Screen options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have my PJ projecting on to the flat white wall in my basement HT area. The image looks good to me (an expert might disagree) but either way I'm planning on painting the rest of the wall a dark color to reduce reflection and just make the whole thing a better experience.

My question for the group is this. I have access to a lot of screens through the day job. When any screens we use at my educational job break for whatever reason we just replace them so I've taken a few home that are in excellent condition screen wise but are broken in some form or another. What this means is the screens are ok but they no longer roll up or stay down. So is it a dumb idea to take the screen material and build it onto a frame to hang on the wall? I was thinking of either doing that or just like wall paper pasting it to the wall and building a black velvet trim around it to frame it. So is this a dumb idea? Should I just stick to a painted screen?

TYIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Unless you work in a place where the Screens are any more "high performance" than a simple Matte White or High Contrast Gray, you will not achieve the best screen possible for the least amount invested. It may well be "Cheaper"...maybe a LOT if they are free, and that cannot be simply ignored, I realize that...but not enough to warrant not having the exact size / format you need / want. and have it be optimally suited for your PJ and the room's conditions. A Theater doesn't need to be anything but the best you can make it.

Now if you have wall issues, you could take enough of the right Matte White screen material, Frame it...and paint on a far superior surface.

...............but using the Wall has great appeal in my thinking...if it can be done.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting back so fast! Great info on here too!
I know free is hard to pass up, and I do have some pretty large screens so my plan was to cut one down to the size to fit my wall but I didn't really see anything wrong with what I was currently doing. The flat white wall I have now is pretty good, I just need to get some color on the non screen areas to darken the room up a bit. The projector I am using is an Epson 7900 which isn't really a movie style projector but more of a classroom type and it's a bit of over kill at 4000 lumens for a dark basement. I do however plan to upgrade that when I get my hands on something newer when we do an upgrade this winter at work. I should probably wait till that happens in case a newer projector has a different throw distance.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

An even faster reply.... wink.gif I have my eye on you! eek.gif

Very few presentation PJs are suitable to use in a dedicated Theater....most being 4:3 format with a few newer ones being 1280 x 800.

Contrast is King...and once again, the brightness and lack of appreciable contrast in such Presentation PJs works against the quality of a true Movie image.

However, the use of a darker Gray screen can help mitigate both issues, by attenuating brightness and increasing Black levels.

But....the real object is to ideally balance the performance of the Pj to a screen. That would also mean trying to get a 1080p Pj with appreciable Contrast Specs and a Lumen output of at least 2000
Doing so, and by getting the room into a color scheme that also benefits your viewing, by purchasing a Refurbed PJ and painting an ideally suited screen, you can achieve tremendous performance on a extremely low budget.

Not "Free" mind you...but you can walk into a 120" diagonal image w/1080p quality for well under $1500.00

Example:
A Epson 8350 has a extremely long Focal range, 2000 lumen output, 50K:1 Contrast, and Lens Shift. Hard not to find love in a Pj you can get all that with only a $899 outlay (New) and a additional $125.00 worth of materials for a excellent DIY Drywall Screen

Bump up to a Epson 8700 Refurb for 200,000:1 Contrast for about $500.00 more.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #5 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Most of my PJ's at work are of the 16:10 variety with all over 4k lumen range so in time I can get my hands on those. Like I said I have a decent one coming my way this winter I just have to wait it out.

I would love to go the dedicated route and have the right tool for the job but I have a few addictions that will put the wife in a state of mind I don't wish to see. When I started the basement project I was "forced" to agree to keep the budget around zero, but I've gotten to buy a few perks here and there. You see I have a massive car collecting problem, a video game addiction, and I already have a nice setup in the living room upstairs. When I did the living room about 2 years ago I fed her the usual lines of "If I get this tv we won't need another one for years" and other similar stories I'm sure we've all told. Don't get me wrong she's an amazing wife, but I don't want to push the limit further than I already do when I need a new pc for the latest game, or when I promised to sell one of the cars and didn't actually advertise it anywhere tongue.gif
post #6 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well....dump one of your least liked cars.....and show her you mean business! It's amazing how tractable recalcitrant spouses can become when they see you make what they see as a real sacrifice. Besides, when did you last watch a Movie in surround sound in a car?

WXGA (1280 x 800) units can be very acceptable. I just completed a multi-purpose Room install using a Viewsonic Short Throw w/3000 lumen (HDMI - 24hz -) and 15K:1 Contrast hitting a dark Gray painted Retractable Tab Tensioned Screen http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0 But it had to be painted to be all it could be...and that cost at least an additional $100.00.

Set on Low Lamp mode, it still allowed for considerable light in the room, and the dark Gray also helped combat the ill effects of what was less than an ideal ceiling color. However it's (PJ) contrast specs were/are the best in the industry at present for any WXGA PJ...and being a Short Throw made it all the more rare a bird to cage.

Anyway....there is always a combination of Screen / PJ/ Room that can be made to work if most every aspect can be made to be ideal. "Free" always helps....but it can also hinder one terribly if one becomes aware of how much better things can become if no really undue compromise needs to be made.

................so Sell SELL SELL!

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #7 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

LOL I'd love to sell one, just finding a buyer in this crap market is a problem. As for movies, I have a 55" Samsung 8000 series upstairs that' been pretty good for that so far. I'll get the basement sorted this winter. I'm unfamiliar with the grey screen bit so I'll have to do some reading and get edumacated on it!
post #8 of 12 Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 AM

Liked: 12
just curious what screen size are you projecting? I imagine with 4000 lumens, you could fill the entire wall no problem.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

I was blasting a 79"w x 62"h since the only restriction I had was that was as far as I could zoom the projector from where I had it mounted. However this weekend I just installed some in wall speakers and like an idiot I didn't realize how big of a space I needed so the 1st stud after the doorway wasn't wide enough I've had to stagger the whole setup down one more stud. So now I'm going to be restricted to a screen with a maximum width of 74". Once I get my new projector this winter when I do an upgrade at work I'll have to move the ceiling mount over about a foot and realign everything, I decided to just mask out the wall for a new painted screen when I do that.

Here's a quick shot from my phone of the new speakers installed. As you can see the projector is keystone-ing pretty bad to get the image straight but all that will be fixed when I move the projector and with the new one I'll have a better aspect ratio too.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

A better suggestion.

Build yourself a Spandex Screen that will cover the Speakers. Depending on your PJ selection, you could even go with a dedicated 2.35:1 screen large enough to still give you every bit of size your now currently having to limit yourself too....but when watching true Cinema Scope content, your screen size will be measurably larger.

Don't settle for "small"...in a Screen unless you absolutely have to. Almost any new PJ you'll chose will have more than adequate lumen output to drive into a sizable Spandex Screen, and not leave you wanting in any way performance related.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #11 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

So I'm finally getting around to fixing this up some more and would like to go the AT fabric route.
Am I correct in thinking that I just make 2 layers of spandex in a frame and hang it over the speakers?

I was looking at this http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/795#product-attributes but I don't see how I can get the right size if it comes in sq yards, or is the stretch big enough to incorporate the height we need?

Thanks for all your help MM! Just sorry I didn't get back into it till now.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It is not square yards but yard length. Think of the 60" as the height of the screen then you buy what you need for the width. The 60" can be stretched easily 30% to give you up to 80" in screen height. You should order about 3 yards of the material for your width of the screen if you plan to make a 120" diagonal screen.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page