DIY Painted Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in need of advice on painting a DIY screen. I've been lurking on this section for a couple weeks now and have read the FAQs.

So for some specifics on the space: It's loft style. Exposed brick walls, high ceilings (16'), store front style entrance right near the viewing area. The windows are north facing so there isn't any direct sunlight coming in but light control is obviously difficult at best.

JVC DLA-HD250
Shooting for approx 130" Screen size - Obviously not locked into that yet.
Approx 13' throw distance.
Ambient light is an issue during the day as the pictures below will demonstrate. Will be mostly night time viewing.

The wall is currently flat white so it's essentially primed. There are a couple of minor defects in the wall that need to be fixed so I was going to do that first while I source the paints to mix.

So I need to figure out whether to go down the Maxx Mud or SIlver Fire paths and which gain is appropriate.

This one is at night:

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
If you do plan to watch content without any real degree of light coming in that "Texas-sized" Door / Window, then RS-MaxxMudd with a 120" diagonal /13' Throw is a decent match-up.

But just barely so, because 12 foot lambert would be a level of reflectance acceptable ONLY in a darkened room.

A larger Screen size would demand S-I-L-V-E-R, and a very meticulous effort at obtaining a ultra smooth finish.

Because pf the 250's low lumen output, Silver Fire apps are not going to work unless you sacrifice and reduce your Screen size below 120" diagonal, and personally I am loath to ever suggest that of anyone.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm going down the suggested 120" RS-MaxxMudd route and I'm about to order the paint I can't find locally.

I'm wondering how much of the paint mix i need to make. I plan on spraying which i believe is strongly recommended for this application. How many coats will i need to paint and how much mix? If i have extra mix made, will it keep long in a sealed can or will it have to be tossed?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMHouston View Post

So I'm going down the suggested 120" RS-MaxxMudd route and I'm about to order the paint I can't find locally.
I'm wondering how much of the paint mix i need to make. I plan on spraying which i believe is strongly recommended for this application. How many coats will i need to paint and how much mix? If i have extra mix made, will it keep long in a sealed can or will it have to be tossed?

Make the specified amount of Mix by using the specified component amounts. You will need approx 85% of that to complete your screen

The balance can be stored in a tightly closed contained (preferably Plastic or Glass due to the high water content) indefinitely at temps above freezing, with only judicious re-stirring required if separation occurs.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Any value to renting a professional paint sprayer from Home Depot rather than buying a cheap one?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page