Spandex options in Canada? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So far, the closest carrier of spandex material seems to be Fabricland -- does anyone have any experience with the "activewear" spandex they carry? It's a 20% spandex / 80% nylon blend... Just not sure how it will stack up against the "tried & true" moleskin matte stuff. I'm trying to avoid outrageous shipping costs while at the same time getting the material ASAP. I have Christmas holidays coming up, and that will be a prime opportunity to get some HT work done...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 212
If you decide to deviate from the "Tried & True", then all you can do is to read the description of the Fabric carefully and hope you make a sound choice.

One way to look at it...if you nail down another good choice from another source, you'll be a Hero in many eyes. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 17 Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I know... *daydreams for a minute* I've always wanted to be a hero... Lol

As much as I want to support local business and contribute something back to the community, it's hard not to go with the tried & true, especially when it's $70 cheaper for the order (assuming I don't get gouged on duty). This is the way I'm leaning right now, and unless someone comes on here in the next 24 hrs and recommends the ActionWear from Fabricland, I think I'm going to cop out and place my order at Spandex World.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I looked into the fabric land stuff, but was like $24/m or something was going to Washington to see family anyways so went to Joanne's Fabric and got similar stuff for $9.99. I can't believe they rip us off like that. Anyways. Based on what I could tell in store, it looked good. The silver was quite dark though. But should work fine. That's coming from someone who didn't actually use it.

To bad you don't have more time. I'm contemplating picking up 2m just to see how it stacks up. But thatll be after Christmas or right during. Not in advance. Good luck.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I live in Canada and I went with Spandex World. You will get gouged with duties, but I don't have regrets knowing I got the right stuff and the picture looks fantastic. BTW, Fabricland is having a sale right now and if you have a membership you should be able to get it at like %50 off. At least, that's what's going on in my hometown. But I'd still go with Spandex World.

post #6 of 17 Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Blastermaster, you get the silver, white, or both?
post #7 of 17 Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

I wasn't sure which way to go, so I got extra silver, as well as white. I tried two layers of just silver, but I found it to not be as bright as I like. I put the white layer as a backer and it was much better. It makes for a great image and now having my speakers at ear level instead of below the screen has made such a difference - it's as if I have a whole new set of speakers.

Tux, I just noticed you're from Ladysmith. Vernon resident here. smile.gif

post #8 of 17 Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys. I hear you on being ripped off, Tux; how sad is it to say that I'm accustomed to this and have come to accept it even though there's really no good reason for it... I think it's actually closer to $28/meter here in Ottawa. Like blastermaster mentioned, there is a membership discount, but it's only 25% off the ActionWear at my local Fabricland rather than 50% and costs $25 for the year. This still equates to savings on 6 meters of material, but it's still $60 more expensive than my cart of spandex at Spandex World, so I'm going that route.

blastermaster: just wondering how much duty you paid on your material? I've never known how that is calculated...
post #9 of 17 Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Depends how it's shipped. You pay duty and tax based on the info on gov.ca and gst+pst. but if shipping with a courier they'll charge a brokerage fee. That's what hurts.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Fed Ex charged me $43. Not happy about it, but even despite that it's still cheaper than buying it here.

post #11 of 17 Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I personally have shipped many items abroad as Personal Pkgs to help fellow DIY'ers around expensive Delivery Couriers and high VAT / Duties.

I always use USPS International Flat Rate. (Large Box = 20lbs for $52.00)

I've shipped "Paint"(water based) to just about every Country you could think of ( EU / Mid East / Africa / SE Asia / Asia / ...even Uzbekistan ) ....some who have Draconian Custom Depts, and nothing has ever been refused or levied with crazy Duties.(...gotta relate though....Denmark Customs was soooooooo slow! ) And no one from Interpol has shown up to take me away......yet. eek.gif So A couple bolts of Spandex should present no issues.

Of course one has to either ask for such help, or have it be pro-offered to them to take advantage, but such is how DIY'ers can sometimes help others whose location is not conductive to easy access to many things the rest of us take for granted. T'was a time early last decade that such was common practice.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #12 of 17 Old 12-02-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

@blastermaster: wow!! I was thinking it shouldn't be more than $20... you weren't kidding, I will get gouged lol. But like you said, still cheaper than here in Canada rolleyes.gif

@MississippiMan: That's incredibly nice of you -- a service I would assume that a very small percentage of people here (or anywhere) would ever consider offering a complete stranger -- kudos to you! That said, it looks like I missed the boat since I have already paid for my order at SW to have it Standard Shipped frown.gif Maybe next time?
post #13 of 17 Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I lied, after blastermaster's endorsment I picked up some of the silver from fabricland. Just hung it over one layer of white from Joanne's with pins. Yes, it's very good. My mind is blown. It doesn't have the hyper whites of two layers of white from Joanne's, but better gradation and the whites are just fine. I'm using a pro8200 with light to spare, so if you're lumen shy, maybe two fabric land whites would be better.

I plan to fully document the AT properties of it in a while. I'm developing an in-wall speaker for diysoundgroup.com for this purpose exactly. So I'll have pretty detailed measurements of with and without the fabric land stuff. If you're interested.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads-ups, Tux. I purchased Moleskin Matte from SW and it should be on its way soon, but I am still interested; I have a feeling that once some of my friends see my setup, they will want a badass home theatre setup of their own and, based on your reports, I could recommend the Fabricland material to them rather than importing... Thanks!
post #15 of 17 Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, I see. Well, like you indicate, hopefully someone else can benefit from it.

I forgot to mention, Fabricland sold it to me in 0.1m increments. That helps save a bit of $. I only bought 1 layer and my screen is a mere 92", so I bought 1.7m for under $50. Not bad, but definitely cheaper if buying 2 large layers to go to SW.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-22-2012, 08:03 PM

Liked: 10
Hmm , i'm in this same boat , very excited about the spandex material as i'm going for a larger screen and there wasn't ever really an option for this in the DIY side other than painting the wall. Unfortunately i'm on a very tight budget to build this thing and that shipping + duty will hurt. I'm curious about the material you used Tuxedo. I may have to go to fabricland and grab some, were you able to get the AT properties?
post #17 of 17 Old 12-23-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup I was. On my phone so can't post graphs. Was going to start a thread. But will later. For now see the second graph in reply #8 here: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=127.msg1551#new

That with a white layer of Joanne's and a silver layer of Fabricland. Fabricland has both white and silver. If not, they're just out. Ask about it.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page