantially better contrast.

Also, which Panny?

In every sense, the suggestions already provided still are valid.

Mississippiman
Since I dont see a response from Claybe and I just bought a panasonic pt-ae8000u tonight what would you recommend.
130" anamorphic
about 16-17 ft throw
room is light controlled
ceiling mount
I'm going to guess white over black but I wanted your opinion.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I built the frame and covered it with white photo paper for now. Will move to spandex after I build some speakers. I will be using the Panny 8000 as you bought in similar conditions so I will be watching this response as well, but think it will be similar to the above posts.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Mississippi Mud, et al.,
I am almost ready to build my screen wall. I will have 3 rows, one at 11', one at 17, and bar seating at 22'. The projector will be a Benq w1070, ceiling mounted from a 9' ceiling. The room has very little ambient light but can be completely controlled. Dark walls, black ceiling, LCR will be behind the screen.

Should I do two layers of the white Milliskin? White over gray? Also, I'm not set on screen size yet but I want to go as big as reasonably possible as I am planning for the "sweet spot" to be my chair at 17'.

So if I go 130" wide for example how much do I need to order? I figure I could always plan to that size and if it's too big just scale it down.

Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

Mississippi Mud, et al.,
I am almost ready to build my screen wall. I will have 3 rows, one at 11', one at 17, and bar seating at 22'. The projector will be a Benq w1070, ceiling mounted from a 9' ceiling. The room has very little ambient light but can be completely controlled. Dark walls, black ceiling, LCR will be behind the screen.

Should I do two layers of the white Milliskin? White over gray? Also, I'm not set on screen size yet but I want to go as big as reasonably possible as I am planning for the "sweet spot" to be my chair at 17'.

So if I go 130" wide for example how much do I need to order? I figure I could always plan to that size and if it's too big just scale it down.

Thoughts?

I just built an 130" screen and had ordered 4 yds each of white and gray to pair with my W1080ST. There was plenty left on the sides but I figured better to have too much fabric than to have too little. Not sure if 3 yds would have made it or not.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

130" wide? Which site did you buy it from? Any tips or things you wouldn't do if you had to do it again?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

When I look at SW it seems the milliskin is only 60" wide, how does that work for a 130" wide screen? That would be 73" of height. How do you do that with a 60" wide fabric?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:56 PM

Liked: 26
The spandex easily stretches from 60" to 73" wide, assuming that you are making a 16:9 screen. If you are making a 2.39:1 screen it only requires 54.4" of width and you left over material to trim.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

16x9 for me.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:24 PM

Liked: 10

Hi Guys,

I have been following AVS forums for a long time and  finally bought my BenQ w1070 , now am in the process of deciding on DIY  screen , not sure wether to go with Carl's BOC or a Spandex screen. if Spandex screen not sure choosing Millskin white over silver or grey. please provide your inputs.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

What size screen are you going with? I'm looking at an identical setup with a spandex screen so let me know what you go with and how it turns out.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajji26 View Post

Hi Guys,

I have been following AVS forums for a long time and  finally bought my BenQ w1070 , now am in the process of deciding on DIY  screen , not sure wether to go with Carl's BOC or a Spandex screen. if Spandex screen not sure choosing Millskin white over silver or grey. please provide your inputs.

General advice is to only go with an Acoustically Transparent screen (ie Spandex) if you plan on putting your speakers in behind.
I am using the W1070 on a white over black spandex screen that is 114 inches wide (130 diagonal). Based on direct comparison to screen samples (which have been measured by others) I would say that the white over black combination gives a gain of a little over 0.8. White over silver is probably high 0.8's and white over white low 0.9's. It may not seem like there is much difference between these values but in direct comparison, and even separately, the differences are significant. Over the last couple years I have tried each of the three combinations and have settled on white over black. While I appreciate the brighter image with a lighter colored backing fabric, I watch a lot of dark movies (sci-fi & horror) and ultimately the mediocre black level of the W1070 was the deciding factor. If I had a higher end projector (JVC, Sony, Epson 5030) or watched a lot of 3-D, I would likely go white over silver. With white over white on very bright scenes the 1X4 center supports of my diy screen gave faint shadows from the light passing through the screen and bouncing off the flat black painted wall behind. (Yes, believe it or not!) This wasn't noticeable with the silver in behind.
Bare in mind that my room is a black velvet trimmed, flat black painted pit, so I'm not contending with much if any reflected light.
hagsi likes this.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Wraunch

am planning to build 110" wide screen , coming to the material on Spandex am still debating wether to go with Milliskin Matte (White) over silver or grey  or vice versa.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wraunch

am planning to build 110" wide screen , coming to the material on Spandex am still debating wether to go with Milliskin Matte (White) over silver or grey  or vice versa.

Hey, that just reminded me. Silver over white was another combination I tried in full screen form. (My 1X4 frame looks like a pincushion with all the staples I have pulled out of it.)
Silver over white definitely gave the best blacks with the W1070 and I used this combination for quite some time but eventually it just seemed too dull, so I switched to white over black which is a bit brighter.
I think the natural lamp dimming that happens over time probably had something to do with it. I certainly won't be switching back and forth when I install a new lamp however.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:56 PM

David,

Thanks for replying , am planning to layout speakers on the side and on top of the screen. is  spandex  a good option in this case?

based on the pictures posted and some reviews i saw people recommended to go Spandex over BOC for picture quality this is one of the factor for me to opt for Spandex and  on spandex am planing for white over silver but not sure on finish i see different types like matte , rough etc  and also different types like millskin and moleskin, please suggest.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

David,

Thanks for replying , am planning to layout speakers on the side and on top of the screen. is  spandex  a good option in this case?
based on the pictures posted and some reviews i saw people recommended to go Spandex over BOC for picture quality this is one of the factor for me to opt for Spandex and  on spandex am planing for white over silver but not sure on finish i see different types like matte , rough etc  and also different types like millskin and moleskin, please suggest.

matte milliskin

Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

So Matte milliskin silver over white is preferred to pair with the w1070?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

I say silver over white based on your statement that is more of a middle if the road approach. The white over black would be too dark in your words for most people.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I say silver over white based on your statement that is more of a middle if the road approach. The white over black would be too dark in your words for most people.

Likely most people would prefer white over silver. I value blacks over brightness, while most people who buy a W1070 are primarily interested in a bright image...I surmise.
The only reason I bought the BenQ for my dedicated theater is that I have very a short throw distance and it is the ONLY non-business class projector that can do better than 106" diagonal in a room less than 12 feet deep.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:25 AM

Liked: 16
The milliskin silver is going to be (somewhat) closer in shade to what you would get with BOC. White over black will give you a very light gray or off-white. I have a BenQ W710ST and started with a BOC screen. After moving to a Moleskin white over black I laid a test strip of BOC over the screen for comparison (I really wish I had taken pictures). The blacks and colors are richer with the BOC, but the brighter scenes and the whites appear duller. With the white over black, the overall picture is brighter and white/bright scenes really shine. The blacks, while duller, don't appear completely washed out and depending on the amount of ambient light I'm watching with, are more than acceptable. The loss of color richness is something you won't really notice unless you're doing a side-by-side comparison, and for my tastes, is acceptable given how stunning brighter scenes will look.

However, the one nice thing about spandex to remember is; As long as you aren't permanently affixing it to the frame, you can always have two colors and swap them out as your needs/tastes change. If you use the screen spline method mentioned here and in other threads, you could probably do a material swap in an hour or so.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:32 AM

Thanks Astronaut and David, i will go with Milliskin Matte White and silver.

Astronaut can you  provide me any inputs or any link to the posts on the screen spline method and also for a 110" wide screen do i need to go with 4 yards or 3 yards should be good enough with stretching the cloth 

Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Do a search for "screen tight" and you will find the links you need. Three yards of each color of the will be fine.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Three yards of each color of the "spandex" will be fine. Oops!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:26 AM

My son and I just finished out first screen. I will post up pics of the build process later this week. #1 word of advice, do not build in the garage and try to get it down the basement steps, does not work (at least at my house). Luckily we went the "L" and "T" brace route vs. the biscuit and glue route.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just finished my DIY screen with Milliskin Matte White.
I used aluminium profiles, 1.2"x1.2 for the sides and 1.2"x2.5" for the profiles up and down. I then glued black velvet on these and mounted screen tights system on the back.

The front wall is a acousticly treated wall with black fabrics ontop and the speakers and stands are also black.
This gave me the opportunity to use only one layer of white instead of using two layers.

I tried two layers (black backing) but I couldn't see any change in the picture. I was afraid about the gain, but It's great.
I get about the same "pop" as with my grandview velvet cinema gain 1.0 but less visible structure.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

So do most folks build their screen then make a separate frame they wrap in black velvet? If so how do you attach the frame to the screen?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

So do most folks build their screen then make a separate frame they wrap in black velvet? If so how do you attach the frame to the screen?

Yes, you build your frame, then wrap your screen material over that with staples. You then take some MDF trim (I used Pine trim) and wrap that in black velvet. You then use finish nails to nail that to the existing frame. Put the nails in at a slight angle and you're good to go!