Thought I would share my experiences in spraying a Silver Fire V2.5 3.0
screen over the weekend. I had previously created a thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435528/recommendations-wanted-for-best-paint-to-use-in-small-dedicated-theater-with-epson-3010
to get some input on the best paint to use in my situation. Since I wasn't sure of which formulation of RS MaxxMudd MM was recommending and I already had the supplies on hand for SF, I did some additional reading and decided to give 3.0
a shot to help my contrast ratio while also keeping a good level of brightness for 3d viewing. I had the time and supplies, and mistakes can be corrected if I don't like the results, so away I went!
I put together my Dexter kill room Sunday morning and sprayed a few coats of Behr UPW as a primer/base. Next it was on to the Silver Fire. Let me first off add my appreciation for the squirrel cage mixer recommendation. Mixing up all of those components would have been a complete disaster without that squirrel cage, and with it mixing was a breeze! After getting everything measured out and creating my 3.0 mix, I loaded up the Wagner and started laying down coats. I took it slow and tried to lay down a thin coat each round (close to a "duster" for every coat until maybe the 5th) and put down either 7 or 8 coats, I'm not sure at this point exactly how many were sprayed over the course of the day...The results:
There's a few imperfections and I definitely learned that I will need to take a bit more time preparing the surface prior to starting to paint next time, but even so I'm VERY happy with the results. Contrast ratio and color saturation are greatly improved. The image REALLY pops off the screen now and looks fantastic! Time will tell if the small imperfections I ended up with bother me enough to tape everything up again and make some repairs, but for now I'm ecstatic with the way it looks!
Sorry I didn't take photos during the process, but here's a couple (bad) pictures taken with my iPhone 4 that is on it's last legs:
screenshot taken during the day with door/blinds closed but ambient light still present:
The pictures are pretty bad & grainy but hopefully they give some indication of the results. I'll update this thread with better pictures when I get my new camera and as I add framing/other room treatments.
Last, I'd like to extend a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone here that has contributed to the base of knowledge in the DIY Screen forum. There's a HUGE amount of info here and it can be overwhelming but the results are fantastic if you research and give it a shot!