Combining projects - attaching DIY frame to DIY screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Using two separate projects that I found on the web, I am currently finishing up step one: wrapping fabric around a custom screen:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/865218/wrapping-black-velvet-on-trim-with-mitered-or-butt-joined-ends

So I now have a 110" frame just about ready to go. I found another DIY article on making the screen myself using metal studs with furring strips attached, and you stretch blackout cloth over that and staple it to the furring strips along the edges. I can't find it right now, but that was the gist.

Here is the screen I plan on making:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Home-Theater-Screen-in-10-Steps/?ALLSTEPS
-Of course I will be not be following these exact directions, just making the frame and stretching blackout cloth on top of it. No padding or any of that other stuff.

My problem is that I will have a screen that I will hang on the wall easily enough, but I can't figure out how to attach my fabric covered frame on top of the screen? Before the screen is ready (it may take a few weeks for materials) I plan on just hanging the frame on the wall using industrial strength Velcro. Once the screen is hung I need a solution to attach the frame to it.

My thought is some sort of C shaped bracket that can screw to the wall and also the frame. I am sure there are a few ways this could work (cleat hanger system maybe) but I am trying to find the best/easiest solution.

Thanks!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page