Question/Confirmation on at spandex screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I've been reading all of the spandex screen threads and I think I'm ready to begin the construction process. I am, however, stumped on the spandex part. Here are the stats of my home theater: epson 8350 projecting a 130" image in a light controlled room. I'm currently projecting onto the wall painted with a tint you kind folks on this forum helped me with. My throw distance is 15 feet.

So...here are the questions:
1) matte moleskine or milliskin? I plan to doing two layers to limit light loss so I'm thinking I could do the milliskin. It's also $3 a yard cheaper than the moleskin.

2) white over gray/silver or vise versa? Looking at some of the threads, it seems like the gray over white would be pretty dark. However, when stretched, the milliskin silver might be just the ticket.

Thanks in advance and please let me know if I need to provide any more information about my theater set up.

Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Subscribed. I am in the same boat. I've been doing some searching and it seems like the sticky for this section is a little thin on DIY AT screens. I've seen references to Ponte fabric, Spandex, polyester, shear weave and others. I'll stay tuned to see how your's goes.

-Greg
post #3 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 463
I'd get white and silver and then try both ways. Chances are with that throw distance and projector, you'll go white over silver. I personally love my silver, but my throw distance is 10ft with a Viewsonic Pro8200. Plenty of lumens to spare.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It really depends on your lighting conditions, your projector, screen size, throw distance and viewing habits. I have the Epson 8100, which has a couple hundred less lumens than the 8350 but also has poorer contrast. I am happy with the silver matte moleskin over white screen that I did (120" diagonal 2.35:1 aspect ratio). I am projecting from 13 feet. I went with the silver over white in my light controlled room because I want to watch football with some light on. I watch movies in eco mode with theater black 1 setting and the image is plenty bright enough. With the lights on I switch to dynamic and the picture still looks great. A lot of people have gone with white over silver because they want the brightest image and don't need as much help with black levels. I agree with Tuxedovic; its easy enough stretch the spandex and try it both ways to see your preference, particularly if you use the screen tight system for attaching the spandex. If you are using two layers the milliskin should work fine for you. The moleskin is a heavier weight cloth, which is why it is more expensive.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments so far. I ended up ordering the milliskin silver and white (both matte). I hung them side by side on the screen wall. After looking at a few different types of moves I'm leaning towards the white over silver. The silver looked just a little too dark for my conditions. Now, neither of these was stretched to the extent that they will be when I hang them on the screen frame so that may change things.

I only need a couple of 10 foot boards and some half round and I'm going to begin the build. I'll probably post build pictures to this thread, so that I don't start another one (unless anyone thinks that's a bad idea).

-Erik
post #6 of 19 Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
This comes a little late, but upon another recent search I found what Spandex World call, "Light Silver Milliskin". And indeed it is a full 1/2 as dark a Silver as the regular Moleskin Matte Silver.

http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/5954

If it was not what you ordered, it may be the real answer for many.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #7 of 19 Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

No problem MM. I did end up ordering the light silver. It doesn't, however, look very light to me. I'll take a few Picts with it and the milliskin white so you guys can see the contrast.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I forgot about picts of the milliskin, but here are a couple of the frame that I started. I have to get the screen tight attached and then the half round for the stand off and I'll start stretching.

post #9 of 19 Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

I finally finished the frame and am getting ready to stretch the fabric. Here is a comparison shot of the white and light silver milliskin. It doesn't look very light to me, but I don't know what the regular silver looks like.

post #10 of 19 Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

I would suppose that it would take a direct side - to - side comparison to evaluate the difference. If the ONLY difference was the finer weave of the Milliskin, I would expect that to be an advantage.

I will add this...for the most part, most Silvers are represented with having a medium to fairly dark shade of Gray, unless it is a polished or highly metalized Silver.

With any spandex application it all falls to how much lumen output can be delivered. I've seen, with all the expanded interest over the last 18 month, more than a few want to stretch the envelope and try to use Spandex as if it was a +1.0 gain material. It should not be considered such, nor rightly compared to material that is of, or exceeds that gain level.

All this was made apparent in several earlier Spandex related threads, but if such is not repeated, then too often that knowledge gets left in the wake of the convenience, ease of build, and less expense aspects of choosing Spandex.

I'm hoping that your experience will be one of the goodin's

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Liked: 13
Hey efaust,

Any progress? Pics! smile.gif You mention half round for screen standoff, is this to keep the spandex from touching the frame? Is this necessary? Is the actual frame size larger than 130"? So the actual screen size in "inside" the frame? I'm getting ready to build a frame... trying figure out what the measurements should be and how to measure for a black felt cosmetic frame...
post #12 of 19 Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hey pixelpusher,

No more progress as of yet. I'v been focusing on other house projects. I plan on painting the frame and stretching the fabric in the next few days. The moulding was to keep the fabric off the center supports. I don't know if it's absolutely necessary, but others have done it so I thought I'd follow a tried and true method for my first diy screen.

Yes, the total screen is 130, including the outside. So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a velvet frame. Probably nothing at this point as my wall behind the screen is charcoal gray and not terribly reflective.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The standoff molding is not necessary, but it hides the staples or hardware if you attach the spandex to the outside edge of the frame. I wrapped mine around and attached via staples to the back without molding and it gives a nice sharp edge. I don't have a border around the frame because the screen is "floating" and attached by french cleats to the wall with blackout black curtains along the whole wall behind the screen.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-15-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, the frame is finished, the spandex stretched and the whole shebang hung on the wall. I'm honestly not sure if I got the spandex stretched tightly enough but my highly non-scientific breath test on the screen told me that it was pretty porous.

I've attached the screen to the wall using those metal french cleats used for picture hanging. I tried a wooden cleat set up at first but wasn't satisfied with the result.

I'm going to do a few more runs with Audessey and experiment some more with the tweeter angling and my receiver settings (Onkyo TXNR-809) but I'd say I'm pretty happy at this point. The picture looks really good to me, a bit better than my prevously painted one. I think this might have more to do with the fact that the spandex is smoother than my painted screen wall was. Either way, I'm happy with the results for now.

Sorry that I don't have any completed, hung on the wall pictures or screen shots. I'll get some up in the next few days.

-Erik
post #15 of 19 Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaust View Post

Sorry that I don't have any completed, hung on the wall pictures or screen shots. I'll get some up in the next few days.

-Erik

Great Erik!

We all (...or most of us anyway...) will be anxiously awaiting a final and detailed evaluation that comes from someone who has experienced both sides of the equation, and who has opted to do what is the most suggested (...and viable...) DIY AT Screen solution so far to come about that actually uses no Mfg Screen materials at all.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #16 of 19 Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaust View Post

I finally finished the frame and am getting ready to stretch the fabric. Here is a comparison shot of the white and light silver milliskin. It doesn't look very light to me, but I don't know what the regular silver looks like.

I just recieved my Spandexworld Moleskin Silver and White.

6409 Moleskin Matte (Silver) $12.00 3.0 $36.00
977 Moleskin Matte (White) $12.00 3.0 $36.00

Moleskin silver looks significaly lighter than the silver shown in the pic above. Only a couple shades darker than the white.
I am also running an Epson 8350 with 130" 16:9 screen.
I am still in construction mode in the HT so I can't hang a screen yet.
Do you have settings for using the Silver Spandex screen that worked well for the Epson 8350?
post #17 of 19 Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun.ivy@adtran View Post

I just received my Spandexworld Moleskin Silver and White.

Moleskin silver looks significantly lighter than the silver shown in the pic above. Only a couple shades darker than the white.

Oh furgudnissake.... wink.gif

Put the two Silvers together under the same light. Let's get a direct comparison. It would be a valuable visual determination easily made and confirmed by all.

Just the same, different generations of Colored Cloth can vary from run to run and certainly from Mfg to Mfg. Gotta remember, Spandex World "Distributes", not manufactures. Milliskin refers to the density of, and tightness (smoothness) of the weave.

I actually hope I'm wrong, because barring there being any acoustical issues, consistency in visual results is important when judging personally, or in conjunction with another, what material choice needs to be made...if at all.

Help us all out here...PPWSOI cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #18 of 19 Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Oh furgudnissake.... wink.gif

Put the two Silvers together under the same light. Let's get a direct comparison. It would be a valuable visual determination easily made and confirmed by all.

Just the same, different generations of Colored Cloth can vary from run to run and certainly from Mfg to Mfg. Gotta remember, Spandex World "Distributes", not manufactures. Milliskin refers to the density of, and tightness (smoothness) of the weave.

I actually hope I'm wrong, because barring there being any acoustical issues, consistency in visual results is important when judging personally, or in conjunction with another, what material choice needs to be made...if at all.

Help us all out here...PPWSOI cool.gif

I don't think anybody has both silvers to compare is the problem.
I merged the pic above with mine to compare. *These are taken with different cameras under different light.*

t/1000
post #19 of 19 Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well that could spell all the difference, being different images from different cameras under different lighting.

Guess we'll have to wait for Tuxedo's report.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page