110" DIY Spandex AT Screen - Page 34 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old Today, 06:11 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post
I have no doubt the Carl's tape is a good product. I've never used the tape but I've used their screen material and I was pretty happy with it. I just wouldn't be able to use the tape if the biggest width is 4" since I'm using 1x4s as my border - it would be just shy of being able to wrap around the face and sides. I actually used the Protostar Hi-tack roll material when I did my borders. At .50/inch (30" wide), a 120" x 4" border would be pretty close in price (Carl's shows 49.99 for the 4") I don't know how the Protostar tape is, but the roll material was SUPER sticky; once it was on it wasn't coming off!
. Always good to have multiple choices right?
I can see in your case where you needed just that smidgin' extra width. In truth your the exception to the rule, as for many these days it difficult to have them even consider 3.25" x 1/2 Mdf.

I have always tried to refrain people from using 1x4s because the stand off along the edges leading into the screen can cast shadows. Especially from any ambient light in the room. 3/4" height is just too much....1/2" is borderline....Trim / wood that tapers down to a 1/16th edge...or 1/8th at most is ideal. Which is why the Mdf Base Molding works well when wrapped with Velvet. The material effectively hides the millwork edges.

And sometimes you can find 3.25" x 1/2" Primed Pine base that is wholly smooth and tapers / curves down to a 1/16" tall edge. That stuff looks exactly like a custom milled Screen Trim, and it would in fact be ideally suited for applying either ProtoStar or the 4" Carl's.

Anyway...it's all good. The both offer a decent choice.

For years all we had a crappy Felt Tape to turn to, or at very best the Duvetyne Flock Tape....which itself wasn't very good at all. Not really anything but sticky backed Black Felt

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I can see in your case where you needed just that smidgin' extra width. In truth your the exception to the rule, as for many these days it difficult to have them even consider 3.25" x 1/2 Mdf.

I have always tried to refrain people from using 1x4s because the stand off along the edges leading into the screen can cast shadows. Especially from any ambient light in the room. 3/4" height is just too much....1/2" is borderline....Trim / wood that tapers down to a 1/16th edge...or 1/8th at most is ideal. Which is why the Mdf Base Molding works well when wrapped with Velvet. The material effectively hides the millwork edges.

And sometimes you can find 3.25" x 1/2" Primed Pine base that is wholly smooth and tapers / curves down to a 1/16" tall edge. That stuff looks exactly like a custom milled Screen Trim, and it would in fact be ideally suited for applying either ProtoStar or the 4" Carl's.

Anyway...it's all good. The both offer a decent choice.

For years all we had a crappy Felt Tape to turn to, or at very best the Duvetyne Flock Tape....which itself wasn't very good at all. Not really anything but sticky backed Black Felt
You know, I never even considered having a shadow from the thicker border; I'm just going to forget you said that so I'm not looking for it Honestly though, I've never noticed any shadowing if it is there.
That said, if I wasn't limited to my local lumberyard for wood on my build day I would have chosen a tapered trim; it just looks better to me.