post #661 of 804 Old 08-19-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahajr143 View Post
You should be fine as long as there are no light sources behind the screen such as power led(s)
What he said.....

David could not have read the stated fact that you have at / over 3' distance from the rear of the Screen and any reflective surfaces.

At a distance of 3' to 4', and with the very slight degree of bleed through that 2 layers of Spandex allows, there would be no chance that there would be enough light reflected off the rear wall to in any way effect the Screen's performance...

3".....yes. Perhaps. 3' or 4' ? Not even. Even if the room is in total darkness, and the area behind the screen is in any way sealed around the perimeter of the Screen, the degree of light passed would barely even produce any more illumination than a visible image if viewed from the rear.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 804 Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Two layers of white spandex, no stretch, shining on a surface four feet away in an otherwise blackened room (flat black paint, black rug and black velvet on the ceiling). Will the reflected light illuminate black areas of the image?
My experience says yes, but sometimes I also catch glimpses of unicorns out of the corner of my eye, so who knows.
...and thus concludes my input on the spandex thread. Have fun gentlemen. It is a great cheap diy screen option.

post #663 of 804 Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 261
So following along with the recent discussions of reflective issues behind the spandex material. I plan on putting my JTR Triple 8 LP behind the screen. I was also planning on putting it quite close. My back wall has a big piece of black fabric tacked on the wall so it seems that is good. Just wondering if the speaker or speaker outline will be seen. I would say I plan on having the screen 5-6 inches off the wall. I have a window behind the black fabric that I will use to recess the Center a little bit. It is 7.5 inches thick. Just not sure if it will cause an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012Triple8HT-lpbsm.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	220226  

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #664 of 804 Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Davidk442,

Some people always like to say their piece then say "goodbye" to avoid. a rebuttal.

Well I'm sorry, but your own photo gives your comments no credibility. The area of the wall directly behind the Spandex shows NO image whatsoever. Without any light being cast onto the rear wall, there will be NO light returned to the spandex screen. Even the ceiling directly above the spandex shows virtually no illumination.

I don't blame you from wanting to recede from the discussion....although it is neither warranted or desired. What remains confusing to a extent is how you would construe your example as being a valid representation of your point?

It is however a sterling example of my own.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #665 of 804 Old 08-20-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
So following along with the recent discussions of reflective issues behind the spandex material. I plan on putting my JTR Triple 8 LP behind the screen. I was also planning on putting it quite close. My back wall has a big piece of black fabric tacked on the wall so it seems that is good. Just wondering if the speaker or speaker outline will be seen. I would say I plan on having the screen 5-6 inches off the wall. I have a window behind the black fabric that I will use to recess the Center a little bit. It is 7.5 inches thick. Just not sure if it will cause an issue.
What dual layer spandex application are you considering?

White / White? White / Silver? White / Black?

If your back wall is removed from the rear by at least 7" and Black, and the Speaker itself has a dark Grill w/no reflective Metal Trim, even if placed at 1" - 3" (suggested distance) you should have no issues at all.

What PJ are you using? Screen size?

If you want to be absolutely certain...opt for White over Black.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #666 of 804 Old 08-20-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 700
So white over black will, although reduce gain, prevent light bleed through the material

I ask because I will not be able to have he area behind my AT screen painted black
post #667 of 804 Old 08-20-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
What dual layer spandex application are you considering?

White / White? White / Silver? White / Black?

If your back wall is removed from the rear by at least 7" and Black, and the Speaker itself has a dark Grill w/no reflective Metal Trim, even if placed at 1" - 3" (suggested distance) you should have no issues at all.

What PJ are you using? Screen size?

If you want to be absolutely certain...opt for White over Black.
Ok, the last 12hrs have me thinking. I was originally going to wait it out and save for a Sony 55ES. Build a frame to "receive" and "hold" my screen frame and go AT with my center behind it. But I have recently thought I could buy a cheaper PJ for now then use it elsewhere or sell it when I am ready to upgrade to a "long haul" high quality PJ. So leave my CC where it is and put a spandex screen on the wall all for an immediate PJ transition.

My Setup Thread
post #668 of 804 Old 08-21-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, the last 12hrs have me thinking. I was originally going to wait it out and save for a Sony 55ES. Build a frame to "receive" and "hold" my screen frame and go AT with my center behind it. But I have recently thought I could buy a cheaper PJ for now then use it elsewhere or sell it when I am ready to upgrade to a "long haul" high quality PJ. So leave my CC where it is and put a spandex screen on the wall all for an immediate PJ transition.
Ok I have ordered a Ben Q 1070 from Amazon. Cheap and it has 307 out of 388 reviews as five stars which is pretty good. If I don't like it or it doesn't pass the "headache" test being DLP technology then I will send it back and be out the 7.99 one day shipping Other DLP options and if headaches are an issue then Epson has the 2030 and 8350 for under 1k. I do like that the Ben Q 1070 doesn't have to be mounted directly straight horizontally...

So I know this is a spandex build thread but are there any comparable materials? I have done less than 5 minutes research on other DIY materials. Saw some people use blackout cloth and other dedicated screen material that looks like it cost a bit more than spandex. Not making a case for anything and most likely spandex will be the winner as I would like to move my center channel up behind it in the future. But for now I will just put it on the wall over the black material I have there now. Have a couple daylight gaps in my Roxul AFB stuffed in the window frame behind the black material to fill. So I guess I will be ordering some mass quantities of spandex

just curious how something like this compares?
http://www.amazon.com/Carls-Blackout...TJPY7B3AWPEFCY

My Setup Thread

Last edited by jlpowell84; 08-21-2014 at 02:30 PM.
post #669 of 804 Old 08-22-2014, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Ok I have ordered a Ben Q 1070 from Amazon. Cheap and it has 307 out of 388 reviews as five stars which is pretty good. If I don't like it or it doesn't pass the "headache" test being DLP technology then I will send it back and be out the 7.99 one day shipping Other DLP options and if headaches are an issue then Epson has the 2030 and 8350 for under 1k. I do like that the Ben Q 1070 doesn't have to be mounted directly straight horizontally...

So I know this is a spandex build thread but are there any comparable materials? I have done less than 5 minutes research on other DIY materials. Saw some people use blackout cloth and other dedicated screen material that looks like it cost a bit more than spandex. Not making a case for anything and most likely spandex will be the winner as I would like to move my center channel up behind it in the future. But for now I will just put it on the wall over the black material I have there now. Have a couple daylight gaps in my Roxul AFB stuffed in the window frame behind the black material to fill. So I guess I will be ordering some mass quantities of spandex

Quote:
First off, BOC might let some fair degree of sound pass, but nothing that would be construed as being accurate.

I would lose that idea.

Click on post for rest that doesn't apply to you.
post #670 of 804 Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Where did you get that info? The w1070 has Digital Vertical Keystone, but that means you can Tilt it Up & Down....not twist it of to one Side.

If you cannot mount the PJ's lens directly in the center of the Screen, the Epson 8350 is your only choice at the $1000.00 price point.

Quote:

I thought I answered this post last night via my Phone. Weird.

If your not going to go AT, then a much better solution to BOC is Flexi-White.
FlexiWhite Projector Screen Material

Better surface, higher gain, easier to mount (stretches) and accepts paint better than does BOC

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #671 of 804 Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I attached the screen material to the frame and did a quick mounting. Any worries about light bleed through and reflections off of items behind the screen are gone. I can stand behind the frame and see the movie, it is quite bright. I will most likely cover the rear area with dark cloth to just limit extra light. I prefer my theater experience very dark. I did some quick testing and do not see any shadows coming through the screen. The center posts are recessed 1/4 inch back and painted flat black and I do not see any reflections back to the screen. I did not attach the outside trim yet. I just wanted to see if I needed to tweak the fabric, and to my eyes it looks great.

I am running a BenQ W1070 in Cinema Mode with the lamp on Eco setting, and am very happy with the brightness, color and detail. $54 in spandex and I am thrilled. Screen is Milliskin Matte (White) over Milliskin Matte (Light Silver) 122" diagonal. Each step of the way this project exceeds my expectations. I cannot believe I actually took the plunge and started it.

This is a work in progress. So ignore the white walls and myriad of other distracting items around. It is a completely unfinished basement. Add to that a conglomeration of speakers that would make any audiophile's head explode, but to me they sound fine. As time and money are more available, I will get to the speakers. I will get to the ceiling and walls and all the other parts that add up to a nice theater. But for now, I can sit on the old couch and be happy with my setup. I will start a proper thread of my build at some point as I make further progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20140822_08_02_51_Raw.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	224009  
post #672 of 804 Old 08-22-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where did you get that info? The w1070 has Digital Vertical Keystone, but that means you can Tilt it Up & Down....not twist it of to one Side.

If you cannot mount the PJ's lens directly in the center of the Screen, the Epson 8350 is your only choice at the $1000.00 price point.

I thought I answered this post last night via my Phone. Weird.

If your not going to go AT, then a much better solution to BOC is Flexi-White.
FlexiWhite Projector Screen Material

Better surface, higher gain, easier to mount (stretches) and accepts paint better than does BOC
Ok I will just use two low profile speaker stands and attach a board on top for the PJ to peek over the back of the couch. I do have the option of mounting it to a light fixture further back in the future to keep the room clear... I am ordering the Flewi-white.

My Setup Thread
post #673 of 804 Old 08-26-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok I will just use two low profile speaker stands and attach a board on top for the PJ to peek over the back of the couch. I do have the option of mounting it to a light fixture further back in the future to keep the room clear... I am ordering the Flewi-white.
I made a final decision of going with a "silver ticket 96" screen from Amazon. Nice aluminum frame with black velvet borders. I plan on attaching a horizontal piece of wood with some vertical pieces that will have the metal brackets that usually mount to the TV which hangs on the neck of the TV stand. So instead of a TV it will be a 96" screen Sitting 8.5-9ft gives a nice much bigger than 50 inch viewing screen. The screen material has a 1.1 gain just like the carl's flexi-white. I assume they are similar or at least provide a similar image. It had great reviews and I am a long time Amazon Prime user so returns are easy. The screen "said" it was originally $899 down to $179. I don't think the screen material is anything special and I am sure it is equivalent to sub $100 DIY material. I signed up for the Amazon Credit card via Chase bank (I am a chase customer so already nice) and it was a $70 gift balance so only $109 for the entire screen/frame setup.

Also curious about what the "digital crystal" screen paint stuff is. Quite a bit on youtube about it. Seems to give a better picture with ambient light. I am curious about the image in general. Does it enhance the image? Or is it simply give better lighted room images? I could always try a sample I guess.

My Setup Thread
post #674 of 804 Old 08-26-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Digital Crystal is absolute junk.

Caveat Emptor. 'Nuff Said.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #675 of 804 Old 08-26-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I have a matte white milliskin spandex screen mounted a few feet in front of chromed wire storage shelves. A single layer of spandex was terrible. You could see everything behind the screen and the reflections plainly showed the vertical support struts. I painted the frame flat black and added a layer of matte black milliskin spandex 1" behind the single layer of white spandex. This method completely eliminates any background reflections from destroying your contrast in dark scenes and nearly blocks all transmission of light to the area behind the screen.

I've not tried silver, white or black immediately adjacent to the white layer, so I can't speak to the relative performance of this method vs. the others. I can say, however, that I am very satisfied with the image quality from my screen. I used dual channel Screen Tight on the back of the frame. I wrapped the white from the front, around the frame and secured it to the outer channel. The black is on the back and is secured by the inner channel.

Here are two construction pics and a screen shot:

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Frame - White.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	231185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Backing.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	231193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bond - small.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	231209  
dabsabre likes this.
post #676 of 804 Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Digital Crystal is absolute junk.

Caveat Emptor. 'Nuff Said.
LOL! I will take your word for it

Curious if this screen material is better or basically the same of what I ordered.
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...rds=epson+8350

Here is what I ordered
http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Ticket-...lver+ticket+92

Both have 1.1 gain. I assume they are quite similar. If the Elite was that much better I might as well pay a few more bucks...It seems they are almost the same just different companies. Both have the same aluminum frame size, screen material surface looks the same.

One side note about putting a sheet up temporarily is that we have been watching movies, 5-6 now, with the MV up 6-10db. Quite a difference as I always bumped up to uncomfortable and backed off 2-3db. My Main L&R JTR speakers are toed in quite a bit. and I am guessing some 1st point reflections were coming off of them. Also I am thinking of returning the Ben Q 1070 for the Epson 8350 for lens shift...I will wait and see what it looks like on the screen tomm after it arrives and installation.

My Setup Thread

Last edited by jlpowell84; 08-26-2014 at 07:27 PM.
post #677 of 804 Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
I have a matte white milliskin spandex screen mounted a few feet in front of chromed wire storage shelves. A single layer of spandex was terrible. You could see everything behind the screen and the reflections plainly showed the vertical support struts. I painted the frame flat black and added a layer of matte black milliskin spandex 1" behind the single layer of white spandex. This method completely eliminates any background reflections from destroying your contrast in dark scenes and nearly blocks all transmission of light to the area behind the screen.

I've not tried silver, white or black immediately adjacent to the white layer, so I can't speak to the relative performance of this method vs. the others. I can say, however, that I am very satisfied with the image quality from my screen. I used dual channel Screen Tight on the back of the frame. I wrapped the white from the front, around the frame and secured it to the outer channel. The black is on the back and is secured by the inner channel.

Here are two construction pics and a screen shot:

Mike
Looks nice! Congrats on the build!

My Setup Thread
post #678 of 804 Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

What PJ are you using?
post #679 of 804 Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
What PJ are you using?
Epson 8700UB ~13' from the screen.
post #680 of 804 Old 08-27-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
What PJ are you using?
Epson 8700UB ~13' from the screen.
Great!

I'm now gonna build mine just like yours!
post #681 of 804 Old 08-27-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LOL! I will take your word for it

Curious if this screen material is better or basically the same of what I ordered.
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...rds=epson+8350

Here is what I ordered
http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Ticket-...lver+ticket+92

Both have 1.1 gain. I assume they are quite similar. If the Elite was that much better I might as well pay a few more bucks...It seems they are almost the same just different companies. Both have the same aluminum frame size, screen material surface looks the same.

One side note about putting a sheet up temporarily is that we have been watching movies, 5-6 now, with the MV up 6-10db. Quite a difference as I always bumped up to uncomfortable and backed off 2-3db. My Main L&R JTR speakers are toed in quite a bit. and I am guessing some 1st point reflections were coming off of them. Also I am thinking of returning the Ben Q 1070 for the Epson 8350 for lens shift...I will wait and see what it looks like on the screen tomm after it arrives and installation.
Well just in case anyone could have been interested... I got the Silver Ticket 96" screen in today and installed. Very nice quality indeed. Velvet 2 3/8's borders, aluminum frame, screen is 1.1 gain matte white and comes rolled up. Anyway I basically put the brackets from my 50 inch Panasonic plasma onto the mounts I built and hung it... I know this is a "spandex" diy thread but I asked several questions and arrived here at this screen. A diy AT spandex was almost what I did. But like I said, for the sake of documenting, this was a nice option for sure and not much money for very good quality. Please excuse the very crappy digital camera...

I shall bow out of your AVS lives now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3794.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	232849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3792.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	232857   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3791.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	232865   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3790.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	232873  

My Setup Thread
post #682 of 804 Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

just ordered 4 yards of both Millskin matte white and black..very excited building a 120" wide 2.35 screen

any recommendations on how to attach the felt black border?

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #683 of 804 Old 08-31-2014, 08:06 PM

Most people wrap wood trim with the velvet, then attach the covered boards to the screen frame.
post #684 of 804 Old 09-01-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I know about that but what do they use to secure it to the frame?

Btw my spandex came in Saturday should start my build sometime this week
post #685 of 804 Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

They use 1.5" Bright Finish Nails and hammer them in, or use a Finish Nailer and use 1.25" Wire Brads. Trim Width should be enough to frame the image and still have at least 1.5" of supportive area behind.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #686 of 804 Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Awesome! Thanks for the info!!
post #687 of 804 Old 09-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I've been using my spandex screen for 18 month now (White over gray moleskin). I've never noticed any light bleed but then my screen frame is painted black, lined with Linacoustic and mounted to a wall covered in triple black velvet.

It did have lower gain compared to my previous painted screen so I upped the PJ from it's lowest lumen setting to the middle setting. It's still in eco mode and has over 2000 hours on the bulb and is plenty bright for my taste.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #688 of 804 Old 09-04-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I need to put some material on the top of my Center channel as it reflects bright colors back on to the screen and creates a murky effect. What is some easy material I can pick up and cut to size and also be as thin as possible as my screen is on the edge of the top of the speaker

My Setup Thread
post #689 of 804 Old 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

More "dark" spandex