Painted Canvas 5x8 (16:10) Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just posting some progress pictures of my 5x8 screen that I'm working on.

Here's the hanging frame; it's built using standard kiln dried 2x4 pine. It's a bit heavy at 35lbs, but very stiff, straight (picked the straightest 2x4's I could find), and pretty inexpensive at $15. I also ran a steel cable with a tensioner so I could raise and lower the frame plus/minus 3 inches as needed.

Here's the canvas; it's been bleached white. It's standard 5x9 drop cloth fabric that I picked up at Lowes for around $10. Just as a note, I'm not really happy with the fabric, it's a bit too rough for my liking.

Tonight I'll be painting it with a satin white, we'll see how that goes :-D .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyvee View Post

Just posting some progress pictures of my 5x8 screen that I'm working on.
Here's the hanging frame; it's built using standard kiln dried 2x4 pine. It's a bit heavy at 35lbs, but very stiff, straight (picked the straightest 2x4's I could find), and pretty inexpensive at $15. I also ran a steel cable with a tensioner so I could raise and lower the frame plus/minus 3 inches as needed.

Here's the canvas; it's been bleached white. It's standard 5x9 drop cloth fabric that I picked up at Lowes for around $10. Just as a note, I'm not really happy with the fabric, it's a bit too rough for my liking.

Tonight I'll be painting it with a satin white, we'll see how that goes :-D .

Whoa Pardner!

Welcome to the DIY Forum! Now don't spoil it by doing something that will assure you of undesirable results.

If the Fabric (Canvass) is looking to have a rough texture, and you don't / can't apply at least two heavy coats of White Pimer and sand the second coat, then using a "Satin" will only accentuate the texture. Switch to a Flat Latex.

This DIY Forum exists with a primary goal in mind....to provide the sage advice needed of the NOOB DIY'er to use to accomplish something very special. You've constructed a stout frame, and you have a goal in mind....so let's try to make certain your end results exceed your expectations. If that means going at it all at a more measured pace....then doing so will only benefit you in the short and long run.

Hey Bud? If you see this Thread....pipe in and give this new member the benefit of your own personal "Canvass" experience.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Whoa Pardner!
Welcome to the DIY Forum! Now don't spoil it by doing something that will assure you of undesirable results.
If the Fabric (Canvass) is looking to have a rough texture, and you don't / can't apply at least two heavy coats of White Pimer and sand the second coat, then using a "Satin" will only accentuate the texture. Switch to a Flat Latex.

I think I shouldn't have said rough texture; it's a pretty tight weave cotton/poly blend. I would call it more of a "pilling" or "bobble" problem. I'll take a picture of it tonight when I get home. But right now, I'm thinking about using a razor to (carefully) remove the pill.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyvee View Post

I think I shouldn't have said rough texture; it's a pretty tight weave cotton/poly blend. I would call it more of a "pilling" or "bobble" problem. I'll take a picture of it tonight when I get home. But right now, I'm thinking about using a razor to (carefully) remove the pill.

Well you most assuredly have to remove any obvious niftkins, and be advised that many, if not most who have used Canvas in the past have always applied a leveling compound of some type, then sanded, while still others simply used thickly applied paint to smooth the surface as much as possible. And a few "Others" actually didn't do 'nuthin; at all and used it as is.

Artist Gesso was / is one choice as a leveling compound...while some simply used ultra thick primer...at least two heavy coats, and sanded the second coat smooth before applying whatever topcoat they chose.

Read these Threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/336478/diy-artists-canvass

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1138642/diy-screen-question#post_16272051

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=635968

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Thanks for posting the link MM.

Canvas screen still drum tight and bouncing light back like the day i hung her.

biggrin.gif

Bud

post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

no problemo bud,

.... but tell it truthfully, I bet you had to adjust those nifty tensioners at least a few times over the years. wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

no problemo bud,
.... but tell it truthfully, I bet you had to adjust those nifty tensioners at least a few times over the years. wink.gif

Just once. I had a chair accidently fall against the screen once with a good hard wack and put a dent in the canvas. I was sick thinking it was not going to be repairable and it was small but annoying in the image. I took the screen down and sprayed the back with water around the dent. As long as I had it down I gave each spring about one more turn of tension. Hung it back up and within a week the screen repaired itself.

I promptly played the movie Christine. I think I posted photos of the dent way back when.

biggrin.gif

Bud

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page