Is a 1" border thick enough? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-05-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I plan on painting an area on my wall a very light gray mixture, and using black matte paper tape as a border. Instead of 2" like I've used before, I've been considering using a 1" black border. I've seen large HDTV's and screens with minimal borders, and they had a very streamlined, sleek look about them. Does anyone know if the look translates well to DIY screens, or does it just come off looking skimpy?

For no reason at all, here is my previous screen with a 2" border. In that case I used white photography paper and taped (later glued) to the wall so I wouldn't have to paint anything. BIG mistake.The paper would drastically expand and contract at the slightest change in humidity, making huge billows in the screen. Caused a lot of hassle, espeically for anyone viewing the image slightly to the side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did she smell your socks? tongue.gif Just kidding biggrin.gif

Personally I like the 2-3" but I guess the bigger the screen the thicker the border. Of course nobody is stopping from trying a smaller border. Try it and if you like it then why not stick with it. You could also try to take a picture of the wall with your current screen and photoshop in the border you like to get a general idea of the out come.

You can also take a look in this old thread I found on the subject:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/732107/how-thick-of-a-border-do-you-like-on-your-diy-screen
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page