So, I bought "high contrast gray" screen material from Carl's Place - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Edit: Carl refunded me entirely including my shipping... He claims I just got a bad piece that was coated differently than the rest or maybe was defective because it was at the end of a roll or something.

On his Ebay store... I bought it in November, hadn't had a chance to install my screen until now. I'm extremely disappointed. Hell... this stuff sucks.

I'm sitting at the same distance as the projector is from the screen and I can see shiny specks all over the entire screen... it's like a patterns of it imposed on the picture. I feel like I'm watching the fabric (or maybe the paint) on this screen, and not the show... I can't even pay attention to the show it is so bad. The only good thing about this screen material is that it does a somewhat OK job of absorbing the ambient light, and I'm no longer blinded by the image like I was when I tried it on my white wall.

I have an Optoma HD20 if it matters... and it is mounted somewhere between 9' and 10' from the screen. Screen size is just over 80" diag.

The picture looked better on my white wall, except for not having any black levels and it being so bright I'd have to wear sunglasses to watch.

I'm quite annoyed actually... because it was $60 after shipping... plus I spent another $30 or so on materials at the hardware store for the project. (I made it so I could roll it up and put it on top of a huge bookshelf that's mounted against my wall.)

For this price I could have gotten an Elite Screens manual... for less after all I spent at the hardware store also.

Since I'm a complete noob when it comes to projector screens... I'd just like to know if this is common with cheap screens... or if I'm safe with pretty much any other grey screen besides whatever crap Carl sent me... I'm not that picky... It's just I doubt a white screen will work well in this room with all white walls.
But... I might just end up buying a matte white Elite Screen if this is the quality I'm going to get after going through all the trouble of making my own screen.

If anyone knows this Carl guy, he should stop advertising this material "for HDTV", because it's not even good enough for SD. I hope I can get at least some of my money back, even though the top part of the screen material has staples in it, and the bottom has a strip of velcro on it. I was really looking forward to finally getting to enjoy my projector this weekend too... guess that's not happening now though. frown.gif

Edit: Carl refunded me entirely including my shipping... He claims I just got a bad piece that was coated differently than the rest or maybe was defective because it was at the end of a roll or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

If I go with Spandex/Moleskin... which kind should I get exactly? I'm thinking this material I got is OK gain wise, but maybe something that won't be too dim when my bulb wears in a bit more - Optoma HD20 at 9-10'.

Also, if I use spandex/moleskin, and I roll it up... I'm assuming I can easily get any wrinkles out by just stretching it real good? Also, do I need to worry about having a black backing or anything? I'd be hanging it in font of a bookcase and then stretching it tight... I guess I'd attach it to the bottom of the bookcase with some tacks when I have it "rolled out", to keep it tight/taunt.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Well first off, you do not do anyone any favors by posting links to a Ebay Seller of Screen material on this DIY Forum whose purpose is to make effective screens form materials "NOT" specifically intended for use "AS screen material /s".

Secondly, do not attempt to go forward with any Spandex application until you have thoroughly reviewed the pertinent threads. Pointing it out as nicely as possible, you recent miscue could have been easily enough avoided if you would only have checked in and asked specific questions and made some requests for advice. There are a lot of opportunistic sellers of poorly developed Screen paints / materials who are ready to prey on anxious and unknowing DIY'ers. And a few Screen Mfg as well. rolleyes.gif

You can be certain we empathize with your disappointment and chagrin, so don't take this as any sort of attempt to berate (...more a bereavement actually...) as much as it is a Call to Arms.

At 80" diagonal, selecting the right Spandex won't be hard, (Silver moleskin w/White spandex backing) but if your looking to have a retractable screen (...as it seems you might ..."roll it up?...) then you probably need to reconsider. You can always apply a good coating to a inexpensive mfg Retractable...and that my friend "DOES" qualify as DIY'in around these yar parts.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'd just like to say Carl ended up refunding me and has offered to ship me something new to try later. He claims that I'm the only person who had the issues with the "sparkles". So maybe it was not coated the same as the others or was at the end of a roll or something.

So I'm pretty happy with their customer service at least!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by damag0r View Post

Well I'd just like to say Carl ended up refunding me and has offered to ship me something new to try later. He claims that I'm the only person who had the issues with the "sparkles". So maybe it was not coated the same as the others or was at the end of a roll or something.

So I'm pretty happy with their customer service at least!

Well that sounds good.

Checking On Carl's Place, I found far more people are happy than not with what they got.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I noticed he had nothing but good feedback which is why I decided to try the material he was selling without testing a sample.

I will say this... it seemed fine except for the weird tiny little sparkly hotspots everywhere. It also didn't stink and outgas like most PVC screens will. There was no awful odor from it at all.

I ended up getting an electric Focupix "high contrast gray" screen from HTDepot... and while I'm fairly satisfied, it does have a small crinkle in one spot near the bottom that won't go away and the smell it gives off is almost unbearable. I wish I had just gotten a "good" piece of the stuff from Carl's. Would have been cheaper and I'd not have to live with this smell for weeks until it dissipates.

I asked Carl to send me a sample of the next grey screen materials he'll be getting in within a couple of months... if they lack the sparkles and look good otherwise I'll report back here how they are. However, I think I'm going to stick with this Focupix electric screen unless that crinkle ends up getting worse or the smell never dissipates enough.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same issue with my current screen. I never complained as I got the material so cheap.

That being said, Im building a spandex screen now as I got a new PJ that supports that material!

Glad it worked out for you with a new screen.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page