116" Spandex Screen Build. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
FFE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I said I would start a build thread once I get my Projector. Well this weekend I picked up a epson 8350 and got it set up. My son wanted to watch Cars so I decided to grab picture similar to another post one here.

The following image is a 11'4" throw distance. Currently at 77" diagonal. This is a just a Black out cloth screen, no paint, boarder removed.

First impression of the Epson 8350 is I'm freaking giddy over the image. Granted I upgraded from a NEC 1035+ So I assume that like going from a Reliant Robin to BMW M3. Even with light on full the picture is still rather crisp even on eco.

Currently I have 1x4 poplar sitting in the room waiting for my Spandex to get here. I have ordered the mole skin silver matte and mole skin white matte from Spandex world.

Hopefully over the next weeks I'll have pictures of the screen framing and material stretched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 PM

Liked: 11
That Candy red looks so darn good!

If you need to contact me my email is my username at Gmail.

Heatware
post #3 of 16 Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
FFE

Well just got a call from Spandex world and they don't have a 3yds of the Matte Silver instead I'm getting a piece of 2 yards and a piece of 2.5 yards. I'm thinking the 2.5 piece should be enough to stretch. Hoping I get my shipment by the end of the week smile.gif.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I ordered 3 yrs of Silver "Millskin" w/no issues. I wanted the lighter hued Silver myself.

Spandexhouse.com is another source. And they have a Double faced 2-way Strech "White / Gunmetal Gray' offering that looks very promising for the "I gotta have a White Screen " crowd.
http://www.spandexhouse.com/products.php?navId=282&navName=Double%20Face

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 16 Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFE View Post

Well just got a call from Spandex world and they don't have a 3yds of the Matte Silver instead I'm getting a piece of 2 yards and a piece of 2.5 yards. I'm thinking the 2.5 piece should be enough to stretch. Hoping I get my shipment by the end of the week smile.gif.

What aspect ratio screen are you building? I did a 120" diagonal 2.35:1 screen with two yards of the moleskin matte silver over white and I was able to stretch it but it was tight. You should be OK with 2.5 yds.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
FFE

Looking to do a 110-116, I need to get an actuate measurement from the projector to screen before I make the call on the screen size, as I'm looking to max out the image size smile.gif. But from your example I should have no issues stretching it.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
FFE

Welp I got around to measured, and had a mis-calculation, I thought my basement was 13 ft wide, but instead its 12.5 ft. And the Projector is sitting around 10ft 9in away. So my max is 110" screen, oh well, still huge compared to what I had smile.gif.

I have started cutting wood and will hopefully have a frame finished up tonight.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 PM

FFE - Are you thinking gray over white or reverse? I also just got the 8350 and have been watching it on BOC. I have the spandex and will hopefully be finishing my 110" spandex sceen on Thursday. From all the research in these threads, I am thinking gray over white.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
FFE

I'm planning grey over white right now. The grey should only help the black levels, I did contemplate using a black backer as at the distance I'm shooting, the 8350 should have more than enough lumens to overcome.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
FFE

As of right now the Screen has been stretched and hung. Only a few minor items to address, 1st will be leveling the screen, currently I'm 1/2 in off from the right to left side. After leveling is done I'll move on to adding a mdf base board wrapped in velvet.

Also I going to place the BOC up against this screen and take pictures.
Frame

Lights ON

Lights Off
post #11 of 16 Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Looks sharp. The lights on photo, is that full on or dimmed. I have eight 4 inch cans for my theater lighting. I have the baffle trims but think I need to change the baffle to gimbles or something for the 2 lights closest to the screen.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
FFE

Its a single light fixture int the middle of the room/throw. It this light is capable of dimming but I have it on full, just to demonstrate the image.

Personally I don't know if there is a time I'll have the light on full while watching. At most I'll have it at 50% setting.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFE View Post

As of right now the Screen has been stretched and hung. Only a few minor items to address, 1st will be leveling the screen, currently I'm 1/2 in off from the right to left side. After leveling is done I'll move on to adding a mdf base board wrapped in velvet.
Also I going to place the BOC up against this screen and take pictures.
Frame

Lights ON

Lights Off

Is that your center speaker above the screen, and if so, how well does the sound come back down to the center. I'm looking for new ideas without using at fabric.

Thanks

infocus 4805, mitsubishi hd1000, optoma hd 20 for one month, and now epson 8500ub
post #14 of 16 Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
FFE

This project started out as a budget projector so its Vizio sound bar. At the time of the original throw together I wasn't to worried about staging of the speaker. I decided I was better off upgrading the PJ first. On that note this is the next item on the list to take care of, and will eventually pick up a receiver and speakers. At that time the center stage will move below the screen or behind the screen depending on size a speaker. smile.gif

I have thought about moving the sound bar to the bottom just haven't decided if its work messing with.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-22-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Keep the Speaker high, angled down and directed at the seating, as that would be preferred to Low, especially as low as it would have to be in your case.

You mentioned a few posts back you were going with "the Gray". Did you really mean one of the Silvers?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #16 of 16 Old 12-22-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
FFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Keep the Speaker high, angled down and directed at the seating, as that would be preferred to Low, especially as low as it would have to be in your case.
You mentioned a few posts back you were going with "the Gray". Did you really mean one of the Silvers?

-- I'll give that a shot. Should be easy enough to angle it down.

-- As for the Spandex, yes it is Moleskin Matte Silver.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page