Now i want to do a Spandex screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well i am being bit once again by the "DIY" bug again biggrin.gif

With the help of people on this forum and all the excellent info i built a blackout cloth screen and painted it with a Sherwin Williams Unique Gray paint. I am using an Epson HD705. I hang the screen from the ceiling in front of the tv when we use it. When doing this it will block the center channel speaker. I am thinking of trying the Moleskin spandex that is being discussed a lot because of its acoustic transparency values. I have a few questions.

1. If i stretch it will it become too thin and cause light from the projector to bleed through?
2. Sould i back it first with white spandex and then put the silver spandex?
3. if i put two layer of spandex will this affect the sound of the center channel?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the building phase of my spandex screen. While I am no expert on this, I can regurgitate some of the info I have read and reread on all the spandex threads. Here we go..

#1. I sounds like it is imperative to do a double layer of spandex to prevent bleed through. This could be another layer of spandex. If you are not resizing the screen from your BOC build, I would just throw your choice of spandex over that. I believe I read in a thread that white vs black behind the silver aids in brightness, could be totally off base there though.

#2. See #1

#3. Well disregard what I wrote about the BOC, cause you are looking for an AT screen. 2 layers of spandex from what I have read has very minimal effects if any on sound quality.

Best of luck.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
With a single layer of white spandex I could see the frame through the spandex. With silver over the white the frame is not visible. Two layers of spandex will not hurt the sound quality, it has been tested. I am also in the DFW area so if you want to see a 120" screen in a 2.35:1 format, PM me and I can set up a showing, if interested.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well I am probally going to be redoing my screen sooner than later now. I had taken it down and leaned it up against our pool table. Well our cats decided to chase eachother and they managed to knock the screen over and it got a small 1 inch tear in it.

I am still deciding on either matte silver or now just matte white spandex and just use the existing screen as the backing. The reason about using white spandex now is i saw pics over on another thread that were half white and half silver and i thought the silver just looked dark. Since the blackout cloth is already painted a light shade of gray i think it will look better with the white stretched over it. The other option i have been thinking about is using a sheet of Sintra that I can get locally but goes under a different name.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Don't be mistaken.

If it was a very recent image posted last week, the Shot you saw was of a "Painted Bright White Solid" screen compared to a Silver Spandex surface merely draped over the latter....not stretched.

Otherwise, several weeks earlier was an actual White vs Gray "side-by-Side" that was much more indicative of what you should expect. However that Example also did not feature the Silver Spandex in a stretched-mode....only draped.

Too often people get misdirected by incomplete postings or their own assumptions.

At least two members have recently received Spandex material that has an actual Matte Silver metallic coating....something that might hold far greater promise than merely a Spandex that is "called" Silver metallic because of it's silver/gray color.

Study the threads a bit more carefully, and remember this above all else, ......comparing any pure white surface against a darker Gray surface will always grossly favor the former if sheer brightness is the primary consideration. As such, any such comparison is not really valid as far as showing the potential of same.

It's all about creating a balance between the PJ's output, the Screen's reflectivity, and the Room's reflective surfaces / Lighting conditions. The image /s you saw...while certainly posted with good intentions, offered none of those criteria. It was simply a "Hey...lookee here at the difference" kinda thing.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ok we'll I have made my descision and going with the matte silver moleskin. Before I order i do have one other question. I was planing on just covering the existing painted blackout screen with it. The blackout cloth is painted Sherwin Williams Unique Gray. It is a real light shade of gray not much darker than what the blackout cloth was to start with. Will this be a suitable backing color? Or should I just paint it a bright white?

Thank you
post #7 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Bright White.

And try to overlay the Spandex so that it is as close to being in direct contact with the White Surface as possible.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Bright White.
And try to overlay the Spandex so that it is as close to being in direct contact with the White Surface as possible.

I am wondering if i should go with a Flat, Eggshell, Satin or possibly a gloss white for the backing? When stretching the moleskin will it become more transparent? My thoughts are that having a bit of sheen to the backing color would help with contrast and brightness? Or would just using some Kilz white primer be good?

Thank you
post #9 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Don't be mistaken.
If it was a very recent image posted last week, the Shot you saw was of a "Painted Bright White Solid" screen compared to a Silver Spandex surface merely draped over the latter....not stretched.
Otherwise, several weeks earlier was an actual White vs Gray "side-by-Side" that was much more indicative of what you should expect. However that Example also did not feature the Silver Spandex in a stretched-mode....only draped.
Too often people get misdirected by incomplete postings or their own assumptions.
At least two members have recently received Spandex material that has an actual Matte Silver metallic coating....something that might hold far greater promise than merely a Spandex that is "called" Silver metallic because of it's silver/gray color.
Study the threads a bit more carefully, and remember this above all else, ......comparing any pure white surface against a darker Gray surface will always grossly favor the former if sheer brightness is the primary consideration. As such, any such comparison is not really valid as far as showing the potential of same.
It's all about creating a balance between the PJ's output, the Screen's reflectivity, and the Room's reflective surfaces / Lighting conditions. The image /s you saw...while certainly posted with good intentions, offered none of those criteria. It was simply a "Hey...lookee here at the difference" kinda thing.

And just to make it clear.

None of the images posted by anyone would ever matter. Too many variables involved to copy another person's applications.

It all comes down to what is best fit for your viewing preferences, equipments, room conditions, blah, blah, blah.

What I posted shows a significant difference in brightness between a WHITE screen and the silver molesksin (facts I fully disclosed).

I noticed with my own eyes that the matte silver was too dark (per my PJ settings), so I put a meter to it to prove it.

Now that's fact that anyone can consume. I repeat, fact. But there are people that prefer a darker picture, with better blacks and deeper colors while sacrificing brightness. You just can't have it all.

The best way to find out is just TRY it. Just like buying speakers, bring them home, put them in your room, hook them up to your components and listen to contents that you normally do and find the best set of speakers for your ears.

Good luck with our project, and remember to post some pics. We love 'eye candies' around these forums. wink.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well i am still up in the air with this project rolleyes.gif

I am wanting to redo this screen over the next couple of days and i don't want to go through the whole deal with ordering the spandex and not liking the outcome. Now i have been reading the "MaxxMudd" thread and i thinking about going this route instead. I will be rolling it onto a foam panel possibly and not the blackout cloth. I will post my questions in the specific thread.

RS-MaxxMudd LL v.2.1
(for lower lumen pj's and controlled light home theaters)

20 oz. Rustoleum Metallic Accents - White Pearl
10 oz. Liquitex Basics Silver
12 oz. Behr 1850 Ultra Pure White - Flat

12 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin finish
20 oz. distilled/tap water**

Thank you
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page