DIY screen with paint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am have the drywall finished up this week in my room. Question is they are doing a orange peel texture in the room. Is that ok for my screen or should I leave that as smooth as possible? The room is in a basement with one window so light control is not a problem. I also will be using a epson 8350. I work at a local store that sells Ben Moore paint. I have been reading the white and gray debate for paint. I can see reasons to go either way. Please feel free to give me any thoughts as this is my first go with a projector. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 PM

I'd go with white. 8350 got enough punch combining ambient light being a non-issue, I'd op for better color rendition. I got gray paint years ago and there is no helping no matter how hard I tried - especially with skin tones.

Also, leave the dry wall as smooth as possible.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jo
post #4 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
First of all, have the wall where the screen will be finished as smooth as the Finishers possibly can. Stress that requirement. If you manage to get them to leave you with a ultra smooth wall, you'll be on your way to optimal performance with a minimum of effort.

If my past experience with a slew of 8350s counts for anything, I can safely state that you do want to use at least a light Neutral Gray paint. Better still, a moderate shade of Gray with metallic content. The ability / willingness to spray on your paint will open many possible choices. Rolling is your other option, but somewhat limits you to simpler, Flat Neutral Grays. Spraying is simple and very inexpensive these days, so give it strong consideration.

Your a NOOB, but that doesn't mean you don't want jaw dropping results.

Paint your walls a medium dark shade of some Earth or Water color, in a Flat sheen. Do the Ceiling in the same color only 3x darker. Just that bit of effort will also add an enhanced level of Projector Performance because the room will not work to detract from the dynamics of the Image.

Just give up a little more detail about what your wanting to do, the dimensions of the room, seating distance, and desired / hoped for Screen size, and we'll get you on your way.

Hmmmmm, last word here.

Grays of various shades, be they a simple Neutral version or a more advanced Metallic based mix, can and do provide color correct images and far better perceived contrast than any White possibly can. If the 8350 was instead a 6020 w/350,000:1 Contrast and the room was a perfectly Blacked out space with NO light reflections off any wall / ceiling.........well, white would be all right.

But a light, neutral Gray.....even better. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

The room is 17x28, I am shooting for a 120 or larger screen. Seating will be two rows with one on a platform and a bar seating behind the second row for a few more seats. I planned around 12-15 foot back on the first row and placing the second where it fits well with the others reclined, Thanks for the help I hope to be painting this weekend! I had planned a dark brown front wall with the ceiling matching that dark color. The other three walls possibly a lighter shade in the tan range but the other half is open to about anything as this is mostly a theater room.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

I would be happy to spray also. Whatever you recommended to give the best results wold be great. Thanks mississippiMan
post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by rental pro View Post

I would be happy to spray also. Whatever you recommended to give the best results wold be great. Thanks mississippiMan

Well you could join up with this fellow....:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/859818/cmras-s-i-l-v-e-r-solution-starts-here/540#post_22849213

Or as far as a paint change, RS-MaxxMudd LL with 2 oz additional Liquitex 5.0 Neutral Gray and 6 oz UPW Flat added to the prescribed Mix amounts.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page