Looking for a straight forward build plan resource... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to start the build on my first "home theater," and looking for some insight. I need an acoustically transparent screen because of space issues. So here is what i bought:
Optoma HD20
Spandex Moleskin Matte - White and Silver 3yrds each
Black Plush Triple Velvet - 3yrds

I plan on putting the silver over the white, as i prefer contrast over bright. I assume this is the way to go with this combination of projector and fabric. The room is a basement with no windows. room = 131" x 190" x 78"

I'll preface this by saying my FIL is a carpenter and will be helping me with the framing, although he knows nothing about home theater screens.
I've noticed many threads and sites building just the screen. This seems pretty straight forward to me. Where i am getting confused is how to attach the outer velvet wrapped frame to the screen frame and then to the wall and have a clean finished look.
I found the attached graphic, but this doesn't seem like the optimal route to go, and it looks like i would have to cap the outer edge so you don't see whats doing underneath.
I'd like to be able to provide him a simple plan rather than showing him random photos and trying to figure it all out.

Also, as far as building materials:
the velvet frame should be made out of: MDF "Base" Trim. (3.25" wide x 5/8"" thin)
and the screen frame should be made out of a hard wood, not pine, (any recommendations on this?)

Any help would be appreciated... my brain is pretty fried at the moment from research.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well all I plan on doing is getting some 1x3 poplar wrap that with velvet and either staple or use the some of the ideas Ive read about for using screen door / window spline to attach the fabric
to it !
Im using blackout cloth behind the silver spandex as I dont need an acoustically transparent screen. Thats basically what I did for my black out cloth 92 in screen about 5 yrs ago and its been fine . Thought Id move up to 100 inches and try out the silver spandex. Might do it this weekend if time permits just recieved the fabric today.
This may help ya out -
http://www.avsforum.com/t/865218/wrapping-black-velvet-on-trim-with-mitered-or-butt-joined-ends

Tom O.