Material choices for types of DIY Screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys,

I have read most of the posts in this forum and was hoping to get an idea of the screen choices that can be bought, I was looking around at sintra board but i was curious if anyone is using anything that can be bought from somewhere local like Lowes or Home Depot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothjm View Post

Hey guys,
I have read most of the posts in this forum and was hoping to get an idea of the screen choices that can be bought, I was looking around at sintra board but i was curious if anyone is using anything that can be bought from somewhere local like Lowes or Home Depot.

I assume you are referring to a substrate you can paint. I so, there are several options.

White hardboard is one. A hardboard about 1/8" thick, 4'x8', with a glossy white (melamine I think) surface on one side. At Home Depot is is known as "thrifty white hardboard". It can be painted without any preparation. You can screw it directly to a wall (if you are going to mask OVER it), you can glue it to a frame or a larger sheet of MDF, and screw either of those to the wall. I think you can even glue it directly to the wall. Cost is less than $20.

Drywall (sheetrock) is another option, although that requires some preparation of the surface before you paint it.

Just some examples.

Sintra may be available locally as well. If you have any local sign companies, check with them. They almost certainly have access to it, and will be able to cut it to the EXACT dimensions you want.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How big do you need? That will determine which material options are available to you.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Sintra may be available locally as well. If you have any local sign companies, check with them. They almost certainly have access to it, and will be able to cut it to the EXACT dimensions you want.

^This. My friend owns a sign company and I inquired about Sintra and other substrates. They can pretty much get you what you want and, yes, it will be EXACT. smile.gif