I am soooo confused with my newly built screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just built a 108" screen with BOC. Turned out nice. Used 1X4 pine and "L" corner casings for the border. I checked my dimensions carefully before building and several different online calculators and my own calculations said height is 52.94 and width is 94.13. So i built the screen and with errors it came out to 53.0 inches by 94.25 (a bit off). BUT...when I project an image on it, and the top and bottom of image is lined up perfectly, the sides are off by over one inch! I don't get it...i am measuring it, and it should fit in there almost perfectly, but when i hold up my screen to it...its off by so much! why is this so? Do I have the right dimensions for a 108" screen? I'm sure its ok, but why is there that extra 1 to 1.25 inch space left over on the sides? Please help! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 201
First, one should always forget about any fractional differences that fall "below" a lower number, and especially the "Width". It is always easier to zoom out than pull in, because the screen's image will always lose or gain proportionately more size in the height as zoom is adjusted.

Secondly, every PJ can have a varying degree of difference in how it renders a given Format. There is almost a full 1" difference between say...a BenQ7000 and a Epson 5020UB in both the Height & Width of a 16:9 image. Although it is no real comfort, you can at least stop beating yourself up over the "mistake" because Mfg Screens almost all have the same type issues, with they seldom matching a given PJs image absolutely correct.

THAT is why since ancient times, the use of a Black Boarder for masking light overspill has been universally accepted. You can imagine there are probably more than a few utlra expensive "Zero Edge Screen" owners who have found out the hard way that their 'so cool' Screen fails to live up to their expectations in that simple regard.

But the third point is...if you already had the PJ, is there a reason you did not shoot your desired size image onto a wall and take specific measurements of both dimensional parameters? In DIY Screen making, that is one particular advantage inherent in the process.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked: 10
What source are you using to project the image? My HTPC had a lot of overscan on by default for example. My other sources did not. I also noticed that DVDs when played through my PS3 would have spaces on the side while the blu-rays did not.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Interesting..however, i currently have a 106" automatic screen and that fills the area perfectly. But with my 108" DIY project, there is a gap. Its weird because when I measure the width on my new screen, its 94.24 (supposed to be 94.13 inches), and the height is 53" (supposed to be 52.94)...so the numbers are very close. But why the 1"+ gap? Could it be the wall? Could the frame be warped? I'm not even sure how to fix this with all the staples and border already applied. Its a shame because the screen actually looks really nice with a sleek border just under 1" all around.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Liked: 21
It definitely might be warped since you said that you used pine. Poplar or another hardwood is usually recommended and sometimes they aren't even completely straight. Measure the diagonals from each of the top corners. that will tell you if your screen is "square" or at least as square as a rectangle can be (corners at 90 degrees)..
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page