DIY Screen for LG PA70G - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to make a screen for my recently purchased LG PA70G, which should be arriving in the next few days. I'm looking to build a portable screen for under $100. There are a few windows in the room but ambient light should be fairly easy to control.

I'm going to set it up in a 13' by 14' room, probably on a shelf or tripod. I was thinking it should be about 12' from the wall for a 120" screen. Based on that I was hoping to get some decent material with a gain of about 1.3. My only concern here would be restrictive viewing angles. If the viewing angles would be a problem with a gain of 1.3 I could drop it down to a 110" screen with a gain of 1 and a throw distance of closer to 11'.

Can anybody recommend any specific material for either setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 02:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
nlhaines,

Welcome onto AVS's DIY Screen Forum!

The Key word here is "Portable" and if it's gonna be a Fixed Screen, 110" is a "best choice".

Going with Fabric, the only sensible choice would be a Silver over white Spandex owning to the fact that with the rigidity of the frame needing to be less than when using Black Out Cloth, it would serve you best as far as being much lighter.

The LG needs Contrast boosting, hence the Silver recommendation.

You won't find a 1.3 gain material that is "cloth-like" in nature outside of a Mfg "High Power" material that will all by itself cost well over $100.00 and also require a stout frame.

This need for "portability"...can you elaborate on that? Also, can you disclose your location (City & State)
nlhaines likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks MM...

I don't really need it to be all that portable, but I may move overseas in 8 months or so, so I'd like something that I can take with me.

Are you sure I need contrast boosting? This projector supposedly has a 15,000:1 contrast ratio. I suppose if I have white/grey spandex I can always reverse the order and test it with white.

I was planning to build a PVC frame and tighten the fabric with grommets and string. Can the spandex material hold grommets? Is there any way to get a gain of 1.2-1.3 on my budget?

Thanks.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlhaines View Post

Thanks MM...
I don't really need it to be all that portable, but I may move overseas in 8 months or so, so I'd like something that I can take with me.
Are you sure I need contrast boosting? This projector supposedly has a 15,000:1 contrast ratio. I suppose if I have white/grey spandex I can always reverse the order and test it with white.

15K:1 ain't bad, but using something that will give you the perceptopn of 3x+ that contrast is a lot better. Even 50K:1 / 100K:1 PJs can always use some assistance in "maintaining" optimal contrast
Quote:
I was planning to build a PVC frame and tighten the fabric with grommets and string. Can the spandex material hold grommets? Is there any way to get a gain of 1.2-1.3 on my budget?
Thanks.

Examine the "Screen Tight" system many adopters of Spandex are using. It works the same with Spandex as it does when your re-screening a Screen window. And when / if you move across the Pond, you can simply build a replacement frame there. A big plus is not worrying if you can get a Grommet in Spandex without the stretch distorting or/and the Grommet tearing loose.

I'd ditch that idea and look strongly at the "Screen Tight".
nlhaines likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking instead of going the spandex/screen tight route, I might stick with the PVC/Grommet idea if I can find a good/sturdy screen material that will hold grommets. The problem I have with the spandex is that I'd have to build another frame. If I'm headed overseas I probably wont want to screw around with tracking down the materials for another frame.

What are the screen material alternatives to spandex? I've seen some options on eBay, but I'm not sure how reputable the vendors are.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I don't know if you have a electronics store near you called Micro Center.
I recently bought a 100 " screen from them for only $ 65
I went the blackout cloth route before and in the past must have spent about $ 80 on blackout cloth material.
So I finally broke down and bought a real screen this time around.
nlhaines likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

I do have a few Micro Centers in my area. They aren't easy to get to, but it would be possible. Are the in-store deals often different from what they have online?
post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

I don't know if you have a electronics store near you called Micro Center.
I recently bought a 100 " screen from them for only $ 65

Could you please provide a link or description. I am moving back to MD soon and cannot take my DIY screen with me. I would like to replace it and I have a MC in Rockville.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any updates on this? I recently purchased the pa70g and was looking forward to see how this turned out. What would be the best solution for this PJ in high ambient light MM?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegetter View Post

Any updates on this? I recently purchased the pa70g and was looking forward to see how this turned out. What would be the best solution for this PJ in high ambient light MM?

PJ placed at as short a throw to accommodate as small a screen as possible that uses Silver Fire v2.5 3.0

The term "High Ambient" can be a scary, thought provoking phrase.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page