AVS Forum banner

Spandex screen build

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  smokarz 
#1 ·
So im starting my screen build now that ive finally got this far after two weeks......

and I was wondering if anyone has tried using this stuff for the frame? http://www.lowes.com/pd_359740-154-930278_0__?productId=3551992 its seems extremely strong and is very very straight. I also have a idea on how to offset the cross members so the will not touch or show through to the screen but ill get to that later......

See less See more
#2 ·
I used 1x4 poplar with good results. then I did a wrap with black felt to keep the frame from showing through. I did a stretch of the spandex on the felt lined poplar frame. I have not put a black trim around the screen at all. It floats off the wall with no trim frame. It has worked out pretty well. With the lights off you just don't notice there is no frame.

#3 ·
It's the characteristics of it to be "square", super straight and no crowing that has me intrigued. I went to lowes last night and checked through there entire stock of it and could not find one piece that had a flaw in it (I'm sure they do exists nothing is perfect) however it was impressive. I bought it and am going to start assembly right after I finish a couple things. I'm also going to use 3/4" for everything and clamp and glue 1/4" to the outside frame so it offsets the inner supports so that they won't be transposed thru to the screen. Then pass it all the the router table to give it a round edge that will be better to pull they spandex around. I don't think im going with a outside trim either don't really see the point being as the frame set against black surface anyhow.

#4 ·
How are you going to frame the screen? Im making an AT screen with Spandex as well, but I cant figure out how to frame it. i have the triple black velvet, but not sure how to fix it to the screen. Im using bookshelf speakers, not in wall , so the screen will be in front of the wall by about 1 ft.

im also trying to figure out how to mount the whole thing as well.....

#6 ·
I let my screen float in front of a black wall as well the step back I think works better than a black frame in line with the screen.

My frame was made from a ply material also and there are photos of the build in my signature links.

Nice looking project so far.

#7 ·
Looking at the speakers in your OP photos, aren't the listening axis of those speakers going to be way above ear height?

Also, flushed into the wall like that will effect their sound, just so you know. Towers like that have something called a "baffle step" region right around 300hz. In that new wall mounted configuration, you should expect them to sound much more - full / warm - or thick / muddy - depending on if you like the new way they sound. Your receiver eq may take care of it, just giving you the heads up.

#12 ·
yeah i built it, it was a idea to match the firplace im building as well. I know that its not as amazing as what some of you all pull off, cause some of the stuff i see on here blows my mind, but for on a budget and my first time its coming out pretty good i think. anyhow its made from a stone veneer called airstone http://airstone.com/ it was a little tricky to use but once you figure it out it goes up really fast. here are a few build pics

Ive made some more progress since these but I'm holding off on those pics till I finish the screen build which is very close and getting the carpet and furniture in which is this coming monday so not to much longer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.