110" DIY Spandex AT Screen - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #991 of 1011 Old 05-27-2015, 06:11 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post
I have no doubt the Carl's tape is a good product. I've never used the tape but I've used their screen material and I was pretty happy with it. I just wouldn't be able to use the tape if the biggest width is 4" since I'm using 1x4s as my border - it would be just shy of being able to wrap around the face and sides. I actually used the Protostar Hi-tack roll material when I did my borders. At .50/inch (30" wide), a 120" x 4" border would be pretty close in price (Carl's shows 49.99 for the 4") I don't know how the Protostar tape is, but the roll material was SUPER sticky; once it was on it wasn't coming off!
. Always good to have multiple choices right?
I can see in your case where you needed just that smidgin' extra width. In truth your the exception to the rule, as for many these days it difficult to have them even consider 3.25" x 1/2 Mdf.

I have always tried to refrain people from using 1x4s because the stand off along the edges leading into the screen can cast shadows. Especially from any ambient light in the room. 3/4" height is just too much....1/2" is borderline....Trim / wood that tapers down to a 1/16th edge...or 1/8th at most is ideal. Which is why the Mdf Base Molding works well when wrapped with Velvet. The material effectively hides the millwork edges.

And sometimes you can find 3.25" x 1/2" Primed Pine base that is wholly smooth and tapers / curves down to a 1/16" tall edge. That stuff looks exactly like a custom milled Screen Trim, and it would in fact be ideally suited for applying either ProtoStar or the 4" Carl's.

Anyway...it's all good. The both offer a decent choice.

For years all we had a crappy Felt Tape to turn to, or at very best the Duvetyne Flock Tape....which itself wasn't very good at all. Not really anything but sticky backed Black Felt

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1011 Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I can see in your case where you needed just that smidgin' extra width. In truth your the exception to the rule, as for many these days it difficult to have them even consider 3.25" x 1/2 Mdf.

I have always tried to refrain people from using 1x4s because the stand off along the edges leading into the screen can cast shadows. Especially from any ambient light in the room. 3/4" height is just too much....1/2" is borderline....Trim / wood that tapers down to a 1/16th edge...or 1/8th at most is ideal. Which is why the Mdf Base Molding works well when wrapped with Velvet. The material effectively hides the millwork edges.

And sometimes you can find 3.25" x 1/2" Primed Pine base that is wholly smooth and tapers / curves down to a 1/16" tall edge. That stuff looks exactly like a custom milled Screen Trim, and it would in fact be ideally suited for applying either ProtoStar or the 4" Carl's.

Anyway...it's all good. The both offer a decent choice.

For years all we had a crappy Felt Tape to turn to, or at very best the Duvetyne Flock Tape....which itself wasn't very good at all. Not really anything but sticky backed Black Felt
You know, I never even considered having a shadow from the thicker border; I'm just going to forget you said that so I'm not looking for it Honestly though, I've never noticed any shadowing if it is there.
That said, if I wasn't limited to my local lumberyard for wood on my build day I would have chosen a tapered trim; it just looks better to me.
post #993 of 1011 Old 05-28-2015, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi all,

I am considering building a screen for a small condo setup. I have been following Jim Mueller's build and this thread with great interest and have begun working out details for my own.

There are some constraints. First, the screen will sit in front of our everyday plasma and must have the ability to be broken down and stored away when not in use. Second, although I would go the wall hook route similar to Jim and easily patch up the holes when we move, my gf is shooting down the idea. So instead, my screen will be a free standing, collapsible wooden frame with hooks along the inside perimeter.

The thing I am having trouble wrapping my head around is how big the frame needs to be. If I am shooting for a 100" screen, should I cut the milliskin to 49" x 87" and stretch it onto a frame with larger inside dimensions, say, 59" x 97"?

My always evolving setup | Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma | Sony STR-DH800 AVR | Energy Take Classic 7.2 | Comcast X1 | PS4 | Panasonic DMP-BD60
post #994 of 1011 Old 05-29-2015, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read so many of these threads that my mind is numb with information. But in that reading, I lost track if I saw this answered or not (and the search function isn't so helpful).....
Can anyone tell me the gain on a White over Silver Milliskin screen?
Thanks. (and thanks for all the useful information!!!)
post #995 of 1011 Old 05-29-2015, 12:29 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Frame size is easy. Wrapping your head around a collapsible Frame is the issue.

However, the added size in the inside dimensions is too much....having 4" total (2." all around" is sufficient and a good distance to accommodate 3.25" Trim.

But really, ypur "fold up" plan is a real lesson in conflicting issues.

You'll have to have the ability to install / remove two layers of spandex repeatedly (...and relatively easily...) and still get it all to the correct tauntness.

The Frame must break down / re-assemble repeatedly and remain "True" and stiff.

Get a new GF. That will be a world easier and probably more satisfying in the long run.
aerodynamics and dRwOOD73 like this.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #996 of 1011 Old 05-29-2015, 12:31 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fievel93 View Post
I've read so many of these threads that my mind is numb with information. But in that reading, I lost track if I saw this answered or not (and the search function isn't so helpful).....
Can anyone tell me the gain on a White over Silver Milliskin screen?
Thanks. (and thanks for all the useful information!!!)
Approx. 0.9...but if you use 0.8 when figuring out Throw distance and foot lamberts, you'll be all the more safer by doing so.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #997 of 1011 Old 05-29-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Frame size is easy. Wrapping your head around a collapsible Frame is the issue.

However, the added size in the inside dimensions is too much....having 4" total (2." all around" is sufficient and a good distance to accommodate 3.25" Trim.

But really, ypur "fold up" plan is a real lesson in conflicting issues.

You'll have to have the ability to install / remove two layers of spandex repeatedly (...and relatively easily...) and still get it all to the correct tauntness.

The Frame must break down / re-assemble repeatedly and remain "True" and stiff.

Get a new GF. That will be a world easier and probably more satisfying in the long run.
Great advice all around. I wasn't sure how much stretch the fabric could take but it seems like not much. Good news is this will make the frame a bit smaller and in my space, every inch counts.

As for the frame, it would be similar to what Visual Apex sells but a wood version of it:
http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...175&Category=4

I like the one Carl's sells using EMT conduit. It seems very sturdy but harder to break down:
http://www.carlofet.com/standing-pro...l#.VWi1bVqUsq4

I'm also exploring the idea of using a DJ lighting truss setup. Saw someone here do it and it seems very easy to setup and breakdown. 80/20 aluminum is another route but I'm not sure if it makes sense cost-wise.

Or, I could just drill some holes in the wall...

My always evolving setup | Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma | Sony STR-DH800 AVR | Energy Take Classic 7.2 | Comcast X1 | PS4 | Panasonic DMP-BD60

Last edited by aerodynamics; 05-29-2015 at 12:37 PM.
post #998 of 1011 Old 05-29-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
Great advice all around. I wasn't sure how much stretch the fabric could take but it seems like not much. Good news is this will make the frame a bit smaller and in my space, every inch counts.

As for the frame, it would be similar to what Visual Apex sells but a wood version of it:
http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...175&Category=4

I like the one Carl's sells using EMT conduit. It seems very sturdy but harder to break down:
http://www.carlofet.com/standing-pro...l#.VWi1bVqUsq4

I'm also exploring the idea of using a DJ lighting truss setup. Saw someone here do it and it seems very easy to setup and breakdown. 80/20 aluminum is another route but I'm not sure if it makes sense cost-wise.

Or, I could just drill some holes in the wall...
I don't think the frame breakdown and put together will be your problem; rather, the reattaching the spandex every time. Usually the spandex is stapled to the frame or people use the screen tight system, but I don't see how you'd do either with a collapsible frame. How were you thinking of attaching the spandex?
post #999 of 1011 Old 05-29-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think the frame breakdown and put together will be your problem; rather, the reattaching the spandex every time. Usually the spandex is stapled to the frame or people use the screen tight system, but I don't see how you'd do either with a collapsible frame. How were you thinking of attaching the spandex?
Tarp clips on the fabric hooked onto eye bolts along the inside perimeter. I'd like something prettier but as long it can be stretched to size without any distortion, I can probably come up with a mask or trim that hides the hardware.

post #1000 of 1011 Old 05-29-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
Tarp clips on the fabric hooked onto eye bolts along the inside perimeter. I'd like something prettier but as long it can be stretched to size without any distortion, I can probably come up with a mask or trim that hides the hardware.
Interesting. Have you tried a clip on a piece of spandex yet? I'd just wonder if the spandex would be too thin or too slick to stay in the clip. I know you don't want a ton of tension on the material but you need enough to pull it tight and I'd be worried they would pop out. I've never used tarp clips before though so maybe they have more holding power than I'm thinking.
post #1001 of 1011 Old 05-29-2015, 03:31 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

The edges will have to be sewn into a reinforced edge, and a veritable plethora of clips used.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1002 of 1011 Old 05-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Have you tried a clip on a piece of spandex yet? I'd just wonder if the spandex would be too thin or too slick to stay in the clip. I know you don't want a ton of tension on the material but you need enough to pull it tight and I'd be worried they would pop out. I've never used tarp clips before though so maybe they have more holding power than I'm thinking.
A fellow member used the clips on milliskin in his build here and it seems to hold well:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1772169-apartment-setup-guidance.html
post #1003 of 1011 Old 05-29-2015, 03:43 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Then I'd say go for it.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1004 of 1011 Old 06-03-2015, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 64
did we ever figure out what a practical maximum size was for the spandex AT screen?

the fabric comes in 72" widths? right? so with wrap arounds it would be roughly 120 x 68? or a 138 16:9 diagonal?

also I'm trying to figure out how you would secure the stretched end of the spandex with screen tight - is that a 2 (or more?) person job? one to hold it and one to pound the screen tight snap in?
post #1005 of 1011 Old 06-03-2015, 11:52 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
did we ever figure out what a practical maximum size was for the spandex AT screen?

the fabric comes in 72" widths? right? so with wrap arounds it would be roughly 120 x 68? or a 138 16:9 diagonal?
Spandex can easily accommodate at least 6" of stretch each direction....more actually, so you can plot a screen's height to be the smae as the actual width of whatever the Spandex comes in.

Quote:
also I'm trying to figure out how you would secure the stretched end of the spandex with screen tight - is that a 2 (or more?) person job? one to hold it and one to pound the screen tight snap in?
\While some have stated they did the job by themselves easily enough...obviously two hands will allow for a quicker, more assured project.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1006 of 1011 Old 06-03-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Spandex can easily accommodate at least 6" of stretch each direction....more actually, so you can plot a screen's height to be the smae as the actual width of whatever the Spandex comes in.
and what is that max width of what we have commonly agreed to as the "go to" fabric? I thought it was 72"?

edit its 60"

http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/795

6" of stretch leads to a 72" max height screen - 3" on both sides to secure it down = 66"

so 66" tall = 117 wide or 135 diagonal.

That's the max.

Last edited by JRock3x8; 06-03-2015 at 12:24 PM.
post #1007 of 1011 Old 06-03-2015, 05:28 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
and what is that max width of what we have commonly agreed to as the "go to" fabric? I thought it was 72"?

edit its 60"

6" of stretch leads to a 72" max height screen - 3" on both sides to secure it down = 66"

That's the max.
Pretty Close fur shur. Although you could eke out another 4" total.

The real issue with stretching so far is double-edged....you want to get the stretching equal all around, and avoid distorting the Weave and opening it up.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1008 of 1011 Old 06-09-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

edit its 60"

That's the max.
revising this :

60" max width + 6" stretch - 6" of material to wrap around and secure it (3" each side) = 60" max height.

60" tall at 2.35 = 141" wide, 153" diagonal
60" tall at 16:9 = 107" wide, 122" diagonal
post #1009 of 1011 Old 06-09-2015, 09:24 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
revising this :

60" max width + 6" stretch - 6" of material to wrap around and secure it (3" each side) = 60" max height.

60" tall at 2.35 = 141" wide, 153" diagonal ***
60" tall at 16:9 = 107" wide, 122" diagonal
*** One of the few times that a 2.39:1 screen winds up in parity "Height-wise" with a 16:9...and certainly substantially wider too boot.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1010 of 1011 Old 06-30-2015, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Red face

MississippiMan Hello!!!

Last edited by HCORE; 06-30-2015 at 08:07 PM.
post #1011 of 1011 Old 06-30-2015, 04:04 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCORE View Post
MississippiMan Hello!!! I want to show the screen from fabric ($5 METER), I regret but there is no serial number of fabric what to share. But fabric is very similar to a sample from China (gray steel opaque),Projector LG PA 70G (medium energy) ,distanse 3,5 meters...90"....???
You should take the content of your Post above and put it all up in a new Thread, or take it over to the Black Screen Thread.

This is Spandex country, and I'm pretty sure there is a prejudiced outlook as to what constitute "On Topic" fare.

Great Title for you....
HCORE goes Hard Core with Fabric Screen!
(BTW...the Bee looks great!)

Now Git!

ps.....hit "Edit" and "Delete" after you transfer the info. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section