Another silver matte moleskin screen build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok! I'm at last building my screen! Thanks to this forum i've decided to go with the matte moleskin silver spandex over matte white. The fram is built of ... i don't know the word in english smile.gif but i'ts supposed to be harder than just the ordinary, but it's not oak wink.gif

The screen is 113" without the black border, so depending how i build that it will be a 104 - 108" viewing area.

I've painted the frame in the same color as the wall behind it, just for safety. The middle frame supports are made of a the same material but a couple of millimeter thinner so there should be no worries about it touching the spandex.

More images and info. will be posted as i go along ... Keeping my fingers crossed that it will turn out ok!

Once again thanks to everybody in this forum, and a big thank you to MississippiMan who is a fantastic resource here on the forum!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-13-2012, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking forward to your build and your review on how the screen performs. I too am in the process of redoing my blackout cloth screen with spandex.

Thank you
post #3 of 30 Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Looking good. I like that frame already.

wink.gif
post #4 of 30 Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM

Liked: 10
+1 on the frame. I also like your approach to not having the supports show through. Great minds think alike.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

OK! So here we go! Got my silver & white matte moleskin, my screen tight thingys and the frame! Here are some images so far.
Put some thin wooden pieces along the front of the frame to keep the fabric from touching the frame.

post #6 of 30 Old 12-15-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Looks good! Keep up the good work and you'll be rewarded with a nice screen. I also went with Silver over white. I had some friends over to watch the Bourne Legacy and they were blown away by the picture. I was thinking about switching it to white over silver, but I'm just loving the blacks too much so I'm keeping it as is. The best part is being able to put my speakers in the right spot behind the screen for optimal listening. I will never go back to a non-AT screen - it's that good.

post #7 of 30 Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 PM

Looks good Kristofer. I just competed my build. Need to get some pics posted on my thread. I ended up using the backside of the silver metalic(which was a white with a sheen) as my backer to the silver moleskin. I can definitely tell it is brighter compared to 2 layers of the silver moleskin on top of each other.
post #8 of 30 Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I'm about to do a Silver "Millskin" overlay directly against / on top of a SF v2.5 2.0 Drywall surface.

Epson 8700UB
122" diagonal.

I'm counting on the lighter Silver Spandex combining with a positive Gain non-absorptive "Silvery" surface to create markedly better Blacks without adversely attenuating Whites.

I'll be removing the Velvet Trim, stretching the Spandex out, stapling the material to the Wall, then re-applying the Trim and edging the extra material with a Sharp blade.

It will serve to be a AT Screen because the Screen Wall itself is acting as the Center Channel Speaker due to the use of Audio Transducers.

This will be a first time ever attempt for me using this Spandex stuff, and I chose the lighter Silver Millskin just to hedge my bet a little bit..

Gotta say though it still has me feeling a little anxious. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #9 of 30 Old 12-16-2012, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still a little bit concerned about the trim/frame, but i saw a sketch that you MM did and i guess it's quite straight forward. Do you think it will show much if i use two pieces of black velvet on the longest sides of the frame? I have some velvet left from the drapes and i can of course buy some more but i'm thinking it might not show as it's kind of pitch black.
post #10 of 30 Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 AM

when i mounted my trim border i did thinks a little different. I wanted the flexibility to remove the trim without damaging the screen and trim if I needed to change viewing surfaces, i.e. new spandex. When I made my trim I made it so it would be larger than the screen itself. I allowed for about an inch of the trim on either side to extend past the screen.

1. I used some L brackets to connect the trim pieced together. So i ended up with a nice little or big rather rectangle. I laid this on the floor.
2. I laid the screen on to the trim/border, getting it nicely centered so there was equal amount of "show" of the backside of the trim.
3. I screwed L brackets to the trim. One side of the L would butt up to the perimeter of the screen. I did this around the screen.
4. It looks good while its on the floor, but when you stand it up the screen would just fall out so need to secure it.
5. I attached some screw in loops to the backside of the trim and to the backside of the frame of the screen.
6. I then used picture frame wire and tightly secured the trim to the frame.

Ended up turning out as I had planned. Much expensive than just nailing it to the frame. It gives me the luxury of being able to easily take of the trim to remove my spandex if needed without damaging the spandex or the trim. I would only have to invest in more wire if needed.
post #11 of 30 Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I'm about to do a Silver "Millskin" overlay directly against / on top of a SF v2.5 2.0 Drywall surface.
Epson 8700UB
122" diagonal.
I'm counting on the lighter Silver Spandex combining with a positive Gain non-absorptive "Silvery" surface to create markedly better Blacks without adversely attenuating Whites.
I'll be removing the Velvet Trim, stretching the Spandex out, stapling the material to the Wall, then re-applying the Trim and edging the extra material with a Sharp blade.
It will serve to be a AT Screen because the Screen Wall itself is acting as the Center Channel Speaker due to the use of Audio Transducers.
This will be a first time ever attempt for me using this Spandex stuff, and I chose the lighter Silver Millskin just to hedge my bet a little bit..
Gotta say though it still has me feeling a little anxious. biggrin.gif

Interested in your findings with your first spandex screen. Be very interested in your opinions compared to other substrates once you get your hands and eyes on it.
post #12 of 30 Old 12-22-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ok! So the screen is just up! Haven't done the black velvet frame yet! I went with silver over white, we'll see how it turns out!

One question! We stretched the silver as much as we could, and i noticed two creases on the surface, don't seem to go away with the stretch. Do you think it will go away eventually or should i steam it?

I'll post some shots of the screen later tonight!
post #13 of 30 Old 12-22-2012, 03:55 PM

I threw mine in the dryer for a bit before I mounted it. What wrinkles left did pull out easy. I dont have mine stretched super super tight.
post #14 of 30 Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

Interested in your findings with your first spandex screen. Be very interested in your opinions compared to other substrates once you get your hands and eyes on it.

Well I've certainly gotten behind the use of Spandex as an alternative to the varied Mfg AT Screens, and perhaps as a result, several others have recently embraced Spandex as a "Regular Use" Screen surface as well. So I figure it's about time I gave it a whirl myself. redface.gif

The Spandex will be overlaying an existing Silver Fire v2.5 2.0 painted Drywall surface. The Primer coats were rolled on (...don't do that! ) and some Roller Mark streaking along the Top edge of the Screen was / is apparent during brighter, light colored content. The SF 2.0 surface certainly has "MORE" gain than the White Spandex normally used for a backing so it should work very well in this instance.

Wholly unacceptable, but the proud owner (sorta) cannot allow another complete re-masking and Painting job because of spousal considerations. rolleyes.gif

So this is gonna be the "Fix".

By my figurin' even if the Silver Millskin Spandex comes slouchin' in at 0.8 gain, under the set distance and screen size parameters I'll still smack the Spandex with 20 fls runnin' on Normal Lamp, and a easy 16 fls calibrated (...in Living Room Mode...)

I'm fully expecting more fls, but to err in excess as far as not having satisfactory Foot Lambert is to be all the more happier to be in error.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #15 of 30 Old 12-23-2012, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

We'll, i'm not talking my screen down now smile.gif but the wrinkles ar not visible when projected on, so i guess i'll just wait them out!
I didn't get around to take any shots yeasterday due to exhausting work of putting it up smile.gif Will try again today!
post #16 of 30 Old 12-23-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I was going to ask if it was something you could see when the projector was actually on but it looks like y'all had that conversation before I had a chance to reply. Mine had wrinkles too but it's not noticeable once the lights are off and the projector is on so I don't plan to do anything about it. I envision that some people must have larger or worse wrinkles possibly because mine are hardly noticeable really.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #17 of 30 Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

I was going to ask if it was something you could see when the projector was actually on but it looks like y'all had that conversation before I had a chance to reply. Mine had wrinkles too but it's not noticeable once the lights are off and the projector is on so I don't plan to do anything about it. I envision that some people must have larger or worse wrinkles possibly because mine are hardly noticeable really.

Well, i guess since i have three spotlights directly above the screen it makes it more visible, but i'm not gonna do anything about it ...

Merry christmas by the way!
post #18 of 30 Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I have no lights on mine and can see where that wold create shadows that emphasize the wrinkles. Why aim spotlights on a movie screen?

Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #19 of 30 Old 12-25-2012, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

Yeah, I have no lights on mine and can see where that wold create shadows that emphasize the wrinkles. Why aim spotlights on a movie screen?
Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!

Well, it looks good when there is no movie showing, and i have those three spotlights on a seperate channel so when i dim the cinema the screen goes out last, which look kind of cool biggrin.gif
post #20 of 30 Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I chose function over form. No lights for me when I'm watching mine.

Jer

post #21 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

OK! Loooong time and no post from me smile.gif haven't gotten around to shooting any screen shots yet, been to busy watching movies biggrin.gif But it will come eventually when the velvet border is in place as well!

Well here's a shot of the screen up on the wall, i went with silver over white ...

And of course i don't have the lights on when watching movies wink.gif

RedBull1985 likes this.
post #22 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 AM

^^Awesome mate...now do post more pics with content playing.

Regards
RB
post #23 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer View Post

And of course i don't have the lights on when watching movies wink.gif

If you have those forward Cans over the Screen and deep in the Corners set on separate Dimmers I'm bettin' you can. wink.gif

That's a Class act you have going there. But I gotta say I cannot remember any time anyone has posted images in B&W.

Must be a "Scando" thing. biggrin.gif

BTW, are you going to treat the inside surface area of that Shadow Box and the Soffitt Overhang with something decidedly less reflective than White?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #24 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you have those forward Cans over the Screen and deep in the Corners set on separate Dimmers I'm bettin' you can. wink.gif

That's a Class act you have going there. But I gotta say I cannot remember any time anyone has posted images in B&W.

Must be a "Scando" thing. biggrin.gif

BTW, are you going to treat the inside surface area of that Shadow Box and the Soffitt Overhang with something decidedly less reflective than White?

smile.gif
I'm all about black & grey so i guess i could start naming the cinema "Kodak Tri-X" biggrin.gif

The three cans/spots over the screen is on a separate channel in the dimmer so i can have those glow for a while everything else is pitch black.

My plan was not to treat the "shadow box" but it has come to my mind lately that it may be a good idea, even if i'm not especially bothered by the small amount of light hitting the sides. But who knows, maybe it will make a bigger difference than i think!

I would like to thank you and everybody else here for all the great tips i've gotten along the way!

Here's a link to my swedish gallery, which of course is in swedish biggrin.gif But it has some of the building process ...
http://www.minhembio.com/Wildkris
post #25 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer View Post

smile.gif
I'm all about black & grey so i guess i could start naming the cinema "Kodak Tri-X" biggrin.gif

The three cans/spots over the screen is on a separate channel in the dimmer so i can have those glow for a while everything else is pitch black.

My plan was not to treat the "shadow box" but it has come to my mind lately that it may be a good idea, even if i'm not especially bothered by the small amount of light hitting the sides. But who knows, maybe it will make a bigger difference than i think!

I would like to thank you and everybody else here for all the great tips i've gotten along the way!

Here's a link to my swedish gallery, which of course is in swedish biggrin.gif But it has some of the building process ...
http://www.minhembio.com/Wildkris

I like the room too, but was thinking the same thing in regards to the gray box right against the screen.

Looks Good!

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

This Guy is too modest........

Seems apparent because the room's height is low, and the Screen both large and mounted lower to accommodate the Soffitt, the rear seating "Riser" is a "Nose-Bleed" affair.
I have to say that's the tallest Platform I have ever seen....without a step! :eek" Makes me think about the Movie "Vertical Limit". Talk about "Virtual Reality! tongue.gif

Kristofer, will your guests use a Ski Lift and a Bobsled Run to get up & down from that Mountain Top? biggrin.gif

Post a shot of that Riser for everyone to see!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #27 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems apparent because the room's height is low, and the Screen both large and mounted lower to accommodate the Soffitt, the rear seating "Riser" is a "Nose-Bleed" affair.
I have to say that's the tallest Platform I have ever seen....without a step! :eek" Makes me think about the Movie "Vertical Limit". Talk about "Virtual Reality! tongue.gif

Kristofer, will your guests use a Ski Lift and a Bobsled Run to get up & down from that Mountain Top? biggrin.gif

No ya Big Dummy, they are all Swedish Gymnasts!

Geez......some people!

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 30 Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

biggrin.gif:D

Well it's quite high, about 15 inches smile.gif but it works the way i wanted to, everybody can see the whole screen no matter how their chair is set! And since we drink so much homebrew here in cold and dark Sweden, no one cares if they fall down from it smile.gif It's no problem climbing that step, but it would have been kind of cool if i'd recessed (don't know if that is the right word) one step into the riser. Maybe a future project! Any way it'll be ready when you all come to visit biggrin.gif

And here it is!!
post #29 of 30 Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Really nice room. Thanks for sharing what you are doing. I really like that his hobby has brought people from different countries together. I have read quite a bit of your experiences. We are all in this together and sharing is a lot of fun.

Alan in Boise

103 inch AT screen with 9.x playback. IB sub woofer system. Two manifolds with 2 15s and 2 12s. Line array with 2 15s. Running main channels with Minimus 7s. Have front wide and front hight and rear surrounds. Room is perfect size for smaller speakers like the Minimus speakers. Approx. 17x13x8. Tower speakers were taking up to much room.
post #30 of 30 Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Liked: 13
Beautiful room, Kristofer! Thank you for sharing the build with us.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page