Need help choosing screen material - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased my first projector... an Epson 705hd. I'm going to attempt to build my own screen. I've been looking online at different screen materials and am wondering if anybody has any experience with either of the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140750634812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330752601351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

My screen will be approximately 110" with seating about 12'-13' away. My room is fairly well light controlled, however, the walls and ceiling are light colored. Does anybody have any thoughts on what would provide the better picture? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 01:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
First off, neither material is considered "DIY" on this Forum because both are Mfg and sold specifically as a "Screen Product". On this forum we take consummate pride in creating DIY Projection Screens from materials not considered as being mfg. for "Screen use".. Both of the linked to Companies could advertise on AVS if they wished, but their activity would be confined to the "Screens" forum where all such "manufactured Screens" belong.

All that being said, both refer to only the actual screen material itself...not any of the other needed materials and components to effect a well made screen, DIY or otherwise. So the costs you see are wholly misleading.

Of the two, I selected what would be your best choice and PM'd you a link to be at least helpful. However please re-post onto the Screen Forum should you still want to garner any opinions as to the actual quality of, and experiences that people might have with such. You won''t find any such references on this Forum excepting references toward the use of Black-Out Cloth material.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I plan on purchasing the wood and other materials to build the frame myself. For the sake of argument and correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am, but isn't the sole purpose of black-out cloth for room darkening curtains? Can't you purchase it at some fabric stores? How is this any different than using spandex?

I apologize for my lack of understanding of the definition of "DIY". Thank you for your suggestion and education.... I do appreciate it.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

......and thank you for understanding what we aspire to. There is a truly high degree of satisfaction involved in achieving excellent results at the lowest cost possible, and using materials that would otherwise not be considered as being used.

Black Out Cloth is exactly that...and simply serves the other purpose because one side is white (coated side), relatively smooth, and it's somewhat inexpensive. It can also be had in "out-sized" proportions. However it remains a "low performance" option in the raw compared to being painted upon...and the construction of a suitably rigid frame can be a daunting task to some.

Spandex is MUCH more easy to work with...cost about the same as Black Out Cloth...and is much lighter in weight. A Frame need not be made nearly as sturdy since the degree of stretch pressure is much less. Spandex mostly finds favor amongst those who want a Acoustically Transparent Screen to place speakers behind, and want it to come at a extremely reasonable budget. Say...5x less expensive. biggrin.gif Now some have taken Spandex to breast because it is simply an easier Build than Black Out Cloth, and in the Silver metallic form, offers performance BOC cannot.

Myself...I prefer painted surfaces because they can be ANYTHING I wish them to be, and ideally configured to ANY PJ & viewing circumstances. That's important to me...and many others because compromise does not have to go hand in hand with "less expensive", and when you can achieve high performance levels at an extremely lower cost, your satisfaction index soars...and it all seems to have been all the more worthwhile an endeavor.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

How would the picture on "Moleskin Matte Silver" compare to the material you PM'd me about earlier? Would the benefits of both the ease of working with it and the lower price out way any performance decreases or would there be a performance decrease at all?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

The Matte Moleskin Silver spandex will offer better Blacks...but less gain than the other stuff.

But with the 705's Lumen output....you have no worries in the Gain dept.

Just be certain to use a white surface as backing...either a solid White board or White Spandex, so you won't lose excessive light via absorptive Pass-through

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
One thing to keep in mind is that the manufacturer's published lumen is useless, unless you want to torch up your room with the brightest mode in your PJ.

If you're after a more accurate picture, you're most likely running the PJ in natural/cinema/theater mode. At which point, lumen is significantly reduced. And once you calibrate the PJ (if that's something you intend to do), you'll probably end up with half of the stated lumens on your Epson PJ.

NEVER choose a screen based on the published lumens, which I often see being advocated in these forums.

Choose your screen based on the most accurate default settings provided by your PJ, and calibrate it to get it even closer.

My Epson 8100 has 1800 lumens. Once I calibrated it in 'Natural' mode, my lumen output is closer to 600. Just to give you an idea.

Edit: Btw, for a quick DIY screen with great results. Do yourself a favor and go pick up a can of SW Extra White and piece of 4x8 melamine from local big box and you get yourself a pretty nice looking screen for cheap. But don't take my words for it. Someone who reviews PJs for a living comes up with it.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both MississippiMan and smokarz for your help. I finally made my decision and ordered both the moleskin matte silver and white. Now to just purchase the materials for the frame and start building. biggrin.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Good luck.

I am sure you would like the spandex.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page