Going Spandex AT- Need to be sure I'm ordering correct stuff! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ahajr143
  • 1 Post By Kristofer
  • 1 Post By muzz

post #1 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Gonna be building a new theater room, so the Front LCR (and possibly sub(s)) will finally be able to be put behind a screen. smile.gif

After reading a bunch of threads, I have assumed that the items I am looking for come from SpandexWorld, and I THINK these are the items I need:

Moleskin Matte White (# 977):
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/977
Moleskin Matte Silver (# 6409)
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/6409
Are these the correct Items I am looking for?

I was going to order the Matte Black (# 976) as well, but it doesn't seem like many are using it for backing.

I'm not sure if I'm going silver over white, or white over silver yet, but I wanted to be certain that the items I linked above are the correct ones...........and why are they so expensive all of the sudden, I keep reading $9 a yd, where it lists them as $12 rolleyes.gif....demand has jacked the price up?
Is this the only place that sells that particular brand, I know other places sell the "millskin" stuff(cheap too!!), and I read an early thread where that was used, and see MM is trying it out.....just don't want to experiment much right away, but want the fabric here for when I need it.

Thanks for the help!

muzz

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You have linked to the spandex that most have used for their AT screens. The "milliskin matte" spandex could also be used. The differences are that the moleskin matte is a heavier cloth (8 oz per square yd vs. 6 oz per square yard for the milliskin) and the milliskin spandex also has greater stretch, since it contains 20% spandex vs the 13% spandex in the moleskin matte. The milliskin spandex will allow for more light loss because of the greater stretch and lighter weight leads to larger "pores" that the light can travel through. This cam be alleviated some by not stretching too tightly. As far as whether to go silver over white as opposed to white over silver, that depends on the amount of lumens your projector delivers, your throw distance and whether or not you have light control. White over silver gives a brighter image but silver over white improves contrast. The milliskin is usually about $9 a sq. yd and the moleskin $12 a sq. yd.
muzz likes this.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's what I figured after reading a bunch of stuff.
The white/silver front will come later, I just wanted to be certain that I was ordering the correct stuff, and that this stuff wasn't available cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks ahajr143 !

m

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #4 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thats the right stuff!

Just finished mine after weeks of reading and asking questions here at AVS! I've seen a handful of BluRays and it works great! It's wonderful to have the speakers behind the screen! And i think the image looks great. But of course there are better screens, but this one is great for me!!
muzz likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

That's what I figured after reading a bunch of stuff.
The white/silver front will come later, I just wanted to be certain that I was ordering the correct stuff, and that this stuff wasn't available cheaper elsewhere.
Thanks ahajr143 !
m
there is a 15% discount right now which adds up to about shipping cost its on theies home page i think its NEWYEAR
so take advantage of that before Jan 6th
post #6 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoboh View Post

there is a 15% discount right now which adds up to about shipping cost its on theies home page i think its NEWYEAR
so take advantage of that before Jan 6th

Funny you say that now, I went looking for coupon codes before ordering just after my last post, and that is the 1 I found.
Saved me $10+

I ALWAYS look around for codes, they've saved me some good coin over the years.

Thanks Guys!

m

post #7 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked: 677

Gotta set these aside for reference. smile.gif
Quote:

Milliskin Matte White (#795)
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/795

Milliskin Matte Silver (#5954)
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/5954
/quote]

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
post #8 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Gotta set these aside for reference. smile.gif
Quote:
Milliskin Matte White (#795)
Milliskin Matte Silver (#5954)
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/5954
/quote]

Thanks MM

post #9 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm picking up the lumber tomorrow and some of which will be used for my screen frame. It may be a week or two before I have it ready for spandex but i figure I should buy it soon.

Unlike others making spandex screens I don't need mine to be AT I'm doing it because it's cheap. The entire screen wall sill be black velvet so I'm going witha zero edge design.

So I'll be going with the moelskin matte as it's thicker unless someone knows of an even thicker spandex that works as well?

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #10 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

I'm picking up the lumber tomorrow and some of which will be used for my screen frame. It may be a week or two before I have it ready for spandex but i figure I should buy it soon.
Unlike others making spandex screens I don't need mine to be AT I'm doing it because it's cheap. The entire screen wall sill be black velvet so I'm going witha zero edge design.
So I'll be going with the moelskin matte as it's thicker unless someone knows of an even thicker spandex that works as well?
If not using the screen to put speakers behind it, there are other options that are cheaper than the spandex screens, with better results.

post #11 of 26 Old 01-07-2016, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Talking

Well...here we are THREE years later, and after moving AGAIN ( on my own now...I guess it's a good thing), I finally have an area in my new home for a PJ/Screen...
Yes, after many years of having a PJ, I've been stuck with a 51-60" TV...
Bah
So, I JUST opened the box my spandex came in, and of course it's Moleskin instead of the now preferred Millskin...earlier adopter, it is what it is...
I have a new Vivitek H1186 coming(always looking for Budget Kings), so I don't think there will be any issues with powering one of these screens with it...
I need the floor space, the speakers pretty much have to go behind the screen, and there is an old bar directly behind where the screen will be to land the speakers...so...

I have the White and the Silver(both Matte), and I'm thinking white over the silver.
There WILL be light in the room, we'll be playing darts 14' away from the screen, and while it will not be direct light, I'm certain the light from the dart area will light up that section....at least a bit.
White over silver? What says you!

post #12 of 26 Old 01-07-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I sez:

Use the Moleskin Matte Sliver for the rear....bite down and get the Milliskin Matte White for the Front.

There is enough difference in the smoothness of the Milliskin to make all the difference. Stretched just enough to be flat, it will be both smoother and brighter than Moleskin.

By quite a stretch. (...that was just too irresistible...)

post #13 of 26 Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was afraid to hear this...I'm only slightly pissed, cuz as I noted...
I was an early adopter, before it was figured that Millskin made a better surface...ARRRRRRGGGGGGH.
Ok, I feel better now..
#795 from your earlier saved post, aka:

Is this still the good stuff 3 years later?

Thanks Mo

M

post #14 of 26 Old 01-07-2016, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I was afraid to hear this...I'm only slightly pissed, cuz as I noted...
I was an early adopter, before it was figured that Millskin made a better surface...ARRRRRRGGGGGGH.
Ok, I feel better now..
#795 from your earlier saved post, aka:

Is this still the good stuff 3 years later?

Thanks Mo

M
I sure hope so, cuz I just ordered the #795 /Millskin/ White Matte at Spandexworld, and that's what's going up there over the silver moleskin(which I paid MORE for! Arrrrrrrgh).
I had saved your post that you posted for reference.

It'll be nice to finally use the'skin/rubber spline/border I ordered 3 years ago!

Thanks Mo

Gary

post #15 of 26 Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your in luck....that's the stuff.

It's all good.

Now take that left over White Moleskin and make a Super Hero Outfit.

Maybe "The Mutant Pilsbury Doughboy" .....but beware "Roller Man". He'll flatten ya!

post #16 of 26 Old 01-08-2016, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can't have that...I'll have to be careful!
post #17 of 26 Old 01-29-2016, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hung the Matt white Moleskin I ordered 3 yrs ago over my DaLit HP screen, just to get an idea of what to expect when I build the white milliskin over silver moleskin as I had planned....
My pj is celing mounted, so the gain of the HP is basically nill according to testing results i have seen (HP Screens require center lens to reflect at higher gain- reflects right back to your eyes, offset reduces gain to almost nothing-basically 1.0).
When I had the msterial in my hand it looked bright white under normal lighting, but when I draped it over the center of the HP it looked darker than the screen for certain, helped blacks and dimmed whites...I also put up a grid, and it seems to soften the picture a bit (definitely, I looked up close, can seen grid lines much clearer on regular screen).
What is the moleskin "gain/reflectivity"again, like .8 or something?
I may end up going white Mill over the White Moleskin I already have instead of the silver backing.

Thanks
post #18 of 26 Old 01-29-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I hung the Matt white Moleskin I ordered 3 yrs ago over my DaLit HP screen, just to get an idea of what to expect when I build the white milliskin over silver moleskin as I had planned....
My pj is celing mounted, so the gain of the HP is basically nill according to testing results i have seen (HP Screens require center lens to reflect at higher gain- reflects right back to your eyes, offset reduces gain to almost nothing-basically 1.0).
When I had the msterial in my hand it looked bright white under normal lighting, but when I draped it over the center of the HP it looked darker than the screen for certain, helped blacks and dimmed whites...I also put up a grid, and it seems to soften the picture a bit (definitely, I looked up close, can seen grid lines much clearer on regular screen).
What is the moleskin "gain/reflectivity"again, like .8 or something?
I may end up going white Mill over the White Moleskin I already have instead of the silver backing.

Thanks
I believe the Milliskin should give a sharper/clearer picture than the Moleskin because of its finer weave.
I think the matte-white spandex was measured closer to 0.7gain, but that might've been just a single layer.
White milliskin over white Moleskin sounds like a solid plan for maximum brightness out of spandex.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
"A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #19 of 26 Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've done a search since that post, and it seems that the white is supposedly like .8, but at this point, does that really matter, my PJ has plenty of Lumens to handle it, was just wondering if I should bother with the Silver underbelly at all considering it's much dimmer already with a whiter color backing than the White Moleskin outer layer...not certain how that HP screen behind the draped White Mole is affecting it, but I would have to imagine the Silver Mole in the back will just make it darker than it is right now in this lil test.
I also did an ambient light test, and because the White Moleskin material is physically a darker color than the HP, it handles ambient light better, so that's obviously a good thing.
Still undecided, but I may just do the White over white.

Thanks Ftoast

m

post #20 of 26 Old 01-29-2016, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 549
If you don't think you'll be bothered by the slightly darker image using light-grey backing instead of white, I've heard one or two mentionings that the grey backing (behind white) can look a little crisper and might give slightly better color-balance compared to white over white.
In general, if you can stand to lose a bit more brightness, white over grey might be preferred instead of white over white...either way you'll still want the white Milliskin top layer.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
"A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #21 of 26 Old 01-29-2016, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I actually have the Matt Silver Mole, so I should just stack them both over the HP and find out..

post #22 of 26 Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Done...
I stacked them over the HP, but made sure to leave ~10" of just white on left snd silver on the right, and...
There is no way I would go Silver on the outside like some folks do, and the difference between white over the hp and white over the silver is not huge, I can see the line where it transitions from white/hp to white/silver/hp, but it's not massive, so it'd be fine...
The one thing I DO know, and I swore years ago to not do again, is the whites on the "white" with Hp in the background ( and also on the sides of course-draped over the long/skinny way in the middle)is that the whites look dingy like they did with my old gray screen...I knew better than to try grey against a white, but I did WHITE Spandex over what is a white screen, and the Spandex looks like a dingy gray screen in comparison....ugggh, that wasn't expected.
post #23 of 26 Old 01-29-2016, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When I flash a flashlight on my HP (anywhere) it looks like a flashlight color should-orange/yellowly light, when I flash it on the white spandex, it does not look like what I've known to be the color of a flashlight...
Has anyone ever tested the white Moleskin for Neutrality? Doesn't seem correct.
post #24 of 26 Old 01-29-2016, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I went net searching for the answer to the neutrality/actual color of the white Moleskin (and Millskin as well), and of course it was tested-Mech ran a bunch of tests on these, and the reason the "white" moleskin I have looks gray, is because it's almost identical in color to his "unique gray" painted screen.
It also pushes blue, while the Millskin pushes red relectance. He said the White Mole was ~N8 or 8.5.
Said the only dample he had that was Neutral was a rough moleskin grey, which was very dark.
Guess that answers my question IF, IF, it was the stuff from spandex world.
Gonna dig into this some more, but the flashlight color tells me it's off.
Ftoast likes this.
post #25 of 26 Old 01-29-2016, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After watching with the mole white over silver for hours, i just ripped out the backing Mole Silver and finally put the Mill white over the Mole white....colors are still grayish in comparison, but I may be able to live with these.
I'll be watching it like this for awhile like I did the white over silver to be certain, so we'll see.
post #26 of 26 Old 02-10-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Bump: .......and ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page