Seymour AT material with AR-100u or AE7000u projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We're looking at getting a roughly 120" acoustically-transparent screen for an AR-100u projector. Would a 10' viewing distance be sufficient for the Seymour AV screen material, and would this material work with the projector?

We're looking at the Panasonic AR-100u because it has very little lag for gaming and is bright at 2800 lumens, which will be great for our multi-purpose space. We would like to be able to use the space in low ambient light although we plan to install blackout curtains. Is there another projector that would be more suitable in the price range? Would the Smooth Screen filter make the more expensive AE7000U substantially better on microperf screens despite the lower light output?

I prefer microperf because I want to minimize light loss for a better picture when we want to use the system and not be in a cave. I'm thinking of getting in-wall speakers with in-line equalizers to compensate for sound coloration above 10kHz and installing the screen about six inches from the wall,

That's a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate the help even if you can only answer one or two of them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
A 120" diagonal screen is WAY TOO LARGE for a 10' seating distance, no matter what the screen material is. It should be about 92" diagonal. We need your throw distance to see if there are any other possibilities.

LCD only?

Budget?
post #3 of 15 Old 01-13-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jim.

The room is 16' by 16', so the throw distance would probably be around 14 or 15 feet. We could move back the sofa two or three feet but we were toying with the idea of putting a computer desk behind the sofa and running the projector as a second monitor.

What do you recommend on the display technology? We're not partial to LCDs, we just had read that those specific projectors are good value and can also be used for gaming.

I'm not sure what our budget is, as I'm not the one with the checkbook - we were looking in the $1-2k range, and I'd say around $2k would be the upper limit of our budget. Are there compelling reasons to go higher? We started looking at the $1100 Epson everyone seems to like but then read that it had a bad case of lag.

If we make the screen much smaller and have to get a more expensive projector, at some point a big LED TV starts looking more appealing (Groupon has a 70" for $2700).
post #4 of 15 Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Gameroom Model.skp 2.zip 2896k .zip file

If you have Sketch Up, this model gives a good idea about the space we're working with.

Update: corrected screen width.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gameroom Model.skp 2.zip (2.83 MB, 5 views)
post #5 of 15 Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

You need to decide if you want a larger screen and no computer desk, or a smaller screen, with computer desk behind it. I prefer DLP projectors, but that doesn't mean you will. You should try to view both types in action to decide.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The BenQ W1070 is getting all the attention right now. You might want to check that one out.

I have a 110" screen, and I sit about 10ft from it. I like to be 'immersed' in the movie.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

The BenQ W1070 is getting all the attention right now. You might want to check that one out.

The W1070 won't work with his screen size and throw. At 14', the smallest the image can be is 128" diagonal.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I didn't see anything up in print that said his Throw distance was limited to 14' minimum? At 120" diagonal he can place the PJ at 11'-12'

Personally, since Grant stated he had a "max" budget of $2K for the PJ, I'd be steering him into would be the BenQ w7000
The w7000 is just under 13" deep,so placed at 14' 6" (Lens to screen) he'd have 5" to spare. It has measurably better Contrast, and produces a markedly brighter image.

Joining the Club w/Smokarz, I also approve of the Couch being 1.2:1 ratio Seat to Screen 'diagonal" . I set up Theaters to that spec all the time, and only those who do not "want" to be that close ever complain. That's seldom the Owner. wink.gif

Having the w7000 at hand and pushing 120" diagonal will garner Grant 23 fl and he'll need every bit. The seats being at 12' will leave room for that desk. Barely.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #9 of 15 Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can swing $2k, definitely look at the W7000. Besides better contrast, it's has lenshift which is a great asset in terms of placement flexibility.

I was under the impression he wanted to keep it well under $2k, and preferably at $1.5k or less, therefore the W1070.

My next projector will most likely be the W1070, since I don't have $2k hanging out of my wallet. tongue.gif
post #10 of 15 Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I didn't see anything up in print that said his Throw distance was limited to 14' minimum?

Then you missed it. In post #3 the OP said "throw distance would probably be around 14 or 15 feet".
post #11 of 15 Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Then you missed it. In post #3 the OP said "throw distance would probably be around 14 or 15 feet".

Oh yeah...I missed that too.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Nope, I didn't miss anything. I simply read more into it than you did. biggrin.gif

"Probably" to my way of reasoning reads more like "I'm not sure what it will be".....and that there is a "possibility" the equation might be open to revision. Why is it that all too often people seem to read posts with tunnel vision?

I prefer not to see the impasse but rather the solution, if there is even the slightest possibility one might exist. In this case, one such solution obviously does.

Sorta like reading about the Guy who was sure he couldn't have a Screen because there was a Window at the only sensible location, or hang a PJ because there was a Fan or Light between the Screen and the desired / needed location. One has to get used to looking at an issue as having a solution as opposed to building roadblocks, or failing to look for the sign pointing to a viable and available alternative route.

While there are indeed problems that cannot be solved, offering up a solution tends to get most peoples adrenalin pumped and create action instead of lethargy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

If you can swing $2k, definitely look at the W7000. Besides better contrast, it's has lenshift which is a great asset in terms of placement flexibility.

I was under the impression he wanted to keep it well under $2k, and preferably at $1.5k or less, therefore the W1070.

Again, the post read, "
Quote:
I'm not sure what our budget is, as I'm not the one with the checkbook - we were looking in the $1-2k range, and I'd say around $2k would be the upper limit of our budget. Are there compelling reasons to go higher?

I'd say that statement leaves the issue open for both discussion and suggestion. . At least smokarz noted that there are compelling reasons to consider such an upgrade.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #13 of 15 Old 01-15-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! I guess I could have been clearer right off the bat and said that my maximum throw distance is whatever is allowed by the 16' deep room - I have no minimum throw distance, although since the middle of the ceiling is recessed, I guess a rear placement would be my preference.

The W7000 in particular is supposed to be quite a bit noisier than the Panasonic. What about building a recessed projector house into the wall? The other side of the projector end of the room goes out to a staircase. I'm thinking of putting a vent into the staircase and building a chamber that extends through the wall and around the projector.

Is this a reasonable plan?

The lens memory of the AE7000U sure is a tempting feature. If I'm building my own screen anyway it wouldn't be that much harder to build a Scope one and put all three front speakers farther apart and still behind the screen. But it sounds like it really doesn't compare to the W7000 in overall picture quality, especially brightness after calibration.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The lens memory of the AE7000U sure is a tempting feature. If I'm building my own screen anyway it wouldn't be that much harder to build a Scope one and put all three front speakers farther apart and still behind the screen. But it sounds like it really doesn't compare to the W7000 in overall picture quality, especially brightness after calibration.

Not at all true! The Panny 8000 / 7000 both have exceptionally bright images and image quality is spectacularly clear. I did a AE7000 on a 154" 2.35:1 painted Drywall screen recently and it looked spectacular enough but when I added a Darbee 5000 it then went ballistic!

If there ever could be a good, compelling reason to "go a little higher" then considering a AE8000 fit's that reasoning to a "T". (...@ $2535.00 it's a steal...)

A Through-the-Wall PJ housing isn't a bad idea, but I don't think it would require much more than a "open-ended" Recessed opening.

But consider that if you place the AE7000 / 8000 at 13' 6" to optimize your Lumen output, pretty much all things become possible. Effecting a classy looking Drop for the PJ is a no-brainer.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #15 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have a 120" Seymour Centerstage XD screen that I built DIY and it is curved. We sit with the front row 8' and 2nd row 12' back. Using a JVC rs4810 with e shift works well. We used a dip for years but a DILA works better. FWIW I plan on rebuilding the riser and moving the rows back 2'. Partially to get the money seat in the acoustic sweet spot but also because 8' is too close for our taste with a 10' wide screen. When we built the theater we started with a 8' wide screen.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page