Need a quick temporary screen that I won't have to stretch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Here's my situation - I'm going to pick up a new projector just in time for a party for my child. I need time to figure out which screen to get for the long term, so I'm looking for a simple quick solution for the party.

I have a huge white wall, but the darn thing has some marks in it that won't allow me to use it as a screen.

What I'm looking for is something that I can throw up on the wall (pin, temp hang, tape, etc...) that will look good enough for this use (and maybe a few more times after that smile.gif ) Needs to be fairly light weight obviously.

I've seen the threads on spandex and black-out material, but not sure they would work without building a frame (which I could only do if it was very very light. Afraid if I didn't do that the wrinkles would kill it.

Probably need to pick it up local since the party is this weekend. Projector will either be an 8350 or AR100u.

Thanks a million for the help and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Where is

"Local"?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Just use the wall. The kids will be amazed enough that they wont care about a couple marks. Bust out the rag, some elbow grease, or even a magic eraser. Why waste money for a one time thing. Plan out your permanent screen and do it right.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I used a white bed sheet for about 6 months and it was a pretty good screen. tack it to a stick top and bottom no frame required and hang on the wall. The bottom stick will be a weight to pull it down.

Bud

post #5 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

MississippiMan: Local is California. And I guess the reality is that I could order from Amazon with 2 day shipping if it was something that made sense.

Duke: Your point about the wall is a good one. Only reason I hesitate is there is one fairly large mark/hole where a damn nail messed up the wall and a picture now hangs. It's a 4-5" dark circle that would really stand out.

I'm realizing that the other reason I'm hoping for a decent solution is so my wife will love how good it looks the next night when we watch batman and won't mind the purchase. wink.gif

How would the quality of a white sheet compare to black-out fabric or spandex? The sheet is an interesting option. From what I remember it would probably be $20-40 at TJ Maxx.

If something pans out, I'm crazy enough to grab some black fabric tape and add a border, even for something so temp like this. Want the friends to love it.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
A 3" to 5" area is easy to fix quickly enough with 2 quick coats of Mud and some sanding, and if you take the advice below to breast, it will become wholly invisible.

ok...the easiest thing to do that would give everything a better look would be to mask off the perimeter of the screen as the PJ projects, then Lightly sand the inside of the tapedarea using a Large Sanding Sponge. Wipe clean, and apply at least 2 coats of Kikz-2 or Bulls Eye 123 Primer, lightly sand, then a 3rd coat.

Get some 3.25" MDF Base, cut it to size (can you Miter?) and paint that trim "Disney Mouse Ears" Black in a low sheen Flat Interior Enamel.

This choice sets you up for finishing off later with something truly special, or simply applying a Finish Coat of a standard but applicable paint.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #7 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

ok...the easiest thing to do that would give everything a better look would be to mask off the perimeter of the screen as the PJ projects, then Lightly sand the inside of the tapedarea using a Large Sanding Sponge. Wipe clean, and apply at least 2 coats of Kikz-2 or Bulls Eye 123 Primer, lightly sand, then a 3rd coat.
Get some 3.25" MDF Base, cut it to size (can you Miter?) and paint that trim "Disney Mouse Ears" Black in a low sheen Flat Interior Enamel.
This choice sets you up for finishing off later with something truly special, or simply applying a Finish Coat of a standard but applicable paint.

Ha! I've read that 3 times and I can't figure out whether you're being sarcastic, replying to the wrong thread, or being serious. The "Disney Mouse Ears" black is what's throwing me. I'm laughing either way. biggrin.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 AM

The mouse ears is a paint that as far as blacks go is the blackest of the blacks.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

The mouse ears is a paint that as far as blacks go is the blackest of the blacks.

Yeah, I figured. It was just when I couldn't make sense of the rest of it, I thought it might be a funny reference to my kids birthday party.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Yeah that is just plain Goofy.......smile.gif
post #11 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

Yeah that is just plain Goofy.......smile.gif

I know, right? :-) It's like I'm from Pluto. tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lands View Post

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
MississippiMan: Local is California. And I guess the reality is that I could order from Amazon with 2 day shipping if it was something that made sense.
Duke: Your point about the wall is a good one. Only reason I hesitate is there is one fairly large mark/hole where a damn nail messed up the wall and a picture now hangs. It's a 4-5" dark circle that would really stand out.
I'm realizing that the other reason I'm hoping for a decent solution is so my wife will love how good it looks the next night when we watch batman and won't mind the purchase. wink.gif
How would the quality of a white sheet compare to black-out fabric or spandex? The sheet is an interesting option. From what I remember it would probably be $20-40 at TJ Maxx.
If something pans out, I'm crazy enough to grab some black fabric tape and add a border, even for something so temp like this. Want the friends to love it.
Thanks again.

I'm guessing the above in bold isn't easy to answer, but wondering if anyone has thoughts before I head out and buy something.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Black out fabric isn't very expensive. I'd go that rather than a sheet, especially since sheets are thinner and might show anything behind them more.

I've done really ghetto screen installs with Blackout cloth pinned to the wall. Worked fine for me but I used a lot of pins to stretch out the wrinkles.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Get the blackout cloth and cut to roughly your screen size. Get some black duct tape to run around the outside of the screen to provide a border. Place it up on your wall and tack in place with tacks or a staple gun. cheap, quick and easy.

Home Theater is GREAT
post #14 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Cool. I'm going to go to Joann's now an look at the fabric. Do they have multiple types to consider, or will it be easy for me?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page