Help selecting paint mix sony hw50es - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am going back and forth right now trying to decide if I should save up for a dnp or black diamond, or do a DIY screen. I plan to go 106-110 inches 16:9. I am very impressed with the bd screen but that is a lot of money.

First some info

1. Projector will be ceiling mounted roughly 12-13 ft front screen (this is as far as I can go). So my throw ratio will be 1.4-1.6. I have chief rpau with a 12 inch drop pole.

2. The room is not light controlled. It's an open "game room" upstairs directly to the left...no door. During the day I measures 3fl with the blinds closed..however they leak a good amount of light. However I ordered some blackout shades which I believe will drop the fl readings.

3. Room is painted a very dark gray flat paint (almost black) but carpet is a lighter color and the ceiling cannot be painted. It is an off white. Ceiling is 9ft.

4. The projector will be calibrated eventually according to reviews it will calibrate at 1000 lumens at mid zoom. In Eco mode it drops down to 650.

So if I were to go diy on the screen what would you guys suggest. And one last thing. I do have a hvlp sprayer and have used it many times over the years....so if the paint needs to be sprayed it should not be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Somebody take care of my light work here....pleeeease. wink.gif

Nobody?

OK....,

What is it that you like most about the DNP or BD, and feel is most important considering the pains you are willing to take to mitigate what ambient light you will have present?

Any 3D in your plans?

Multiple rows of seating? Or just one row?

Can you mount "closer"? (11')

A few answers to the above and you'll have your answer forthwith.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 8 Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

I have not seen the dnp but hear it's much like the bd but better.

What I like about the bd. it looked great with ambient light in the demo I saw in person. I had them bring the light on to around the same amount as my room and it looked great compared to other screens they had. I also loved the deep blacks. The firehawk they had also looked great but not as nice as the bd.

3d, I would say on rare occasions yes but only at night time. Personally I am not a huge fan of 3d so it's not a huge concern.

There is no raised seating, just a standard sofa

Yes I could mount closer, I just figured it would be best to go 12 to 13 for throw ratio and eliminate hot spotting. Also this gives me the option to go with 120inch if I later decide I need bigger.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

One more thing I like about the bd or dnp....they are suppose to reduce reflection which I am assuming will help me since I am stuck with a white ceiling.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Do you need any more information MM? Looking forward to your reply!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

When you do go to a larger screen, one that produces all the more wider a light source, then the reflections off the ceiling (...and the reduction thereof...) will become all the more important.

DIY paint coatings can offer up just as much retro-reflective properties as a BD Screen. The truth is, it's just not pursued much because most of us feel that the caveats that acco0mpany such screens outweigh the benefits. Graininess....loss of viewing cone (reduction of off-center brightness) are things many like to point a finger at DIY Screens for possessing, calling such detrimental...or outright "Bad".

This is because DIY Screens can in fact be so "Good" that anything that is "less than good" that is added into the equation gets all the negative press.

However, to counter that point, it's obvious that there are many who are willing to accept such things as being necessary because the supposed caveats are actually "solutions" to prevailing issues many must deal with, such a highly reflective walls and ceilings in very close proximity to the screen.

If you want a high gain Gray DIY Solution that will get you well into BD territory, look at these images.

A SF v2.5 HG -6.0 sample laid directly against a SF v2.1 -3.0

The Screen is being inundated by 2 100 watt Floods positioned directly overhead.

Obviously, it can be done. But there is a appreciable loss of brightness beyond a 40 degree "off axis" position. And there is a degree of graininess that matches that ...but does not exceed that of a BD 1.4 screen

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #7 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mm that screenshot has me convinced to at least try my hand at DIY solution. I am going to go read up on the sf thread now.

Btw I have an elite screen cinewhite right now. I wonder if I could just spray sf on it.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

You can, but in my experience the only retractable s that are worth the effort are Tab Tensioned types.

Fixed Screens are difficult as they need to be removed from their frames and then stretched out on top a solid surface. But don't let that dissuade you, as where there is a will there is a way....and I can and "Will" show you the "Way". wink.gif

If you want to go all the way into the SF v2.5 6.0 High Gain territory, you'll have to use a SF mix that has not been published. If your willing to give it a go, PM for the details on what to get, where to get them, then post up your impressions along with the details on the Mix. If it's all good, then others can give it a go.

As I said before, the aspects and considerations involving ultra high gain SF mixes have kept the publishing of such formulas in check. But perhaps that should change....?

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page