Screen Tight with Spandex, what exactly do i need? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK! My screen build is a litlle on hold right now as i'm in Nashvile for work (i live in Sweden). But since i'm here i thought i look into the whole Screen Tight thing that seems like a great way to attach the Spandex.

Som exactly what do i need to fasten two layers of Spandex Moleskin on my wooden frame?

I really need a shopping list, as i'm having a hard time seeing exactly what i need. I'm guessing base, splines & cap/cover. But what sizes are you using for the splines? There seems to be different ones ... And are there different sizes for the base?

Do i need the special tool as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM

Liked: 10
You will need the following:

1. Screen Tight x 4 : http://www.lowes.com/pd_21532-958-BASE18_0__?productId=3024709&Ntt=screen+tight&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dscreen%2Btight&facetInfo=

2. Spline x 2: http://www.lowes.com/pd_122520-15369-98016_0__?productId=3110493&Ntt=screen+spline&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dscreen%2Bspline&facetInfo=

3. Spline Roller: http://www.lowes.com/pd_42401-15369-71465_0__?productId=3094501&Ntt=spline+tool&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dspline%2Btool&facetInfo=

It is very straight forward to use. I cut 45's for my corners. I think your screen is a touch bigger than mine so you may need to add in additional section of screen tight channel to get your desired length. Looks like it just comes in 8ft lengths. Just piece it together as if you are building a border. I placed mind so it was 3/4 inch from the outside edge of the frame.

Pull tension on the screen and just start pushing the spline in with your fingers. After I get some in I use the roller to push it in to tightly secure it. Youtube install videos of installing screen door material to get a look at how they do it.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM

I dont know how big of a role spline size plays. The .160 worked well for me though. No cover or cap needed.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer View Post

OK! My screen build is a litlle on hold right now as i'm in Nashvile for work (i live in Sweden). But since i'm here i thought i look into the whole Screen Tight thing that seems like a great way to attach the Spandex.

Nashville eh? You should hunker on over to Memphis and let me give you the $0.50 tour of some DIY Theaters (...and Watering holes...)

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 11 Old 11-20-2012, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Nashville eh? You should hunker on over to Memphis and let me give you the $0.50 tour of some DIY Theaters (...and Watering holes...)

I wish i could! That would have done my entire trip! But it's all work here every day until i fly home on wednesday! But i might take you up on that next time wink.gif
post #6 of 11 Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

You will need the following:
1. Screen Tight x 4 : http://www.lowes.com/pd_21532-958-BASE18_0__?productId=3024709&Ntt=screen+tight&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dscreen%2Btight&facetInfo=
2. Spline x 2: http://www.lowes.com/pd_122520-15369-98016_0__?productId=3110493&Ntt=screen+spline&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dscreen%2Bspline&facetInfo=
3. Spline Roller: http://www.lowes.com/pd_42401-15369-71465_0__?productId=3094501&Ntt=spline+tool&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dspline%2Btool&facetInfo=
It is very straight forward to use. I cut 45's for my corners. I think your screen is a touch bigger than mine so you may need to add in additional section of screen tight channel to get your desired length. Looks like it just comes in 8ft lengths. Just piece it together as if you are building a border. I placed mind so it was 3/4 inch from the outside edge of the frame.
Pull tension on the screen and just start pushing the spline in with your fingers. After I get some in I use the roller to push it in to tightly secure it. Youtube install videos of installing screen door material to get a look at how they do it.

Thanks a million! Now i'll just have to try to get the time to go to the store!
post #7 of 11 Old 11-20-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I guess there should be no problem if i cut them into shorter pieces for easier transportation? I'll still put them tight together on the frame ...
post #8 of 11 Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 PM

Yeah no concerns, just might take a few more screws.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

I dont know how big of a role spline size plays. The .160 worked well for me though. No cover or cap needed.

Once again thanks!! Just got back from Lowes and i bought all you wrote. I guess .160 is ok since the spandex is pretty heavy, and if it worked for you it'll work for me!
I got 5 pieces of the Screen Tight base, 3 pieces of the spline .160 and the tool. So now i just need to decide if i'm to cut em up or package them as they are!
post #10 of 11 Old 11-20-2012, 04:39 PM

Glad I could help. Should just need four screen tight and two packages of 25ft spline. It is cheap enough though so doesnt hurt to have extra.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Well back in cold Sweden! If someone in Nashville has a house and a job i'd move over biggrin.gif Everybody is so nice in the US (well i guess there could be some exceptions!)

Didn't cut up my Screentight base, sent it in a box by a shipping company instead, since i only had carry-on with me to keep up the speed it was more practical that way! So now i just have to wait until it arrives before i can finish my screan. Meanwhile i can sit around and play with the spline i took with me smile.gif

I'll post some images as soon as it arrives!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page