Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh6877 View Post
Spandex material : $90
Shipping cost :$14
Total : $104
I pretty much reused my previous screen frame.
Thanks. I have a carada screen that I can't sell. Might use the frame to make it into 2.35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I agree with MM. The contrast is much better than my previous screen. The blacks are much better too. The soundstage is much much better with the AT screen.

@tractng - yes, better to reuse the frame. Give it a shot. You might like it too, just like I did. Keep us posted
Old 12-26-2014, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Any specific "SILVER" color? Brand? ect?
You should get about 1.3 gain as compared to under 1.0 with spandex alone. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by narhic_fd 

What is the up to date formula for S-I-L-V-E-R. Which paints do we have to buy??

1 Gallon Behr Faux Glaze
8 Oz Liquitex Basics Silver Metallic (Jar preferred)
http://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-Basics-Acrylics-Colors-silver/dp/B002643NXY
16 oz distilled water (to start)

Mix into 2 gallon Bucket w/Lid
Use the Squirrel Cage Mixer (best price... and Free "A-Prime" delivery)
http://www.amazon.com/Homax-69011-1-Gallon-PolyPro-Galvanized/dp/B000ELORFE
Old 12-27-2014, 08:10 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Laidback
Any specific "SILVER" color? Brand? ect?

You should get about 1.3 gain as compared to under 1.0 with spandex alone. Hope that helps.
Laidback...in case any clarification is needed, Debonaire is referring to S-I-L-V-E-R, a specific paint formula as outlined below. No usable Spandex application has anything remotely close to 1.3 gain.

Quote:
=Originally Posted by narhic_fd

What is the up to date formula for S-I-L-V-E-R. Which paints do we have to buy??

1 Gallon Behr Faux Glaze
8 Oz Liquitex Basics Silver Metallic (Jar preferred)
http://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-Basics-Acrylics-Colors-silver/dp/B002643NXY
16 oz distilled water (to start)

Mix into 2 gallon Bucket w/Lid
Use the Squirrel Cage Mixer (best price... and Free "A-Prime" delivery)
http://www.amazon.com/Homax-69011-1-Gallon-PolyPro-Galvanized/dp/B000ELORFE
Using the Liqutex brand results in a lighter S-I-L-V-E-R with less metallic effect. For maximum results use Rustoleum Sterling Silver

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 12-27-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Laidback...in case any clarification is needed, Debonaire is referring to S-I-L-V-E-R, a specific paint formula as outlined below. No usable Spandex application has anything remotely close to 1.3 gain.

Using the Liqutex brand results in a lighter S-I-L-V-E-R with less metallic effect. For maximum results use Rustoleum Sterling Silver
MM,

I'm a stoner at times my mind fails me.

For the sake of a non-clouded mind.
Quote:
Not likely. There exists already Spandex with a Shiny, or Glossy surface, in White or Silver. All the isues one experiences witha Solid surface with those same properties manifest themselves with Spandex as well.

At best one might hope for a modest gain up to 1.1 or 1.2 using a Metallic Silver or Pearl or a Combo of both.

That would be all because the AT properties themselves would be affected adversely if enough coating was applied to return more light due to an increase in the actual reflective surface.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:36 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:

There exists already Spandex with a Shiny, or Glossy surface, in White or Silver. All the isues one experiences witha Solid surface with those same properties manifest themselves with Spandex as well.
None of the "Shiny Metallic Spandex" out there has proven acceptable for use due to Shimmering, Hot Spotting, and other similar effects that are present in most Mfg Screens with gain at / over 1.3. All that without such Spandex even being close to such gain levels.

Quote:
At best one might hope for a modest gain up to 1.1 or 1.2 using a Metallic Silver or Pearl or a Combo of both.

That would be all because the AT properties themselves would be affected adversely if enough coating was applied to return more light due to an increase in the actual reflective surface.
The above refers to what is the maximum amount of gain one can hope to achieve using dusted paint on Spandex. To obtain the gain levels possible using a solid, opaque surface, so much paint would need to be applied as to saturate the cloth entirely, and therein make any degree of acceptably accurate acoustic transparency a moot issue.

Indeed, if one did achieve a gain of 1.1 to 1.2 on a Spandex surface, that would represent a huge increase compared to the gain one could expect off a raw White or Silver/Gray

"It's Complicated"

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 12-28-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
None of the "Shiny Metallic Spandex" out there has proven acceptable for use due to Shimmering, Hot Spotting, and other similar effects that are present in most Mfg Screens with gain at / over 1.3. All that without such Spandex even being close to such gain levels.

The above refers to what is the maximum amount of gain one can hope to achieve using dusted paint on Spandex. To obtain the gain levels possible using a solid, opaque surface, so much paint would need to be applied as to saturate the cloth entirely, and therein make any degree of acceptably accurate acoustic transparency a moot issue.

Indeed, if one did achieve a gain of 1.1 to 1.2 on a Spandex surface, that would represent a huge increase compared to the gain one could expect off a raw White or Silver/Gray

"It's Complicated"
M.M.,
Thanks for the info. I was looking into ordering the spandex and saw that they had a "shiny" white and had not yet read about that material either being useful or not. Has the shiny been used as a back layer which might not "hot spot" as bad as it being on the front layer?
Are you using a HPLV gun to dust the mixture onto the screen?
Thanks!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 AM

Laid, I'm sure you'll be fine with white over silver milliskin alone. There's a high chance you could oversaturate the cloth with paint dusting and make the AT no good. I worry about it not being over 1.0 gain like my Behr UWP. That looked decent with my under 300 lumen CRT at 128x72 inches.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:44 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
M.M.,
Thanks for the info. I was looking into ordering the spandex and saw that they had a "shiny" white and had not yet read about that material either being useful or not. Has the shiny been used as a back layer which might not "hot spot" as bad as it being on the front layer?
Are you using a HPLV gun to dust the mixture onto the screen?
Thanks!
Yes....although all I have used are the Airless Electric types so often mentioned.

I have sprayed both Mfg AT material and Spandex Cloth, and both require the utmost finest mist applied extremely lightly. It's neither impossible, nor even really difficult, but it must be done correctly.........

..............or else.

Debonaire's
advice above is rooted in sound principle.....but also mitigated by the understanding that properly done, painting onto the Spandex is not out of the question. Neither is trying the Shiny White Spandex as a rear layer a bad suggestion...although I would then suggest a very small space between the two to avoid any direct transfer of sheen against the topmost layer.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 12-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hmmm,
So might screw up a layer of spandex by misting too much or unevenly...or try to create a 2 layer with a equal gap between the layers...man. I thought this was going to be easier, lol. I still think it is going to be more fun to do it this way than plop down $800 or so for someone else's screen.

I have a 120" screen now but it is not AT. I want to go bigger, about 135-140" in 2.35. I guess I will just try to sell what I have once I get stuff built. I just want to watch a few movies as I build. I just got a new lamp and didn't even get to turn it on yet. Everything is set up pretty temporarily now.

I guess for the price of the spandex I will just order two layers of white in case I screw on of them up.

I plan on getting some aluminum tubing around 1"x 3" then attaching 1x4 to the back side of the aluminum and then staple it to the wood. That way I don't have to worry about it sagging or twisting and I don't have to worry about supports in the middle either. I can get the material really cheap as my in-laws own a fabrication shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5208.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	448466  
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1

Finally finished mine this evening. 106.5" white over silver.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Ricer View Post

Finally finished mine this evening. 106.5" white over silver.
I like your false wall. Looks really nice.

What did you use for the black around the screen? Is it Hancock micro fiber?
Old 01-03-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
I like your false wall. Looks really nice.

What did you use for the black around the screen? Is it Hancock micro fiber?
I'm not really sure what you mean haha. There is no false wall here. The black is what I call "black as hell" from benjamin moore. I forget the original color, but it had a lot of extras in it. I asked the lady to pull all that and just give me the deepest darkest black she could. This was the end result, in matte finish. Walls are kendall charcoal.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Ricer View Post
I'm not really sure what you mean haha. There is no false wall here. The black is what I call "black as hell" from benjamin moore. I forget the original color, but it had a lot of extras in it. I asked the lady to pull all that and just give me the deepest darkest black she could. This was the end result, in matte finish. Walls are kendall charcoal.
The border material is some sort of thin wood painted? I thought that was called a false wall since there's a large cavity between the border/screen and the real wall behind.

Some like to cover the border in fabric.

Hmmmm. Is the screen floating in front of the whole back wall painted black? Meaning if you stand at the sides you can see the speakers?

Last edited by Debonaire; 01-03-2015 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 901
I don't think he is using a false wall. He is not using the AT properties of the screen. From that pic the lcr are not behind the screen
Old 01-04-2015, 10:58 PM

I really wanted an AT screen after seeing The Box Trolls at a theater with my son.

The largest AT that can fit in my living room is a 108"x60.75" with a 3" border.

Would using 2, 10 foot board shelves to mount the frame and an 8 foot in the middle work to place speakers?

Last edited by Debonaire; 01-04-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:42 PM

Here's a better shot, finished up everything today. Light on and PJ on smart eco, still a damn good picture. In the dark it's amazing.
suresh6877 likes this.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I am running an Epson 5030UB and thinking about building a white over silver milli at about 120"...I am running all in wall/ceiling 7.2.2 system and have a couple questions before starting...

With this projector is the white over silver my best bet? 90% light controlled room, black and grey walls...

Im guessing both the white and silver are matte in color...Figuring 4 yards of each...

Looks like matte silver isnt on spandexworld, guessing they are out of stock, has anyone tried the gunmetal as a in between black and silver?

With in walls how far does the screen need to be from the speaker? I have read varying reports on this from a foot to just a couple inches...What you guys found out on this? My thought is to run a 1x4 or 1x5 on its side in order to get some distance but how much?

I think that is it for now...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 96p993; 01-11-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Started working on a folding spandex screen a couple weeks ago. I'm still trying to decide how much added bracing it should need while trying to stay light and fast to disassemble.

The far right is how it looks folded up so far. It's a little surprising how well it managed to work out despite getting the pieces home and discovering that the tools I remember having available had poofed into oblivion.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Folding Spandex Screen.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	473105  

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:56 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
I am running an Epson 5030UB and thinking about building a white over silver milli at about 120"...I am running all in wall/ceiling 7.2.2 system and have a couple questions before starting...

With this projector is the white over silver my best bet? 90% light controlled room, black and grey walls...

Im guessing both the white and silver are matte in color...Figuring 4 yards of each...

Looks like matte silver isnt on spandexworld, guessing they are out of stock, has anyone tried the gunmetal as a in between black and silver?
Gunmetal or just a light Gray...either will suffice.

Quote:
With in walls how far does the screen need to be from the speaker? I have read varying reports on this from a foot to just a couple inches...What you guys found out on this? My thought is to run a 1x4 or 1x5 on its side in order to get some distance but how much?

I think that is it for now...

Thanks in advance
The closer the better. 3.5" will do fine, but using good, straight 1x3 Poplar stock for your Frame would be even better.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 01-11-2015, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting ready to buy some Matte white with Gunmetal grey underneath as its all they have left in the greys. I will be using this room as a multipurpose so I want it to look good in ambient light as well. Is this color combo a good match for that.

I will have a 130~ diagonal 16:9 (about 115wide by 65 tall)

**Am I going to be okay with that height. I know it says 58/60 on the site, however how much does this stretch and how far is too much of a stretch??

thanks
Old 01-12-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuj32 View Post
I am getting ready to buy some Matte white with Gunmetal grey underneath as its all they have left in the greys. I will be using this room as a multipurpose so I want it to look good in ambient light as well. Is this color combo a good match for that.

I will have a 130~ diagonal 16:9 (about 115wide by 65 tall)

**Am I going to be okay with that height. I know it says 58/60 on the site, however how much does this stretch and how far is too much of a stretch??

thanks
I'm interested in this answer as well. I have space enough for a 124" wide/70" tall/142" diagonal screen with closest side wall about 5ft away. I could easily go with a 2.35 but prefer the 16.9 due to watching more TV than movies. W1070 at 13.5 distance. 11.5 viewing distance

My thought was to keep the screen tight on the front vs. the back of the frame and then cover that with either black tape or black cloth.

Also, for better blacks it seems that everyone says white over black milliskin matte? i would need/prefer a darker/higher contrast picture in my non light-controlled environment. My walls are grey and dark grey in spots with a white ceiling that would be about 1ft away from the top of the screen (may paint it black if the wife let's me).

Thanks in advance your feedback.

Television: Samsung 64' F8500
AVR: Onkyo NR809 (Main)
Blu-ray: PS4/Samsung BD5900
Speakers: 7.2 System with Cambridge Soundworks MC300IW (left, center,right)/Monoprice 8inch in-wall speakers(wides)/JBL AESS5-WH (surround)
Subwoofers: Dual Marty Subes w/SI 18" - DIY Build w/SI 15"
Old 01-13-2015, 01:28 AM

My thought was a black layer doesn't increase black level, but improve light scattering? Since spandex isn't really for ambient light, any light leakage, especially from behind will wash out. But if care is taken to prevent getting light behind the screen, even painting everything black behind, there's really no advantage over a light silver back. The only way to improve black level is silver on top, under ideal conditions.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:09 AM

Thanks @Debonaire . Do you know if the 60" spandex can stretch to fit a 70" screen?

Thanks

Speakers: 7.2 System with Cambridge Soundworks MC300IW (left, center,right)/Monoprice 8inch in-wall speakers(wides)/JBL AESS5-WH (surround)
Old 01-13-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
Thanks @Debonaire . Do you know if the 60" spandex can stretch to fit a 70" screen?

Thanks
Yes, 60" spandex will stretch to a 70" frame as long as it is 4-way stretch and 20% spandex content.

Last edited by ahajr143; 01-14-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:40 AM

Thank you @ahajr143 . Will be starting my project soon.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
Thank you @ahajr143. Will be starting my project soon.

Me too. Just needed the confirmation on the stretch!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Finally ordered my 6.5 yards of Milliskin Matte White (for two layers). I had bought the wood and the metal brackets to build the frame with several months ago. I'm going for a 48" x 112.75" (122.5" diag.) 2.35:1 screen.