Wilsonart Grey or White? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to give the Wilsonart laminate a try on my 110" screen. My kids' dirty hands get attracted to the screen and I like the fact that I can wipe it clean. My man cave basement has very little light intrusion during the day and zero at night. Would I be best to go with Designer White (D354069) or Fashion Grey (D381-60)? I have a new Viewsonic PRO8200.

Also, any recommendations for a low profile ceiling mount?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-17-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 225
WA-DW is not without specific concerns as far as cleaning. Methods and materials that are used to clean laminate countertops and that do a fine job under those circumstances all too often leave the surface of the laminate screen with obvious streaking, and rub marks that are quite visible under projected light.

Also be certain to beware of other issues that occur. WA-DW can hot spot under certain circumstances and positioning of a projector is always an important consideration. Building a proper frame to hold the l laminate sheet is not all that is easy a undertaking... nor really all that inexpensive a proposition. Lastly... the stuff is actually very fragile.

Many of the previously mentioned issues are the reasons behind the fact that the popularity of laminate screens as waned quite a bit.

All that having been said, many have found it to be a very acceptable hang an shoot surface. Until one or more of the aforementioned issues pop up.

Depending upon the size of screen that you're trying to build, and where you live, you might seriously want to consider other options as well. Expanded PVC Board....Do-Able....Melamine Coated Hardboard....even Spandex ( is replaced easily an inexpensively )

Children... especially very young ones that you cannot threaten with dismemberment, can indeed pose quite a problem and risk.

My personal recommendation as far as a laminate surface would be the Fashion Gray.
GreenBaron likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MM: Thanks for your reply. I assume you're referring to Sintra, Gatorfoam and Komatex. Are any acceptable surfaces without paint? If not, what paint would you recommend? Gatorfoam is a no no with my kids since it'll dent too easily. Right now I have a painted (Silver Screen) wall with a frame around it. Works fine until the handprints and dings accumulate. That's why I like the idea of a laminated surface.

Cheers!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page