110" DIY Spandex AT Screen - Page 30 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
post #871 of 871 Unread Today, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I made another trip to the hardware store with the plan being to get enough supports to hold everything straight and square, but ended up realizing it will likely need so many that it'll be really slow to open/close since every internal support needs some form of disconnect from the outer frame.
So for now I'm abandoning the project until the spirit of adventure returns.

Eventually I should just get the guts to grab the staple-gun and see how it all works out with only the pair of supports, but I'm hesitant to risk wasting the spandex for some reason.

There should be enough space in-front of the center hinges to attach the spandex "around" the hinge and cut it above the bump if there's a pucker or deform.
I can see how you intended it to work, but I think you would need to rethink it a bit for it to be square when you were done. Possibly by having four half-width straight pieces of 1x6 across the rear of the top and bottom on the flat to establish straight top and bottom lines. They would need to be separate pieces with holes fitting over dowels attached to the rear of the horizontal hinged sections and the uprights holding everything square. With 1x6 top and bottom, I think two vertical uprights as you have would be enough.

I am surprised you didn't design the top and bottom with six sections each -- hinged to the side uprights and each center upright having a piece hinged to it on both sides so no disassembly was required, it would just accordion fold down to 10 thicknesses of 3/4" poplar the height of the screen. A bundle about 10" square including the straighteners. Pull each side out and attach the four top and bottom straighteners over the dowels. I might not even use hings at the mid-sections where they collapse vertically toward the center of the screen, but just use the spandex to hold those sections together since the straighteners would be creating the actual strength for top and bottom. I'd make the screen 8" taller than viewable so I could slip 4" tall velvet sleeves over the top and bottom to hide and dimpling or wrinkling of the spandex near hinge points.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page