Stretching BOC - AVS Forum
DIY Screen Section > Stretching BOC
bdj5773's Avatar bdj5773 12:17 PM 01-06-2013
I just bought a piece of BOC. It is 54" width. I need to get it around 58" width. The length is fine. Will this fabric stretch to get it that wide? I haven't actually tried to stretch it but it does seem rather rigid.

Jim McC's Avatar Jim McC 03:31 PM 01-06-2013
Are you saying the frame is 58", outside edge to outside edge? If so, I don't think it will stretch nearly that much.
bdj5773's Avatar bdj5773 03:46 PM 01-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Are you saying the frame is 58", outside edge to outside edge? If so, I don't think it will stretch nearly that much.

No, I haven't built the frame yet, but was wanting to get it to 58" if at all possible. I was just wondering if this stuff is stretchable? It seems rigid and while I think it will stretch some, I don't think it will stretch another 4"
curttard's Avatar curttard 04:27 PM 01-06-2013
It doesn't stretch much at all. If you google there is a guy who sells it in giant widths although it'll cost a lot more than the standard 54" from Joann.
bdj5773's Avatar bdj5773 04:50 PM 01-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

It doesn't stretch much at all. If you google there is a guy who sells it in giant widths although it'll cost a lot more than the standard 54" from Joann.

I believe it will stretch about an inch maybe two. I will just have to work with what I have. I do plan of making a lot larger screen in the future to put in another room. I watched Transformers on the plain BOC last night and looked really good. Can't wait to get this thing painted biggrin.gif
Jim McC's Avatar Jim McC 08:39 PM 01-06-2013
When I built a BOC screen years ago, it was 52" X 92". There was enough left over for about 1" larger in both directions, that's about it. You have to have enough on the back to be able to staple it good.
curttard's Avatar curttard 10:53 PM 01-06-2013
I just stapled to the front of my frame (didn't wrap it around at all) and covered the staples with my black border.
nagoy's Avatar nagoy 02:32 PM 02-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj5773 View Post

I believe it will stretch about an inch maybe two. I will just have to work with what I have. I do plan of making a lot larger screen in the future to put in another room. I watched Transformers on the plain BOC last night and looked really good. Can't wait to get this thing painted biggrin.gif

bdj5773, how much success did you have? i.e. how much give was there?
I have some JoAnn's BOC 54", and when I measured the width laying flat it was already at about 54-1/2". Since my original plan was for a 54" x 127"-ish 1:2.35 screen, I was hoping that there would be at least another half inch of give after putting screen-flattening tension on the fabric. This would mean I only had a half-inch to staple on the vertical frames, but I'm hoping that with some care and attention, this method will work out.

First post, btw! I just got myself the Epson 8350, my first PJ.
bdj5773's Avatar bdj5773 05:09 PM 02-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagoy View Post

bdj5773, how much success did you have? i.e. how much give was there?
I have some JoAnn's BOC 54", and when I measured the width laying flat it was already at about 54-1/2". Since my original plan was for a 54" x 127"-ish 1:2.35 screen, I was hoping that there would be at least another half inch of give after putting screen-flattening tension on the fabric. This would mean I only had a half-inch to staple on the vertical frames, but I'm hoping that with some care and attention, this method will work out.

First post, btw! I just got myself the Epson 8350, my first PJ.

I had success getting the screen up. However, there is not much stretching with this material. I was able to stretch around 1/2" more and that was about it. I stapled the fabric to the front of the frame rather than wrapping it to the back and thus loosing width. I haven't painted it yet but will. I have been watching movies on the fabric as is and the picture looks pretty good, but I know once it is painted it will be awesome.

Good luck!!
nagoy's Avatar nagoy 08:18 PM 02-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj5773 View Post

I had success getting the screen up. However, there is not much stretching with this material. I was able to stretch around 1/2" more and that was about it. I stapled the fabric to the front of the frame rather than wrapping it to the back and thus loosing width. I haven't painted it yet but will. I have been watching movies on the fabric as is and the picture looks pretty good, but I know once it is painted it will be awesome.

Good luck!!

Yeah, I too am planning to staple to the front of the frame for maximum height. I took a 2-inch strip from the roll of BoC to experiment with, and found exactly what you did: there is about another half inch of play. With the material being 54-1/2-inch in actual width, this means I have exactly the width necessary for 54-inch height. I have been trying to finally decide whether to build a 16:9 (54x96) or a 1:2.35 (54x127), and while bigger is almost always better around here, I think the 2.35 dimensions might be just a bit too wide for my room dimensions. Decisions, decisions!

Did you also make a post asking about whether the supports would show up behind the BoC (e.g. by adding a riser around the frame)? I was going to round over the edges of the central support piece(s) so there were no sharp edges. From your experience with your frame, do you think that would be sufficient? It doesn't seem to be mentioned as being a common problem.
Up
Mobile  Desktop