Spraying Spandex for added Gain - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 08-16-2014, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How did this end up? This is like watching an anime based on a manga but it wasn't popular so there's a cliffhanger.

This would be a neat way to get over 1.5 gain and spend about a third of a flexiwhite. I like the idea of AT but hate the 0.9 gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 08-17-2014, 06:47 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 283
It appears that mjovic's last post in this thread was his last post on AVS as well.

It was the very end of December. I hope he didn't catch pneumonia after he wet himself laughing.

More likely his effort met with success and he's taken root like Groot in front of his big screen.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #33 of 39 Old 08-18-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
It appears that mjovic's last post in this thread was his last post on AVS as well.

It was the very end of December. I hope he didn't catch pneumonia after he wet himself laughing.

More likely his effort met with success and he's taken root like Groot in front of his big screen.
I hope he is too. But it's too bad he couldn't have given an
impressions of how much it improved.

My problem with spandex is gain. How much will covering the fibers add? You think at least 1.5 gain?
post #34 of 39 Old 08-18-2014, 07:08 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
I hope he is too. But it's too bad he couldn't have given an
impressions of how much it improved.

My problem with spandex is gain. How much will covering the fibers add? You think at least 1.5 gain?
Not likely. There exists already Spandex with a Shiny, or Glossy surface, in White or Silver. All the isues one experiences witha Solid surface with those same properties manifest themselves with Spandex as well.

At best one might hope for a modest gain up to 1.1 or 1.2 using a Metallic Silver or Pearl or a Combo of both.

That would be all because the AT properties themselves would be affected adversely if enough coating was applied to return more light due to an increase in the actual reflective surface.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #35 of 39 Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
MM,
I just built a 110" blackout fabric screen (from Joann), using the smooth (light blocking side) facing the PJ ... the fabric is much more AT than I expected.

So for getting more gain from Spandex, I'm curious... what about taking the blackout fabric, or any thin smooth AT fabric, and spraying a very thin layer of silver/pearl then placing it behind a single the Spandex layer? Similar to a mylar layer behind a black screen - except not as extreme and still better for AT.

On the flip-side, I'm not sure that is any better than just using the blackout material itself, or taking the blackout material and spraying the fabric-side (non-smooth side) with a silver/pearl.

Wonder how either would perform?

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #36 of 39 Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

First off, BOC might let some fair degree of sound pass, but nothing that would be construed as being accurate.

I would lose that idea.

If one wanted to experiment, then using a glossy White or Silver Moleskin for the Rear layer would be far more preferable than and semi solid cloth. Moleskin has lost favor with those critical listeners...not so much that it actually sounds bad, or even noticeably different than Milliskin. But it is a denser spandex, and more density means more reflectivity.

One thing is positively certain...2 layers of White Moleskin (... or 1 white / silver...) would be far more "AT" than a single layer of BOC.

I would try White Moleskin over a Silver Milliskin or Moleskin.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #37 of 39 Old 08-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
MM,
How much light passes through the White or Silver Milliskin? If it is AT, something must pass, I'd guess. The OP wants to increase the gain, so the balance is how much AT vs how much light transparency the material is... where is that balance - for each person it may be different. I wonder if layer(s) of speaker grill material sprayed silver, then black behind would provide a reflective layer (to bounce to the White Milliskin) and a black layer to stop light... while retaining better AT?

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #38 of 39 Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Tests have shown that a dual Layer of Milliskin is almost exactly the same as a Reference Speaker being measured directly without any cloth between it and the Mic.

You will note that even 2 combined Layers of Milliskin are extremely close to "reference".

Now here is the same chart with Moleskin:

The big difference you see is the "Doubling" of Moleskin (green) . If one suppositions that a under layment of White Moleskin, being less absorptive, is faced with Miliskin, which itself is almost transparent acoustically speaking, the one would get maximum returned light yet have the minimum amount of frequency attenuation possible.

Keep this in mind....most Speaker Grill Cloth is hardly better than, if equal to most AT Screen material, and Spandex is equal to or surpasses most Mfg AT material.

To all this comes a stated belief by some that using a Black background with Milliskin White provides the best possible image. So....it such is true, the a Black Moleskin rear layer in direct contact with the rear of a White Milliskin might indeed be a best-case scenario.

Personally, I'd vote for a White or Light Silver Moleskin rear layer.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #39 of 39 Old 08-18-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Not likely. There exists already Spandex with a Shiny, or Glossy surface, in White or Silver. All the isues one experiences witha Solid surface with those same properties manifest themselves with Spandex as well.

At best one might hope for a modest gain up to 1.1 or 1.2 using a Metallic Silver or Pearl or a Combo of both.

That would be all because the AT properties themselves would be affected adversely if enough coating was applied to return more light due to an increase in the actual reflective surface.
How would this compare to a pure white Glidden 450 or Behr 4850? Are there any downsides? Besides a slightly smaller screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page