American movie freak stuck in Asia needs help on first time HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I'm getting a projector as a birthday present because everyone knows I'm like Gollum in a cave when it comes to watching movies - albeit on a 13" laptop. I've been perusing this site obsessively for the past week and am convinced of going the DIY screen route. However, I am working in S. Korea and don't have access to supplies that are commonplace in America. So, before ordering materials and assuming, it seems that I should consult you INSANELY knowledgeable enthusiasts.

My stats:
-Room: 12 width (wall to wall) x 14 length (kitchen facing blacked out window) studio with 8 foot celings covered in reflective white wallpaper over concrete (bleh!). Bed and/or couch can be arranged in any fashion

-Projector: Under $1500 - I like reviews on the MitsHC4000 since I have no rainbow issues, but am open to others.
I have no problem leaving the projector on the ground or on a shelf if necessary.

-Material: 90% 1080p movies, 10% HDTV shows

-Light Control: Completely dark - minus the reflective walls!

Questions:

1. What kind of screen and max size would suite me best given my situation?
Acoustical transparency is not at all a concern - only picture quality (and to some degree, hassle).
If doubled up and unpainted matte silver and white spandex is going to get me 90% of the best painted options, I'm willing to go for it. But, I don't know if that's the case. Painting might be a pain due to accessibility of supplies but I'm not unwilling.

2. What projector will suit me accordingly?

3. Any suggestions in general that can improve my experience?

Please help! Movies are my life and I want that "Holy S#@!" impact for me and my roommates (don't ask...) after setting everything up. Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome btw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Hi....and welcome aboard AVS!

Sorry your Thread got overlooked. We usually don't let one slide / slip down without a response.

PJ? I'd suggest a Epson 8350 "new' or a refurbed 8700. Either will thrash the Mits on every level (IMO) and the additional Brightness will serve you in good stead if a Spandex screen is in your future. The 8700 is the real "Go To" unit for the best use of both Black levels and Brightness. But if you have to "settle" for the 8350, you'd be doing 'awlrite'. And as far as placement adaptability, nothing can touch either Projector's H&V Lens Shift capabilities.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, MM. Unfortunately, I just ordered the Mits already frown.gif In addition, the matte silver and white spandex from spandexworld are on their way. But, no time for regrets. Now that I have a projector and a screen, I have spent more time researching about "your" paint options. Given my situation:

1. In your opinion how much of a PQ increase would I get by upgrading to a painted screen? 10, 20, 30%?

2. Which paint formula would you recommend at a 110" - 120" range?

3. Will painting spandex produce an equally quality outcome vs. other substrates?

4. Do you have any clue if paint can be shipped overseas? I'm working entirely off of online shipments at this point.

Thanks for your attention and help. I've been reading a lot about your comments on this forum and it's great that guys like you take time to do this for us newbies. I haven't even received my projector yet and already I'm worrying about the next best thing! I'm too excited/obsessed to stop thinking of the what ifs.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8shm8 View Post

Thanks, MM. Unfortunately, I just ordered the Mits already frown.gif In addition, the matte silver and white spandex from spandexworld are on their way. But, no time for regrets. Now that I have a projector and a screen, I have spent more time researching about "your" paint options. Given my situation:
1. In your opinion how much of a PQ increase would I get by upgrading to a painted screen? 10, 20, 30%?

A very speculative question. Perhaps as much as 15-20% in all categories.
Quote:
2. Which paint formula would you recommend at a 110" - 120" range?

With the Mits....RS-MaxxMudd LL
Quote:
3. Will painting spandex produce an equally quality outcome vs. other substrates?

No. Furgitabowdit.
Quote:
4. Do you have any clue if paint can be shipped overseas? I'm working entirely off of online shipments at this point.

I do it a lot. And to places people swear that Customs will put out a call to Interpol if such was attempted. It's all about disclosure. (Water based - Non-Flammable - Non-Toxic...all listed on the Custom paperwork.)
But that's me. Most US Mfg of paint won't even consider such. But when it's between us DIY'ers....absewlootlee!
Quote:
Thanks for your attention and help. I've been reading a lot about your comments on this forum and it's great that guys like you take time to do this for us newbies. I haven't even received my projector yet and already I'm worrying about the next best thing! I'm too excited/obsessed to stop thinking of the what ifs.

Glad to have been able to add to your obsessive nature. wink.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quick response! Thanks.

1. Does the RS-MaxxMudd LL formula qualify under "Water based - Non-Flammable - Non-Toxic"?
2. And if spandex is a no go for painting, what the best substrate option (excluding wall painting) considering my location issues (no home depot here)? BOC seems practical, considering I'll have a frame for the spandex within the week. What's your take?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8shm8 View Post

Quick response! Thanks.
1. Does the RS-MaxxMudd LL formula qualify under "Water based - Non-Flammable - Non-Toxic"?

Now where did that come from? Oh yeah ! That's what I wrote above in my last post. wink.gif Yes.....every Mix we advocate falls under those guidelines.
Quote:
2. And if spandex is a no go for painting, what the best substrate option (excluding wall painting) considering my location issues (no home depot here)? BOC seems practical, considering I'll have a frame for the spandex within the week. What's your take?

BOC can work well if stretched very Taunt, and primed 2x / and sanded between coats.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

You said to someone with BOC already stretched/framed that he needed to roll onto it first before spraying.
Is this true even if the BOC is not framed yet, as would be in my case?
If so:
-What rollers would you recommend?
-Where does the rolling end and the spraying begin?... roll the primes and spray the rest?

Sorry, but the last time I painted, it involved the word "finger" biggrin.gif