What's the right paint! I want to keep it simple! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not to keen on getting the best image, in fact I have it set up and the projector is projecting on drywall that has holes that have been just filled. It basically has white filler all over it and we played a move and still enjoyed it. So I have a few question about the paint before I go out and buy it.

I just want a simple paint that does the job, I want to avoid glaring and stuff, so maybe a flat would be my safest bet. My projector gives out 2600 lumens. That probably means I want a white paint instead of grey? I was looking into BEHR Silver Screen, but not sure if I should get it or not? I'm not into experimenting or mixing.

Some questions:

1. What is the best finish, sating, flat, latex, eggshell?
2, Should I go with Silver Screen, will less lumens really matter on a grey screen?
3. What white paints does BEHR have that would be suitable for my wall/screen?

I just want to go into Home Depot, and grab one paint come home and paint the wall. The picture is fine now, but I know we can get it better once it's painted.

I thinks that's all, thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffuse20 View Post

Not to keen on getting the best image, in fact I have it set up and the projector is projecting on drywall that has holes that have been just filled. It basically has white filler all over it and we played a move and still enjoyed it. So I have a few question about the paint before I go out and buy it.
I just want a simple paint that does the job, I want to avoid glaring and stuff, so maybe a flat would be my safest bet. My projector gives out 2600 lumens. That probably means I want a white paint instead of grey? I was looking into BEHR Silver Screen, but not sure if I should get it or not? I'm not into experimenting or mixing.
Some questions:
1. What is the best finish, sating, flat, latex, eggshell?
2, Should I go with Silver Screen, will less lumens really matter on a grey screen?
3. What white paints does BEHR have that would be suitable for my wall/screen?
I just want to go into Home Depot, and grab one paint come home and paint the wall. The picture is fine now, but I know we can get it better once it's painted.
I thinks that's all, thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

I would start with a one gallon of kills pro x p10 primer from Home Depot. You need to prime that surface anyway, so get yourself one gallon of primer it will cost you 13.00 and you will hardly use anything so your gallon will still be practically full when your done.

I was impressed aT how good the picture looked at this stage. If its all you want then stop there. If you want more and are ready to spend another 50.00 the picture will be much improved from that extra 50.00. Try it out and let us know what you think.

Cheers

infocus 4805, mitsubishi hd1000, optoma hd 20 for one month, and now epson 8500ub
post #3 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Sorry I reposted twice.

infocus 4805, mitsubishi hd1000, optoma hd 20 for one month, and now epson 8500ub
post #4 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

the wall is already painted, just been through allot and has been filled now and needs to be re painted. don't need the primer. What kind of paint, latex, satin, egshell? What is the most popular finish? I'll just grab a white paint, just need to know if it should be glossy or flat or what ever smile.gif thanks.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Do yourself the favor of reading the "Guide to Simple DIY Screens" Sticky at the top of the Thread page.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/929997/beginners-guide-to-simple-diy-painted-screens

On the second page you'll find plenty to read and absorb as far as why a Gray Screen would be best (...the brighter the PJ, the more a Gray can help...)

You'll also find several simple Neutral Gray tint formulas the Paint Tech at Home Depot or Lowes can make up. Ask for a Flat Latex Interior Enamel Base. Such paint should be easy for you to roll.

I hope you'll take just a little more time at what your doing. I cannot impress upon you the importance of doing so enough, but even if I did, your post reads like no few others I've seen over the years...where people are determined to just splash up any old paint because their existing wall looks so good. Almost always, they regret that choice. Even just a little care in selection can reap great benefits, and the choice need not be complex or expensive. Just the right choice. You cannot be the judge because you have no reference or experience, and if your unwilling consider sage advice, or to make even a modicum of effort to find out what might be better / best for you and your situation, then really, what is the reason to even bother?

Simply put, many of us on here are dedicated to helping people such as you NOT make basic "Knee Jerk" decisions that result in mundane or worse results. As I said above, even the right "Basic" choice can be a great choice...if it's at least the right choice.

And Brother, take this for the absolute truth....a "White" surface is NOT what you want. Look instead in the Sticky at Grays in the N8.0 range.

Now...go knock yourself out. cool.gif

PS....if you want to go with something without reading past this post, just go with Silver Screen mixed in Behr 1780 Interior Flat Enamel, applied with a 1/4"Nap 9" "High Quality" Roller.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #6 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mississippiMan. I wouldn't say I'm going to grab any old paint. That is why I'm here I guess, I have to have this wall done this week and I can't order anything online, don't have the time. I just want to hit up Home Depot and get paint there. So I guess I'm looking for the paint that will do me fine that Home Depot would sell, in my case it's BEHR paint.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Do yourself the favor of reading the "Guide to Simple DIY Screens" Sticky at the top of the Thread page.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/929997/beginners-guide-to-simple-diy-painted-screens
On the second page you'll find plenty to read and absorb as far as why a Gray Screen would be best (...the brighter the PJ, the more a Gray can help...)
You'll also find several simple Neutral Gray tint formulas the Paint Tech at Home Depot or Lowes can make up. Ask for a Flat Latex Interior Enamel Base. Such paint should be easy for you to roll.
I hope you'll take just a little more time at what your doing. I cannot impress upon you the importance of doing so enough, but even if I did, your post reads like no few others I've seen over the years...where people are determined to just splash up any old paint because their existing wall looks so good. Almost always, they regret that choice. Even just a little care in selection can reap great benefits, and the choice need not be complex or expensive. Just the right choice. You cannot be the judge because you have no reference or experience, and if your unwilling consider sage advice, or to make even a modicum of effort to find out what might be better / best for you and your situation, then really, what is the reason to even bother?
Simply put, many of us on here are dedicated to helping people such as you NOT make basic "Knee Jerk" decisions that result in mundane or worse results. As I said above, even the right "Basic" choice can be a great choice...if it's at least the right choice.
And Brother, take this for the absolute truth....a "White" surface is NOT what you want. Look instead in the Sticky at Grays in the N8.0 range.
Now...go knock yourself out. cool.gif
PS....if you want to go with something without reading past this post, just go with Silver Screen mixed in Behr 1780 Interior Flat Enamel, applied with a 1/4"Nap 9" "High Quality" Roller.

I agree:) you should be very happy with this Behr paint that mm suggested.

post #8 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM

I'm confused by the no white paint comment.... I was reading this post and all of his choices are whites. So confused...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1445788/my-glidden-diamond-450-titanium-white-screen
post #9 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 AM

He says thay because white screens can be good or bad depending on how dark your room is.

Grey screens are always good no matter how your room is.

Cheers

post #10 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisonjim36 View Post

I'm confused by the no white paint comment.... I was reading this post and all of his choices are whites. So confused...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1445788/my-glidden-diamond-450-titanium-white-screen

Well, read this direct quote from the "linked to" Thread coming directly from the Author of that thread;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

I do, I don't and I will... smile.gif
Absolutely, room treatment is critical with the white paint. I will say that I think white screens are for those who are willing to go full dark treatment in their theater rooms. Dark walls, ceiling, floor and furniture. If you're willing to do that, I think white is worth a look. If you're not, and most aren't, you need to go gray. Just my opinion any way.

I will add to that something I didn't pro-offer before.

You do not mention the Make / Model of PJ your using, but from the wee bit of a description you gave (2600 lumen) that tells me it's almost certainly a "Presentation-Oriented" PJ with the correspondingly lower Contrast most such PJs sport. Probably an Optoma.

So using Gray will not only provide you with a better image in a less than ideally suited room, it will do so because it deepesn the Blacks as seen coming off the Screen surface. Deeper blacks will have all the more resistance against any returning reflected light. Will they take a hit? Of course, but they also have further to degrade before the image get's deplorably washed out because of those deeper black levels. Not so with a White screen, which has almost no resistance whatsoever except the additional boost in brightness. Which in turn can work further damage by creating all the more intense reflections coming back to wash out the screen even more.

A vicious cycle that using a appropriate Gray can mitigate, if indeed not eliminate.

In DIY there is always a lot more opinions offered that do not come with a definitive explanation than do. So comprehensive reading...and the asking of directed questions is absolutely essential.

A through read of the linked-to Thread would have eliminated any confusion. But that's OK.......

....I'm glad to step up and add to the confusion. biggrin.gifwink.gifcool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #11 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

So if I go with what MM recommends the Silver Screen and Enamel, what kind do I get? I went into Home Depot and they had three types of Silver Screen, they had latex, flat, eggshell, and satin I think. Which one do I get? also is Behr 1780 Interior Flat Enamel a white paint? Sorry I am a complete noob here! And for the final question, how much do I mix in? thanks smile.gif
post #12 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Get the "1780 Flat Enamel Base" and have them tint it with Silver Screen (...a Glidden Color...) Ask the paint Tech for EXACTLY what I've written.

Really, there should be no confusion here as it's a very simple thing.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #13 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

So what's up with the Satin and all that, what if they ask me if I want satin, or what ever? or will that even come up? and I have a viewsonic PJD5112. I apologize for my my complete unknowing of anything in this area. I just don't want to go to Home Depot again and they ask me what type satin, eggshell etc. I went up to get silver screen before and this was asked, I had no idea what to get.

Mississippi you have been a great help!! smile.gif
post #14 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
As per MM's instructions above you need to ask for "flat" paint. "Eggshell" , "satin" and "gloss" refer to the glossiness or sheen of the paint. You want no sheen so you need "flat" paint. Sheen leads "hotspotting" and other picture artifacts.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahajr143 View Post

As per MM's instructions above you need to ask for "flat" paint. "Eggshell" , "satin" and "gloss" refer to the glossiness or sheen of the paint. You want no sheen so you need "flat" paint. Sheen leads "hotspotting" and other picture artifacts.

Amen.

As stated previously.: Get the "1780 Flat Enamel Base" and have them tint it with Silver Screen (...a Glidden Color...) Ask the paint Tech for EXACTLY what I've written.

Print this out and take it with you.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #16 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! smile.gif again I'm sorry for being so lame.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sawrite.....

Better to need a Crutch than a Crying Towel.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #18 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

My home depot has an 1880 and 1750 not 1780, would that be all right?
post #19 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sorry....typo.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version