110" DIY Spandex AT Screen - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

post #1141 of 1161 Old 04-14-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 549
AKA., try projecting onto it and see if you feel like it tints the image green or gives a nice color-balance.
Bilimoria likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
"A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1161 Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilimoria View Post
I have receive fabric. Milliskin silver fabric colour more like greenish colour. Is this correct?
Yes, kind of blue-greenish. You have to calibrate your projector anyway so any tint will be completely gone.
Bilimoria likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #1143 of 1161 Old 04-15-2016, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Some Mill varieties can have a slight Greenish Tint under Florescent Light and some Incandescent, but under a bright white light it should look Light Grey.

If not...I'd suggest returning it.
I don't think it's Light Grey. There is no option to return. Will it make huge difference in picture quality to worth ordering other fabric?
post #1144 of 1161 Old 04-16-2016, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
AKA., try projecting onto it and see if you feel like it tints the image green or gives a nice colour-balance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Yes, kind of blue-greenish. You have to calibrate your projector anyway so any tint will be completely gone.
I am building screen wall and finalizing my screen size with my temporary screen. Once I finish I will build my screen with this fabric and will calibrate projector. Good to know this.

I am very slowing my project. Also I am going to build two mini marty so it will take some time.

Thanks.
post #1145 of 1161 Old 04-18-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 156
cross posted from my build thread :

"
So while that was going on I built my AT screen and holy crap is that hard. It's not so much just putting the screen together but the thing is just so damn big that finding a clean surface to assemble it on was just a nightmare. I ended up rolling out the old carpet we had from the old theater and assembling it on that. No way was I going to assemble that on my drywall dusty floor. Also, I'm fairly certain I screwed it up because the screen is very gray. (It's white millskin on top of black millskin) I think I stretched the white layer more than the black layer which is exactly the opposite of what you are supposed to do. No way I'm redo-ing it though. Too much of a pain in the ass.

Next I mounted the screen which was it's own adventure. I bought two small french cleats from Menards which were fine but I just mis-measured by just a hair and I couldn't get one side to clear the cleat to engage it so I ended up having to lower both sides a quarter inch. I also drilled one screw to secure the cleat in backwards - only I could do something that dumb. The end result however is that I have about a half inch gap across the top of my screen which I'm not entire sure how to fill in. I haven't done any of the other fabric frames yet for the rest of the screen wall - that will happen later.
"
post #1146 of 1161 Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
You can stretch the Bottom layer a bit more than the Top layer, this to improve sound transmission and to serve as a more taunt base for your Top Layer to lay upon.

You stretch the Top Layer only so much as you get a smooth, wrinkle-free surface. That's about 10% in both directions. (6" to 8" each way)

MM, I am considering a CIH setup with white over black spandex, looking to do an approximately 140" wide screen, about 60" tall, for a 2.35:1 screen that will give me approximately a 120" diagonal 16:9 image.

Projector is a Sony HW40ES that I will manually zoom at the moment. I may do a dual PJ setup and leave the Sony zoomed. I own a JVC RS45U that powered lens memory, but needs to have ballast replaced so I won't be using it at this point.

Thoughts on using the Sony for a screen this large? Brightness issues, etc?

Thanks much!
post #1147 of 1161 Old 05-25-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post
MM, I am considering a CIH setup with white over black spandex, looking to do an approximately 140" wide screen, about 60" tall, for a 2.35:1 screen that will give me approximately a 120" diagonal 16:9 image.

Projector is a Sony HW40ES that I will manually zoom at the moment. I may do a dual PJ setup and leave the Sony zoomed. I own a JVC RS45U that powered lens memory, but needs to have ballast replaced so I won't be using it at this point.

Not to worry if the Theater is Dedicated and has good light control.
At that size however, do not expect a really dynamic 3-D image. The 60" x 107" 120 inch diagonal will be at the borderline between OK and Dull in 3-D

............but otherwise you'll be very happy.

Quote:
Thanks much!
You bet'cha.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
post #1148 of 1161 Old 05-26-2016, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello all DIY'ers. Im currently building a dedicated HT room. Its very small but its only for my family of 4. The room measures 10' wide 15' deep and 7.5' high. I was originally going to wait for a nice UHD TV but those things arent going down in price anytime soon. Ive will be building everything custom. I started reading this thread the other day and have finally finished it and i think after reading everything you all have convinced me to get a PJ with a DIY SCREEN. Im all about bang for my buck and clearly going this route ill be getting a much bigger screen than a 75" tv and save a good 7 to 800.00. I can live with 1080 HD for a few years more. I dont need to keep up with joneses when it comes to tvs. Going DIY in everything ive built so far have saved lots of money and is actually better than what i can get at a local retail store. So again thank you to all who have helped us noobs in this area. The DIY community is a very tight nit group of people who have always unselfishly helped others. If we can help others get to where they need to be WHY NOT. So this is what i had in mind and please advise accordingly

room measurements- 10'wide-15'deep-7.5' high

Projector- BENQ HT-1085ST

Spandex- white milliskin over grey milliskin???

Screen size -100"

Seating-9 feet away from where the screen would be.
But i do have 2 feet from the wall i could work with. So it could be 10-11 feet away

A question could be. Is that too close??

Ill try and post a pic so you guys can see the setup as is.
When the toom is in use it will be completely blacked out.
Am i missing something??
post #1149 of 1161 Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 AM

Here we go. This is where im at
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1464268509064.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1460738  
post #1150 of 1161 Old 05-26-2016, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
room measurements- 10'wide-15'deep-7.5' high

Projector- BENQ HT-1085ST

Spandex- white milliskin over grey milliskin???

Screen size -100"

Seating-9 feet away from where the screen would be.
But i do have 2 feet from the wall i could work with. So it could be 10-11 feet away

A question could be. Is that too close??

Ill try and post a pic so you guys can see the setup as is.
When the toom is in use it will be completely blacked out.
Am i missing something??
I was advised to go white over black and I like it quite a bit. The screen looks a bit silver when all the lights are on.

Your photo confuses me a bit - that screen doesn't look anywhere near 100"?

For screen size vs seating distance, I am a "closer is better" guy but not everyone agrees with me - I like to sit as far from the screen as the screen is wide, so 10' wide screen (not diagonal) = 10' seating distance.

But that's really personal preference and according to all the official charts I am way too close.

I sympathize with your size constraints - my ceiling height is a huge problem.
post #1151 of 1161 Old 05-26-2016, 07:14 AM

Jrock. Lol. Thats a mock up frame for a 55" tv. Ill make a frame the size of the screen so i can get a better feel for it and you guys can see for yourselves how it would look and advise me. The tv frame looks too small for the size of the wall. when i play BATTLFIELD 4 I want to be in the battlefield.
post #1152 of 1161 Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

At 100" diagonal (86" wide) sitting at 8' should be perfectly OK if your using a 1080p PJ and Milliskin.

Absolutely, immersion in the action makes Gaming everything it should be, and often is not. FPS, Tank Battles, Aerial Battles, Car Racing (wow!) all are crazy better when the image can come close to filling the peripheral.

By my reasoning, you should squat / stand at 6' and revel in the action.

You have a Short Throw PJ going in so there is absolutely no reason you cannot get "up close and personal" with the Bad Guys.

Sic 'em!

post #1153 of 1161 Old 06-06-2016, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been a long time lurker here on and am finally doing a DIY I've been wanting to do for the longest time. I'm starting a construct a decent size media/theater room. I've started with the screen as it seems to be simplest of builds. The frame I built is 68" x 120" but am now afraid that the spandex will not fit it correctly. I wanted to do a 136" 16:9 and 130" 2.40:1 screen. I ordered white and black matte milliskin spandex in 4yd's lengths.

Will the 60" spandex stretch to 70"vertically or am I going to be over stretching the fabric beyond it's limits for a the screen?

Thanks,
post #1154 of 1161 Old 06-06-2016, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No....But 70" is about at the limit though, and will require that you staple to the "sides" of whatever frame you use....not try to also wrap the materials around the back side and staple there.

post #1155 of 1161 Old 06-06-2016, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
No....But 70" is about at the limit though, and will require that you staple to the "sides" of whatever frame you use....not try to also wrap the materials around the back side and staple there.
I feel better now knowing that. I will staple it to the outer edge and make sure the stretch is even both axis.

Thanks MississippiMan. I appreciate the help.
post #1156 of 1161 Old 06-23-2016, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post

Thanks much!
Quote:
Not to worry if the Theater is Dedicated and has good light control.
At that size however, do not expect a really dynamic 3-D image. The 60" x 107" 120 inch diagonal will be at the borderline between OK and Dull in 3-D

............but otherwise you'll be very happy.
I am in the same boat with the 40ES (45ES now). This is the only mention of the 40ES I saw in this thread so I want to make sure there won't be any issues with a spandex screen.

I am wanting a 120"-130" diagonal screen. I can mount pj as close as possible to achieve image size (~13'-14' throw). Would white over black or white over silver be better? Room is dedicated theater and completely light controlled. Not too concerned with 3D, may or may not use it. Want to make sure I have enough brightness and if I can help with blacks that's always a plus. Walls will all be dark and or black.

Thanks!
post #1157 of 1161 Old 06-23-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

White over Black 120" = 16 fl at 12'-2" Throw onto 0.8 gain surface
(130" is just too "too" for the Sony's output ...can only deliver 14 fl off a .8 gain surface )

16 FLs is completely acceptable, the reference standard for a Home Theater. sufficient brightness is not a issue with light coontrol and proper Room color treatments.

What is really important is the Blacks will be greatly improved due to the effect the underlying Black Spandex will have....while the Matte White surface will still maintain some really pristine whites.

But be advised the figures state above are not based on running that 45'er in Cinema Best Mode. Of course you can try...and when there is NO light whatsoever in the room, it might be Ok.

post #1158 of 1161 Old 06-23-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
@MississippiMan - if you get a chance, could you take a peek at your PMs?

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - working on v2.0 in 2016, check it out.
post #1159 of 1161 Old 06-23-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
White over Black 120" = 16 fl at 12'-2" Throw onto 0.8 gain surface
(130" is just too "too" for the Sony's output ...can only deliver 14 fl off a .8 gain surface )

16 FLs is completely acceptable, the reference standard for a Home Theater. sufficient brightness is not a issue with light coontrol and proper Room color treatments.

What is really important is the Blacks will be greatly improved due to the effect the underlying Black Spandex will have....while the Matte White surface will still maintain some really pristine whites.

But be advised the figures state above are not based on running that 45'er in Cinema Best Mode. Of course you can try...and when there is NO light whatsoever in the room, it might be Ok.
Thanks MM. I really appreciate the knowledge/input you provide on this thread.

Should I try to leave an air gap (~1") btw the 2 layers as others have done or just put them against each other?

I am a little worried about having it bright enough on other modes, but since a DIY screen is so cheap (comparatively), I figure I can give it a shot and if I don't like it then I can always buy screen material from someone or buy a mfg screen
post #1160 of 1161 Old 06-23-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylr View Post
Thanks MM. I really appreciate the knowledge/input you provide on this thread.
Thank you...

Quote:
Should I try to leave an air gap (~1") btw the 2 layers as others have done or just put them against each other?
No

Quote:
I am a little worried about having it bright enough on other modes, but since a DIY screen is so cheap (comparatively), I figure I can give it a shot and if I don't like it then I can always buy screen material from someone or buy a mfg screen
It seems every AT material Mfg has it's own issues. If a given material is bright enough to claim +Gain, it has Morie' issues due to the differences in the brightest (solid) areas and the open (weave/hole) areas.
..........or it's not sonic-ally accurate.
..........or it's low gain
..........or, a combination of 2 of the aforementioned.

And one cannot overlook expensiveness factors.

As you stated, Spandex is a extremely inexpensive choice, one that excels "sonic-ally". It has one failing in that it is not 1.0 gain or higher...but that's a lacking in so many other AT screens as well. That cost more and sound no better, if that.

The whole spandex thing came about when one small group of Members with what could be called light cannons back then, needed a inexpensive material to give them the AT advantage. They already had to deal with sub 1.0 gain anyway...for a high price, so where was the risk?

The hardest thing about it is how those who are Lumen challenged want to pull on some Spandex and start running with it.

Yours is a good mentality. "I Gotta try it...pretty darn sure it will work in a idea situation, and effective calibration of a normal viewing mode will provide a good range of viewing. And that Black backing? Rich, satisfying Blacks from my Sony HS45es"

Spandex has become infectious. So go ahead.

Scratch that itch.
freestylr likes this.

post #1161 of 1161 Old 06-24-2016, 06:59 AM

Thanks MM.

I won't be setting everything up until about August but when I do I will report back on how the spandex works for me.

With the announcement of the 5040UB, I am now torn on which projector to get (45ES or 5040). The Epson supposedly has a higher lumen output, but with the 5030 and proper calibration, it was actually less. Time will tell how the 5040 does.

Until then, I wait for reviews... and read a lot more forums.
Ronman79 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page